Friday, May 12, 2017

The Swing

Midge and Booker-T slowly walked along the sidewalk on the way to Jake's house. As they passed the house across the street from Jake's house, they stopped and watched some kids outside swinging on the swings and going up and down on the teeter totter.
“That looks fun, Booker-T,” said Midge. “I want to do that too.”
“You can't swing on that,” said Booker-T. “How will you hang on?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Maybe it would go slow and I don't need to hold on.”
“You might slide off and land on the ground,” said Booker-T.
“Will you push me if I climb on it?” asked Midge.
“Maybe we better get Jake,” said Booker-T. “I think he can push it better than I can.”
“Okay,” agreed Midge as they started walking into the yard at Jake's house.
“What are you two doing?” asked Jake. “What were you looking at?”
“We were watching those kids swinging on those swings,” said Midge. “That looks like fun, Jake.”

“They swing on them all the time,” said Jake.
“I want to do that,” said Midge.
“Why?” asked Jake.
“That's a silly question to ask Midge,” laughed Booker-T. “You know she just wants to do it because someone else is doing it.”
“That's a dumb reason to do something,” said Jake. “Why do you want to swing on them?”
“It looks like fun,” said Midge.
“How will you stay on when it is swinging?” asked Jake. “You don't have hands like those kids do.”
“Maybe I could hold on with my mouth,” suggested Midge.
“That will look funny,” laughed Booker-T.
“They have a new playground at the park,” said Jake.
“Do they have swings?” asked Midge.
“They have swings and a slide and some teeter toters,” said Jake. “They also have a merry-go-round.”
“Oh, I want to ride the merry-go-round too,” said Midge. “I want to ride on one of those horses going up and down.”
“This is a different kind of merry-go-round,” said Jake. “You get on and someone pushes it round and round and that's all it does. You just sit on it.”
“That might be fun,” said Booker-T.
“It might make you dizzy going round and round,” said Jake.
“I will try,” said Midge. “I want to swing on the swings. Lets go.”
Jake knew he would not change Midge's mind. She always wants to try what the kids are doing. They walked along the sidewalk on their way to the park. At the corner, they looked both ways before running across the street into the park. They hurried across the park to the the pond area where they found the playground.
“Wow,” said Midge. “This is nice. They even have a sand box we can play in.”
“The sandbox would be safer than the swings,” said Jake.
“But I want to swing,” said Midge. “Will you push me on the swing?”
“Okay,” said Jake. “I know you won't give it up until you try.”
They walked to the swings and Midge tried to climb onto the swing. “Hold it,” said Midge. “I can't get on. It keeps moving.”
“Okay,” said Jake grabbing the side of the swing seat.
Booker-T was sitting on the ground laughing at Midge trying to get onto the seat.
“What are you laughing at?” asked Midge.
“You,” laughed Booker-T. “You looked funny trying to get on and it was moving.”
“Ha ha,” said Midge. “I will get up there. Wait and see.”
“I'm waiting and watching,” said Booker-T, trying not to laugh.
Jake held the swing seat tight and Midge leaped onto it. She sat still and didn't move. “Okay Jake,” said Midge. “Give me a push so I can swing high.”
“I don't know how high I can make you go,” said Jake as he stood behind her and started to push the swing forward.
As the swing moved and got a little higher than it was, Midge slid off and landed on top of Jake and the swing came back and hit Midge in the head.
“Ouch!” said Jake.
“Ouch, me too,” said Midge. “Are you okay?”
“I'll be okay if you get off me,” said Jake. “Why are you saying ouch? You landed on me.”
“The swing hit me in the head,” said Midge. “That hurt.”
Booker-T was rolling in the grass laughing at the two on the ground.
“What is so funny?” asked Midge.
“You two,” laughed Booker-T. “Why don't you ride the merry-go-round. It might be safer.”
“I want to swing,” said Midge. “Let me get on and when I have a hold of the chain, then you push me.”
“Don't fall on me this time,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge as she leaped back onto the swing seat.
When she grabbed the chain with her mouth, Jake started to push the swing forward. He quickly let go and got out of the way as Midge started to slide backward. As the swing started backward, Midge slid from the seat and was hanging in the air still holding onto the chain.
Booker-T was still rolling on the ground laughing at her. “You look so funny Midge.”
Midge let go of the chain and landed in the sand below the swing and ducked her head down so the swing wouldn't hit her.
“Are you okay?” asked Jake as he walked over to where Midge sat in the sand.
“I'm okay,” sighed Midge. “I really wanted to ride the swing.”
“Maybe you can swing in one of those baby seats,” suggested Booker-T.
“See those swings over there,” pointed Booker-T. “Those swings look like little bucket seats.”
“But I'm not a baby,” said Midge.
“It's okay,” said Jake. “You aren't a kid either.”
“Okay, lets go swing on the baby seat,” said Midge as she got up and started toward the baby swings.”
Booker-T and Jake followed Midge to the other swings on the other side of the big slide. Jake held the swing as Midge jumped in. She sat down and was ready to swing.
“Push the swing Jake,” said Midge.
Jake gave the swing a big push and Midge started to swing back and forth a little. “This is fun,” laughed Midge. “Push me again.”
Midge swang back and forth and back and forth. Jake sat down next to Booker-T. “I'm tired of pushing. Lets go home,” said Jake.
“I want to rid the merry-go-round now,” said Midge.
“We will come back tomorrow and you can ride it,” said Jake. “I'm tired and want something to eat and drink.”

Midge agreed and the three walked back to Jake's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T