Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Resolution

Jake met Booker-T on his way to Midge's house. “Hey Booker-T!” called Jake.
“Hi Jake,” greeted Booker-T as he came running from the back of the house. “What are you doing?”
“I want to visit Snappy,” said Jake. “And of course Midge.”
“Me too,” said Booker-t. “I'll go with you.”
The two of them walked the short distance to Midge's house and hurried through the gate.
“Hey Midge,” called Jake. “What are you doing?”
“It's the new year and I'm trying to decide what I want to do,” said Midge. “We need a resolution.”
“We need a what?” asked Jake.
“Why do we want a revolution?” asked Booker-T.

“Not a revolution Booker-T,” said Midge. “A resolution.”
“What is a resolution?” asked Booker-T. “Why do we need one of those things?”
“It is something that people make for the new year,” said Midge. “I heard my owner telling her friend that she was going to make one.”
“What kind of resolution?” asked Jake.
“My owner said she was making a resolution to lose weight,” said Midge.
“But I don't want to lose weight,” said Jake. “I like my weight.”
“I don't either,” said Booker-T. “I'm little now.”
“What kind of resolution can we do?” asked Jake. “I think resolutions are for the humans to do, not us animals.”
“Maybe we can have a resolution to not do anything dangerous this year,” suggested Booker-T.
“I don't do anything dangerous,” said Midge. “I only have fun.”
“Oh really,” laughed Booker-T.
“How about riding that sled down the hill and going head first into the snow bank,” said Jake. “That was a little scary.”
“That could have happened to anyone,” said Midge. “I didn't get hurt.”
“Kids have long legs to control the sled,” said Jake. “You don't. Your legs are very short.”
“Or how about when you tried to ride that skateboard on the ramp,” said Booker-T.
“That was fun,” smiled Midge.
“But you landed on your back when you fell off and you limped all the way home,” said Booker-T. “You were lucky you didn't hurt your back.”
“But I didn't get hurt bad,” said Midge. “Just a little.”
“Then there was the time you jumped off the hill trying to fly like Gabby,” said Jake. “Remember that?”
“I just wanted to soar in the air like Gabby does,” said Midge.
“Dogs don't fly, Midge,” said Jake.
“It is okay for Gabby, but not you,” said Jake. “Dogs aren't built to fly. We don't have feathers.”
“Planes don't have feathers and they fly,” said Midge.
“They have engines,” said Booker-T. “I think that is what makes them fly.”
“Remember when we rode that trash can lid down the hill in the snow,” said Midge. “It went round and round and was so much fun.”
“Yes, and I think you hit the tree,” said Booker-T.
“I did,” laughed Midge. “But it was so much fun and I sure would like to do that again.”
“That's the resolution for you,” said Jake. “No dangerous things anymore.”
“But they make life interesting,” sighed Midge.
“No, Midge,” said Booker-T. “No more.”
“Make your resolution,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge. “My resolution is no dangerous things this year.”
“Good,” said Jake. “But now you have to follow it.”
“I will guys,” said Midge. “I will try.”
“Promise us,” said Booker-T.
“Do I have to promise it too?” asked Midge.
“Yes,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge. “I promise. Now can we go to the park?”
They all agreed and left the yard and walked along the sidewalk to the park.”
“What are they building over there?” asked Midge.
“Lets go see,” said Booker-T.
They ran across the street to the building site. “What does the sign say Jake?” asked Booker-T.
“Wow Jake,” said Midge. “Look at the big hole in the ground.”
“They are making a community swimming pool,” said Jake.
“What is a community swimming pool?” asked Booker-T.
“I think community is like a neighborhood,” said Midge.
“Yes,” said Jake. “I think so.”
“We are community so we can go too,” stated Booker-T.
“But look at this sign, guys,” Said Jake. “It says no dogs allowed.”
“They didn't say no cats,” smiled Booker-T. “Does that mean I can go?”
“I don't think so,” said Jake. “I think it is for the human community.”
“But we are community,” sighed Midge. “I want to go too. I think we can find a way in.”
“You usually do,” laughed Jake. “I have no doubt you will get in.”

Midge didn't say a word. She just sat there and smiled staring at the big hole.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T