Friday, May 6, 2016

Walking in the Rain

 “Raindrops keep falling on my head,” sang Midge as she and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk splashing through the puddles on the sidewalk.
“They keep falling,” added Booker-T. “Why are we walking in the rain?”
“Because we are going to Jake's house,” said Midge. “And it's raining.”
“Maybe we should have stayed home inside the house today,” suggested Booker-T.
“Rain rain go away,” sang Midge. “Come again another day.”
“I'm ready for some sunshine,” sighed Booker-T. “This is the fourth day of rain.”
“Hey Jake!” called Midge as her and Booker-T hurried through the gate. “Where are you?”
“Hey you two,” said Jake as he sat up in the swing. “Did you come in an ark?'
“No,” said Midge shaking her head. “What is an ark?”
“It's like a boat,” said Jake. “But I think it is really big.”
“We didn't have an ark,” said Booker-T. “Not even a little boat.”
“I got tired of being in the house every day,” said Midge.
“How can we get an ark?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't think anyone sells arks,” said Midge. “Maybe we could find a boat.”
“If this rain keeps on coming,” said Jake. “We might need to find an ark.”
“Can we get a boat or ark with a roof?” asked Booker-T.
“You want a roof on it?” asked Jake.
“Yes,” smiled Booker-T. “Look at me.”
“You are wet,” said Midge. “Me too.”
“But I look like a drowned rat,” sighed Booker-T. “And I'm cold right now. Can we go inside your basement laundry room?”
“Come on,” said Jake as he took off running around the house to the back and through the doggie door.
Midge ran around the back of the house following Jake. She hit a puddle and slid into the wall.
“Midge!” shouted Booker-T. “Are you okay? Wow, you really slid.”
“What happened?” asked Jake as he poked his head back out the doggie door. “Why are you laying in that puddle of water?”
“I was running behind you and slid in the water,” said Midge as she picked herself up and followed Booker-T into the house.
Once inside, the three stood there and shook off the water.
“I'm hungry,” said Midge. “Do you have anything to eat?”
“Sure,” said Jake. “I think the bag of food is open.”
“Booker-T,” said Midge. “Are you warming up now?”
“It's warm in here,” said Booker-T. “It feels good in here. The rain is cold.”
“Do you remember the little saying about the rain going away?” asked Midge.
“The one the kids used to say all the time when it rained a long time?” asked Jake.
“That's the one,” smiled Midge.
“I remember it,” said Jake.
“Will you say it?” asked Booker-T.
“Sure,” said Jake rolling his eyes. “Let me think a minute. It's been a long time since I heard it.”
“It starts out, Rain rain go away,” said Booker-T.
“Yes, that's it,” said Jake. “Rain rain go away, come again another day. Little Midge wants to play.”
“Ha ha,” laughed Booker-T.
“That's it,” said Midge. “I wish the rain would go away and stay away for several days.”
“Me too,” said Jake. “It is so boring with no sunshine to play in.”
“We can play in the rain,” said Midge.
“But we could catch cold getting wet,” said Booker-T.
“We take baths and get wet,” said Midge.
“But when they give us a bath, the water is warm,” said Jake.
“The rain is cold feeling,” said Booker-T.
“It's warm in here so we can get warm now,” said Midge.
“Maybe it will quit raining before we go home,” said Booker-T.
“I hope so,” said Midge.
“What if it don't stop raining?” asked Jake.
“We will have to walk back home in the rain,” said Midge.
“You are a nut,” Laughed Jake.
“I like splashing in the puddles too,” smiled Midge. “It's fun.”
“Do you want to go run in the rain?” asked Booker-T.
“No,” said Jake. “It is cold today. I like to run in the rain when the weather is warmer.”
“It is cold,” said Midge.
“Did you find the food?” asked Booker-T.
“Oh,” said Jake. “I forgot about the food.”
“I'm hungry,” said Booker-T.
“You are like Midge,” said Jake. “She's always hungry.”
“I think you are too,” laughed Midge.
“Help me pull the bag,” said Jake.
Midge grabbed one side of the bag while Jake grabbed the other side and they tugged at the big bag until they pulled it out into the middle of the floor. When they let go of the bag, it tipped over and dog food went all over the floor.
“Oh no,” said Jake. “My owner is not going to be happy when she sees this mess.”
“After we eat,” said Midge. “Booker-T and I will help you pick it back up what is left.”
“You and Midge can drag the bag back to the wall after we pick it up,” said Booker-T.
The three stood there eating and laughing. When they finished eating, they started picking up the other pieces of food and dropped them back into the bag. Booker-T put his front paws on the bag to drop a mouthful of food into the bag and it tipped over spilling a large amount of food all over the floor.
“Oh no!” said Midge. “Now we have a lot more to clean up.”
“I think I'm too short to get the food back in the bag,” said Booker-T.
“Me too,” said Midge. “You are the only one tall enough to reach to the top of the bag, Jake.”
“I'll put it into the bag,” said Jake. “But you two push all the pieces over here for me.”
“That we can do,” laughed Midge.
“Hey,” said Booker-T. “There is a stool over there.”
“I can stand on it Jake,” said Midge. “Then I can reach the bag.”
“Okay,” said Jake as he walked over to the other side of the room and dragged the stool back to where the bag stood. “See if you can reach the top of the bag now.”
Midge leaped onto the stool and was able to reach the bag. “Okay,” said Midge. “I can reach. Lets hurry and pick up all this food.”
Booker-T and Midge pushed the food over to the bag as Jake was picking the pieces up and dropping them into the bag. When all the pieces were in a pile near the bag, Midge started helping Jake put the food back into the bag. They worked for about an hour getting it all up off the floor.
“It looks good now Jake,” said Midge.
“Where did Booker-T go?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Midge as she looked around the room.
“I'm here,” said Booker-T as he walked into the room. “It stopped raining.”
“Maybe we better go home before the rain starts again,” said Midge.
“Okay,” agreed Booker-T.
Booker-T and Midge walked back outside with Jake following behind. They said good-bye and Midge and Booker-T hurried along the sidewalk to get home before the rain started again.


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T