Thursday, November 10, 2016

Memories


“Hey Midge!” called Booker-T as he sat on her front porch staring at the door. “Where are you?” Midge!”
“Hi Booker-T,” greeted Jake as he joined him on the porch. “Where is Midge?”
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “I have been calling her name but she hasn't come outside.”
“Did you go inside?” asked Jake. “The doggie door in the back is always open.”
“I tried,” said Booker-T. “It is locked right now.”
“She must be gone with her owner somewhere,” suggested Jake.
“Maybe this is time for her vet checkup and shots,” said Booker-T.
“Maybe,” said Jake. “I think mine is next week and I know Midge always went before I did.”
“I hope that is where she went,” said Booker-T. “I hope she is not sick.”
“Have you ever seen Midge sick?” asked Jake.

“I don't think I have,” said Booker-T. “She is always feeling good. She just gets herself into spots sometimes.”
“Oh yes,” laughed Jake. “She does do that. Remember the day she wanted to fly and had Gabby bring her all kinds of feathers.”
“I'm so glad she didn't get hurt that day,” said Booker-T. “When she jumped off that hill, I was holding my breath that she didn't get hurt.”
“Me too,” said Jake. “Gabby kept trying to talk her out of it but you know Midge. When she gets it into her head to do something, she won't give up til she tries.”
“I know,” agreed Booker-T. “I remember her sled ride down the hill when she went head first into the snow.”
“She looked funny with her feet sticking up in the air and wiggling,” said Jake. “I ran down the hill so fast to pull her out.”
“I was afraid she was going to smother under the snow,” said Booker-T. “She sure liked riding the sled even though it landed her head first into the snow.”
“The skateboard ride was scary,” said Jake. “She insisted on riding that thing down the concrete hill that the kids were using.”
“She came down the hill pretty good,” said Booker-T. “But then the skateboard didn't make it all the way up that other hill and she fell backward onto the concrete.”
“I think she limped a little for a week,” said Jake. “Do you remember when she thought the aliens had landed in the park?”
“Which ones?” laughed Booker-T.
“That's right,” said Jake. “She thought they had landed twice. The first time, she was so excited that they had landed.”
“I remember,” said Booker-T. “That was when she saw the hot air balloon landing. She was so sure the balloon was their space ship and they had just landed on earth. She was so excited when she got us to go to the park with her.'
“She was so disappointed that the aliens hadn't landed,” said Jake.
“She does love getting into things also,” said Booker-T. “Remember when we sneaked into the circus?”
“That was fun,” said Booker-T. “I really liked seeing the tigers. Orange is a good color.”
“I think it is your favorite color,” laughed Jake.
“Midge did a good thing for me,” said Booker-T. “Remember?”
“I do,” smiled Jake. “She is why you have the nice home next door to her. Midge knew that your owner loved cats.”
“I'm so thankful Midge found me the nice home,” said Booker-T. “Living in the alley behind the cafe wasn't always good.”
“She helped Snappy get his nice new home too,” said Jake. “Winter was so cold for Snappy out at the pond and the mean boys always threw rocks at him.”
“Snappy really likes his new tank home,” said Booker-T. “Midge has been so good to everyone.”
“She is a friend to everyone,” said Jake. “She has a good heart but she sure can get into mischief at times.”
“Her adventures are sure interesting sometimes,” said Booker-T. “But sometimes it is a little scary too.”
“Why scary?” asked Jake.
“She could get hurt with some of her adventures,” said Booker-T. “Remember the farm?”
“Oh yes,” laughed Jake. “It is funny now but I was sure that the bull was going to get her.”
“I think she was scared too,” said Booker-T.
“She sure wasn't scared of the big elephant when we went to the circus,” laughed Jake. “She got right up there and talked to him.”
“I think she is smart too,” said Booker-T. “We can't talk to our owners, but she found a way to get the pond built in the back yard.”
“I think our owners understand us more than we know,” said Jake. “She will try anything.”
“From dancing to get some free food,” said Booker-T. “To taking some risks that we wouldn't do.”
Jake started laughing.
“What is so funny?” asked Booker-T.
“Remember when she thought the monsters had come to town?” asked Jake.
“Which monsters?” asked Booker-T.
“Remember the dinosaur exhibit?” reminded Jake. “She thought the monsters had come.”
“Oh,” laughed Booker-T. “I remember. Do you think they were really that big?”
“I think so,” said Jake.
“I am really glad that they were not real,” said Booker-T. “They would have stepped on our houses if they walked around here.”
“They looked like they would really be scary walking around town,” said Jake.
“She sure has done a lot over the years,” said Booker-T. “Dancing for food, sneaking into a dance contest, getting us some hamburgers with a coupon, riding the train to the zoo.”
“It has really been fun being with Midge,” said Jake. “Midge is a really fun friend.”
“Here comes Midge now,” said Booker-T. “See her in the back window of the car.”
When the car pulled into the driveway and her owner opened the door, Midge jumped out and ran to the porch where Booker-T and Jake sat.
“What are you guys doing?” asked Midge. “I had my vet day today. I had to get a checkup and my yearly shots.”
“I forgot it was time for that,” said Booker-T. “I kept calling your name and you didn't answer. I tried the doggie door and it was locked.”
“You were waiting for me?” asked Midge.
“Yes,” said Jake. “And talking about memories.”
“What memories?” asked Midge.
“About what kind of nice friend you are,” said Booker-T.

“You guys are so nice,” said Midge. “I am happy we all are friends.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T