Thursday, March 2, 2017

What Happened to Spring

Midge came dancing out of the bedroom, singing. “Good morning Snappy!”
“You are in a good mood this morning,” smiled Snappy. “What are you going to do today?”
“Jake, Booker-T and I are going to the park to swim in the pond,” smiled Midge. “It's going to be so much fun.”
“Maybe you should look out the window,” said Snappy.
“Why?” asked Midge as she jumped into the chair beside the tank and peered out the window..
“What do you see?” asked Snappy.
“Oh my goodness,” sighed Midge as she looked from the window to Snappy and back to the window. “When did that start?”
“It was doing that when I woke up this morning,” said Snappy. “Did you know it was going to do that?”
“No,” said Midge. “I thought we were done with snow. We can't swim in the pond with snow on the ground.”

“Is Jake and Booker-T coming to our house?” asked Snappy.
“They are suppose to come,” said Midge. “Why did it snow again?”
“I think winter is still hanging around,” said Snappy. “Maybe you can find something else to do today.”
“It was so warm yesterday,” said Midge pressing her nose against the window. “What happened?”
“Hey Midge!” called Jake as he entered the room.
“Hi Jake,” said Midge. “Did you see what it is doing outside?”
“I just came in the house from outside,” said Jake. “Yes, it is snowing.”
“When did winter come back?” asked Booker-T as he joined Midge and Jake in the room.
“Hi Booker-T,” said Midge. “I think it came back in the night when we were sleeping.”
“It quietly came and brought the snow with it,” said Snappy. “When I used to live at the pond, I've seen it do this before. Not a lot, but sometimes.”
“The ground is starting to get white,” sighed Midge. “We can't go swimming in the snow.”
“It is too cold to swim,” said Booker-T. “We can go play in the snow.”
“We aren't taking the sled,” said Jake.
“I didn't think about the sled,” said Booker-T.
“That would be fun,” said Midge.
“Oh no,” said Jake. “The snow isn't deep enough for the sled. Maybe we can find another trashcan lid to ride down the hill. That was so much fun.”
“Maybe we can take our lid with us,” said Midge. “But we can't lose it or my owner would not be happy if she comes home and there is no trashcan lid.”
“She wouldn't know that we took it,” said Jake.
“I know,” said Midge. “but I don't want to lose her lid to the trashcan.”
“Are you going to the park?” asked Snappy.
“Hi Snappy,” said Jake. “Sorry I forgot to say hi when I came in.”
“Me too,” said Booker-T. “Hi.”
“I think we are going to the park,” smiled Midge. “And ride down the hill on the trashcan lid.”
“Lets go,” said Booker-T.
“Be careful in the cold,” said Snappy.
“We will see you later,” said Midge.
The three said good-bye to Snappy and hurried to the back door. Outside, Midge grabbed the trashcan lid from the trashcan. They started walking along the sidewalk in the cold snow as Jake dragged the lid beside him.
“My feet are cold,” said Booker-T.
“Mine are too,” said Midge. “Why did it snow again?”
“I think maybe because winter is still here,” said Jake stopping and letting the lid drop to the ground.
“Do you want me to carry it?” asked Midge. “I can drag it for a while.”
“It is so cold out here this morning,” said Jake. “Do you really want to go ride the lid down the hill?”
“Why is it so cold this morning?” asked Booker-T.
“We are almost to the park now,” said Midge. “Can we each take one ride down the hill and then come home?”
“Do you want to go Booker-T?” asked Jake.
“Okay,” said Booker-T. “We can take one ride and then come home.”
Jake picked up the lid and they hurried along the sidewalk to the park. When they entered the park, they ran to the hill across the park and up to the top of the hill.
“Okay, Midge,” said Jake. “You ride it down first.”
“Okay,” said Midge as she climbed onto the upside down lid. “Oooh!”
“What happened?” asked Booker-T.
“The lid is really cold,” said Midge. “Give me a push.”
Jake and Booker-T shoved the lid and it started down the hill. Faster and faster it went as it slid down the hill. Midge was laughing as the lid started to spin on the way down.
“Jake!” screamed Midge as the lid headed toward a tree.
“Jump Midge!” shouted Jake. “You are going to hit that tree.”
Midge leaped from the lid just before it slammed hard into the tree at the bottom of the hill. Jake and Booker-T ran down the hill to where Midge lay in the snow.
“Are you okay?” asked Booker-T.
“I think so,” said Midge as she walked to the lid laying on near the tree. “But I don't think my owner's lid is too good. What am I going to do Jake?”
“Do about what?” asked Jake.
“The lid is bent,” said Booker-T. “What is your owner going to say?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “We better go home and I'll put the lid back. Maybe she won't notice it.”
“Do you think she will be mad?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “She won't know it was us and I can't tell her since she don't speak Bark.”
“She will never know what happened,” said Booker-T. “Lets go so you can put the lid back on the can.”
Jake picked up the bent lid and they walked back to Midge's house. When they got to the house, Jake set the lid on top of the can and the three stood there staring at the lid.
“It looks bad Jake,” sighed Midge. “She is going to know it is bent.”
“It will be okay,” said Jake. “Lets go inside and get warm.”

Midge kept looking back at the bent lid as the three entered the house. They went to the living room and curled up on the big chairs to get warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T