Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Baby Doll

 “Hi Midge,” greeted Jake as she entered the yard through the gate.
“Hi Jake,” smiled Midge.
“Where is Booker-T?” asked Jake.
“I didn't see him this morning,” said Midge. “His owner's niece is at the house.”
“Lets go see if he wants to go to the zoo with us,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge as they walked out the gate.
Jake and Midge walked to Booker-T's house. In the front yard they saw a baby buggy but the little girl wasn't around. They walked into the yard.
“Booker-T,” called Jake. “Where are you?”
Oh no,” thought Booker-T where he was laying down. “They can't see me this way.

“Booker-T,” called Midge. “Do you want to go to the zoo?”
No answer from Booker-T.
“Lets go see the little girl's baby in the buggy,” said Midge as she started toward the buggy.
Midge poked her nose over the edge of the buggy and looked inside. Booker-T laid really still under the blanket. “Go away Midge.” said Booker-T to himself.
“The little girl's baby doll is covered with a blanket,” said Midge. “I can't see what it looks like.”
“Why do you want to see it?” asked Jake.
Yes, why do you want to see it,” thought Booker-T. “It's just a doll.
“Here comes the little girl now,” said Jake. “Maybe she will show it to you.”
Oh no!” thought Booker-T.
The little girl walked to the buggy where Midge was standing there looking inside. Jake stood there and watched. “Hi doggies,” said the little girl. “You can't have my baby doll.”
Midge stood and look at the little girl and then back at Jake. “Maybe we better go to the zoo by ourselves Jake.”
“Okay,” said Jake. “Lets go.”
Suddenly something jumped out of the buggy and ran across the yard past Jake and Midge.
“What was that!?” said Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Maybe it was Booker-T. But why was he running so fast. Where did he come from.”
“I didn't see,” said Midge. “Did you see where it went?”
“No,” said Jake. “Let's go to your house and see if it went over there. I don't see it on the sidewalk anywhere.”
They hurried to Midge's house and entered the yard through the gate. Hiding behind the swing on the porch, they found Booker-T.
“Booker-T,” said Midge. “Is that you?”
“Yes,” said Booker-T as he poked his head out from behind the swing.
“What are you wearing?” asked Jake.
“That is a strange outfit for a cat,” said Midge.
“That little girl put this on me,” said Booker-T.
“Why?” asked Midge.
“She called me her baby,” said Booker-T. “I don't want to be a baby.”
“You don't like playing with her?” asked Jake.
“I am okay with playing but not with these clothes on,” sighed Booker-T. “Can you help me get this off?”
Midge pulled on the shirt and pulled it over Booker-T's head. The baby doll cap came off with the shirt. “There you are, Booker-T.” said Midge.
“That feels much better,” said Booker-T. “I don't like wearing clothes, Midge.”
“I know,” said Midge. “Why didn't you run away when she tried to put the clothes on you?”
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Maybe because my owner was standing there smiling. Can I stay at your house until she goes home?”
“Sure,” said Midge. How long will she be there.”
“I think she will be going home tomorrow,” said Booker-T. “I don't want to play baby doll anymore. Lets go to the zoo and see what animals are there.”
“Lets hurry,” said Booker-T.
“Why are you in a hurry?” asked Jake.
“I don't want the little girl to see me,” said Booker-T.
“Come on Booker-T,” laughed Midge. “we will protect you from the little girl.”
“Ha ha ha, Midge,” said Booker-T. “You can be here baby doll, Midge.”
“No no,” said Midge. “That is okay. Lets go the zoo.”
The three friends hurried through the gate and started up the sidewalk. At the gate stood a little girl with her hands on her hips. “Hey baby doll,” said the little girl. “Where you going?”
Booker-T stopped a minute and looked at her and then at Midge and Jake. “What am I going to do Midge?” asked Booker-T.
“Do you want to go play baby doll?” asked Jake.
“Not really,” said Booker-T. “I don't like wearing those baby clothes. I'm not a baby.”
“She just wants to play with you,” laughed Midge.
“Can't she play with me without the clothes,” said Booker-T. “I am a cat not a baby.”
“But you were so cute in that baby bonnet,” laughed Jake.
“Oh, aren't you funny,” said Booker-T. “Why don't you wear the baby clothes and play with her.”
“I'm too big for the clothes,” said Jake.
“Too bad,” said Booker-T.
“She is only going to be here one more day, Booker-T,” said Midge. “Maybe we can all play with her til she goes home.”
“Will you stay here and play with her too?” asked Booker-T.
“Sure,” said Jake. “We will stay.”
The little girl picked up Booker-T and carried him to the baby buggy and gently set him inside. Midge and Jake followed her to the buggy and stood beside it. “You can ride in the buggy while she pushes you around, Booker-T.” said Midge.
“I'm okay with her pushing me around,” said Booker-T. “I just don't want to wear the baby clothes.”
“Lets go for a walk, baby doll,” said the little girl as she started to push the baby carriage out the gate onto the sidewalk.
Booker-T curled up in the buggy and laid his head on the pillow. Jake and Midge followed behind them. “Doesn't he make a cute baby doll?” laughed Midge.
“I think so too,” said Jake.

“Ha ha ha, you two,” said Booker-T.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T