Friday, March 18, 2016

Midge The Joker

 “Hello Jake!” called Midge as she and Booker-T came through the gate at Jake's house.
“Hey Jake!” called Booker-T as he sat down near the porch, smiling at Jake.
“Hi you guys,” said Jake. “What are you two doing this morning? You look like you two are doing something sneaky.”
“Are you sleeping Jake?” laughed Midge, as she joined Booker-T and sat down.
“No,” said Jake shaking his head. “I'm talking to you, aren't I? Why do you think I'm sleeping? Do I look like I'm sleeping?”
“You asked us what we were doing,” said Midge. If you aren't sleeping, you would know what we are doing, wouldn't you?”
“Right,” agreed Jake. “Does that mean I'm sleeping now because I ask what you are doing?”

“Nope, said Booker-T. “What we are doing is walking through your gate, coming to see you.”
“Ha ha ha,” laughed Jake. “I see you coming through the gate.”
“Good,” said Booker-T. “Now we are getting somewhere.”
“Where are we going?” asked Midge.
“No where,” said Booker-T. “Just here to Jake's house.”
“This is somewhere,” said Jake. “If you were going no where, you would still be at home, wouldn't you?”
“I guess you are right,” laughed Booker-T. “So we did go somewhere, right Midge?”
“Okay,” said Jake. “So, now that we have that cleared up, what are you two doing?”
“We came to ask you if you want to go to the zoo holding facility and see what new animals are there today,” said Midge. “We haven't been there in over two weeks. I want to see what animals are there now. I have a curious mind.”
“Sure,” said Jake. “I know you have a very curious mind. I guess it has been a while since we were there.”
“Great,” said Booker-T. “Lets go now. I'm ready.”
The three friends started walking along the sidewalk to the little zoo building. They had gone about a block when Midge saw a tricycle in the middle of the sidewalk.
“Hey guys,” said Midge. “I want to ride the tricycle.”
“You can't ride the tricycle,” said Jake.
“Why not?” asked Midge. “I can ride it like the kids do. I have watched them before.”
“How are you going to ride a tricycle?” asked Jake. “Your legs are not long enough to reach the peddles to ride it.”
“Sure I can ride it,” said Midge. “Do you doubt me?”
“Jake,” said Booker-T. “You know it does no good to say she can't do something. She will eventually prove us wrong.”
“Have we ever doubted you?” asked Jake. “Okay Midge, how are you going to ride the tricycle with your short little legs?”
“Come on,” said Midge. “I will show you how I can ride it. Just watch the master at work here.”
Midge jumped onto the seat of the tricycle. She sat down and put her front paws on the handle bars. Her rear legs were stretched out in front of her, but were too short to reach to the peddles. She looked at Jake and then at Booker-T. She then looked down at her hind legs sticking out there in front and knew she was not going to be able to peddle the tricycle. Again she glanced at Jake and then Booker-T.
“Okay Midge,” laughed Jake. “Lets see you ride the tricycle. I am standing here watching.”
“I want to see you ride it too,” said Booker-T. “Maybe your curious mind can make it move.”
Midge looked at Jake and smiled and blinked her eyes at him,” Push me Jake!”
“I didn't think of that,” said Jake. “I'm slipping. I can usually figure you out.”
“You fooled us,” laughed Booker-T.
Jake and Booker-T put their paws on the back of the tricycle and gave a big push. The tricycle started slowly rolling down the street and as it started to slow down, Jake ran and pushed it hard again. The tricycle took off slowly, but this time it neared a slight slope in the road and suddenly the tricycle took off down the hill picking up speed as it went along the road.
“Jake!” screamed Midge. “How do I steer this thing?”
“Jump off Midge!” screamed Booker-T. “Before you hit something or fall off.”
“I can't!” said Midge. “It's going too fast. Make it stop Jake!”
Jake and Booker-T ran behind the tricycle trying to catch it. The front wheel turned toward the yard and ran into the curb and Midge flew over the handlebars, landing on her bottom on the grass near the sidewalk.
“Are you alright?” asked Jake as he and Booker-T ran to where she was sitting on the ground. The Tricycle now sat against the curb where it stopped. “It was a good thing that you landed on the grass and not the concrete sidewalk.”
“My bottom is sore,” said Midge. “But I think I'm okay. I will see if everything is moving okay when I stand up.”
“Do you still want to go to the zoo or back home?” asked Booker-T. “Maybe you are too sore to go looking at animals today. Maybe we should wait for another day.”
“Maybe you are right and we should go home,” said Midge. “We can go to the zoo another day I think. I want to see the animals, but my bottom is too sore now.”
“I think that is a good idea,” said Booker-T.
“I told you I would ride the tricycle,didn't I?” said Midge as she stood up and made sure all her legs were moving right.
“Yes you did,” said Jake. “You fooled us too. You rode and we pushed.”
“That's my tricycle,” laughed Midge. “Eight feet animal power.”
“Lets go home,” said Jake. “I'm hungry now.”
“You are always hungry Jake,” laughed Midge.
The three friends strolled slowly along the sidewalk on their way home, happy that Midge was okay.


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T