Friday, April 15, 2016

Midge Lost in Thought

Midge was sitting on the front porch staring at the sky above, deep in thought and didn't notice Jake and Booker-T as they came through the gate.
   “Midge,” said Jake. “What are you doing?”
   “Midge!” called Booker-T. “Earth to Midge. Are you in there somewhere?”
   “Midge!” called Jake.
   “Oh, hi you guys,” said Midge.  “When did you get here?”
   “We've been here a few minutes calling your name,” said Jake.
   “You were lost in thought somewhere,” said Booker-T.  “Where were you?”

    “I was staring at the clouds and watching them float by so peacefully,” smiled Midge.
   “But what were you thinking about?” asked Jake.
    “Remember when we talked about all those goofy songs?” asked Midge. 
   “I remember,” said Jake. “Were you thinking about them again?”
   “Oh, no,” said Midge shaking her head. “I was trying to make up a pretty song.”
   “How were you doing?” asked Jake.
   “Did you think of a good one?” asked Booker-T.  “Tell us.”
   “As I sit beneath the sunlit sky,” sang Midge. “I watch the soft white clouds floating peacefully across the blue sky.  A gentle breeze is whispering through the trees as it calls to me.”
   “That is nice Midge,” smiled Jake.  “You are doing good.”
    “I like it too,” smiled Booker-T.  “What else?”
    “That's all I got so far,” said Midge.  “I was trying to think of something else when I heard you calling me.”
    “How about adding,” said Jake. “I close my eyes and picture you here with me, sitting on the front porch swing.”
    “The air is filled with the light scent of roses,” added Booker-T.  “Drifting on the gentle breeze.”
    “I turned and gazed into your deep brown eyes,” said Midge. “As you said I love you with your sweet voice.”
    “Oh,” said Jake. “This is coming along really nice.”
    “Think we will have a hit song?” asked Booker-T.
    “How are we going to have a hit song?” laughed Midge. “No one will understand what we are saying except another animal.”
    “I guess that's true,” said Jake. “Like your story you were making up in your head one day.”
    “You could sing it to your boyfriend dog if you get one,” laughed Booker-T.
    “Or you could sing it to your girlfriend cat if you get one Booker-T,” smiled Midge.
    “Think we will ever have a boyfriend or girlfriend?” asked Booker-T.
    “Maybe,” said Jake.  “I had a girlfriend dog for a short time, once.”
    “When was that, Jake?” asked Midge.
    “When my owner first moved into the house, there was some people next door who had a little white poodle,” said Jake. “She was a cute little dog and she used to come see me every day.”
    “Do you remember her name?” asked Booker-T. 
    “It was Pickles,” said Jake.
    “Pickles?” asked Midge.  “Oh, that is a funny name for a dog.”
    “It was strange,” said Jake. “I asked her one day, why her name was pickles and she told me it was because she liked to eat pickles.”
    “I like the pickles that come on hamburgers,” said Midge.
    “Me too,” said Jake.
    “What happened to Pickles?” asked Booker-T.
    “Her owners moved to Paris for work,” said Jake.  “They took her with them.”
    “Do you ever miss her?” asked Midge.
    “For a while I did,” said Jake. “But I don't think about it anymore.  She was nice and I am happy that  we were friends.”
    “I think you had a girlfriend cat too Booker-T,” said Jake.
    “No,” said Booker-T shaking his head.
    “Don't you remember Susie?”  asked Midge.
    “Oh yes, I remember,” said Booker-T.  “But she really wasn't a girlfriend. She was just a friend. I miss having her at the house sometimes.”
    “She was really nice,” said Midge.  “I liked Susie, but was happy that she could stay with her owner.”
    “Me too,” agreed Booker-T.  “Did you have anyone that was your boyfriend dog Midge?”
    “No,” said Midge.  “My first friend was Jake.  I met him at the park when our owners took us out for a morning walk.”
    “I remember that morning,” smiled Jake. “I thought Midge was snotty at first because she wouldn't speak to me.”
    “Why?” asked Booker-T.
    “I don't know,” said Jake.  “Why didn't you speak to me at first that day?”
    “I think you were a big strong looking dog and I was so small then,” said Midge. “I was a little afraid.  After I saw how gentle you were, I felt like it was okay to talk to you.”
    “I'm glad you did,” said Jake. “We have been friends for a long time.”
    “Me too,” smiled Midge.  “I think it was about a year later that we met you Booker-T.”
    “As a cat,” said Booker-T.  “I was afraid of dogs.  I saw you two together a lot but always tried to hide and stay away.”
    “I'm glad you started talking to us,” said Jake.
    “Me too,” said Booker-T.  “Midge was so good to me, finding me that nice home next door to her.”
    “Think about it Jake,” said Midge.  “We are a group of friends that most people would not be able to figure out.”
    “Why?” asked Jake.
    “Look at us,” said Midge. “We are two dogs, a cat, a turtle and a bird.  We have had other friends like other dogs and cats.”
    “I guess the five of us are different,” said Booker-T.  “I never would have thought I could be friends with a bird or two dogs.  A turtle maybe, but dogs and a bird seem strange for a cat to be friends with them.”
    “Midge is good at bringing friends together,” said Jake. “If anyone can pull it off, Midge can.”
    “I'm glad you did,” said Booker-T.  “You two have really been good friends to me.”
    “You too Booker-T,” smiled Midge.
    “Maybe you can do a song about our friendship, Midge,” said Jake.
    “That would be a great song, Midge,” said Booker-T.
    “Yes it would,” smiled Midge.  “I will think about it tonight when I'm getting ready for bed.”


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T