Friday, June 22, 2018

The New Little Town


“I'm an old cowhand,” said Midge as she skipped over to Booker-T's house. “From the Rio Grande.”
“Who is from the Rio Grande?” asked Booker-T as Midge entered the yard. “I hear you singing about someone.”
“Some cowhand is from the Rio Grande,” said Midge. “Did your owner watch the news last night?”
“No,” said Booker-T. “Was the guy from the Rio Grande on the TV and where is the Rio Grande?”
“I don't know where it is,” said Midge. “They were singing the song on TV last night when they did the show about the new Western Town that they are making.”
“What is a cowhand?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Maybe Jake knows. Lets go to his house and go see how they are doing with the western town.”
“Do you know any more of the song?” asked Booker-T as they walked along the sidewalk.
“Lets see,” said Midge. “I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grand. But my legs ain't bowed and my cheeks ain't tan.”

“What kind of legs are bowed?” asked Booker-T. “Are your legs bowed?”
“I don't think so,” said Midge. “I don't know what bowed is.”
“He must not sit in the sun,” said Booker-T. “Maybe the sun makes your legs bowed.”
“I don't think so,” said Midge. “We are in the sun all the time and I don't think our legs are bowed.”
“But if we don't know what bowed is,” said Booker-T. “How do we know if our legs are bowed or not?”
“Well, I know what tan is,” laughed Midge. “It's when you get a sunburn. My owner likes to be in the sun and get a nice tan.”
“Why does she like getting a tan?” asked Booker-T. “Doesn't a tan change how you look?”
“Yes,” said Midge. “People like to do strange things.”
“I know,” said Booker-T. “My owner likes to change the color of her hair.”
“She don't like her hair?” asked Midge.
“I don't think so,” said Booker-T. “Does your owner put that stuff on her hair?”
“No,” said Midge. “She looks funny when she puts all these round things in her hair though.”
“What things?” asked Booker-T.
“When she takes them out of her hair in the mornings,” said Midge. “It is really curly.”
“My owner don't put anything in her hair at night,” said Booker-T. But in the mornings I watch her wrap her hair around this long thing that she plugged into the wall. When she takes it out of her hair, it's curly.”
“Why do people do that?” asked Midge.
“Why do they do what?” asked Jake as he met Midge and Booker-T walking along the sidewalk.
“Why do people change the color of their hair or make it look curly?” asked Booker-T.
“I think they like how it looks,” suggested Jake. “My owner does the same thing. I think it is a girl thing.”
“Maybe guys do it too,” suggested Booker-T.
“Maybe,” said Jake. “What are you two doing?”
“We want to go check out the western town they are building,” said Midge. “Want to come along with us?”
“Sure,” said Jake. “I want to see too.”
“What is an old cowhand, Jake?” asked Booker-T.
“I think it is a man human who takes care of cows,” said Jake.
“Like the cows at the farm?” asked Midge.
“I think so,” said Midge.
“What is bowed?” asked Booker-T.
“Isn't that where the girls wear a bow in their hair,” said Jake. “Like when you wear a bow in your fur Midge.”
“Why would a cowhand wear bows on his legs?” asked Midge. “That would sure look funny.”
“He wears bows on his legs?” asked Jake. “Who wears them?”
“In the song it says that the cowhand's legs aren't bowed,” said Booker-T. “Sing it Midge.”
“I heard this on TV last night,” said Midge. “I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande. My legs ain't bowed and my cheeks ain't tan.”
“He would look funny if he had bows on his legs,” said Jake. “So maybe it is good they aren't bowed.”
“I bet he would look funny with all the bows on his legs,” said Booker-T.
“Hi you guys,” greeted Gabby as he flew down to meet them.
“Hi Gabby,” said Jake.
“Where are you going?” asked Gabby.
“We want to see what they are doing in the western town,” said Midge.
“They are almost finished with it,” said Gabby. “It's a cool looking little town.”
“We will have a town inside of a town,” laughed Midge.
“I guess we will,” said Jake.
“I don't think anyone lives in JJ's Western Town,” said Gabby. “It is only for the humans to go to visit and see things there.”
“What kind of things?” asked Midge.
“The new sign at the little town said there will be music shows, shoot outs, pony rides, and dance shows,” said Gabby.
“That will be fun,” said Jake. “What's a shoot out?”
“In the old west,” said Gabby. “The cowboys used to shoot guns at each other.”
“Oh, that is scary,” said Midge.
“Why are they going to shoot at people?” asked Booker-T.
“It is all pretend,” said Gabby. “Like in the movies.”
“I want to see,” said Midge. “And I want to ride the pony.”
“How are you going to rid the pony?” asked Jake. “You can't do that.”
“Shhhh,” said Booker-T. “Tell Midge she can't won't work Jake.”
“I guess you are right,” said Jake. “Riding a pony will be hard to do.”
“Never say never,” laughed Midge as they stood staring at the new little town.
They crossed the street and entered the little town that now stood in the old circus field.
“Wow Midge,” said Booker-T. “This is cool looking. Did the buildings in the old west look like these?”
“I think so,” said Jake. “They sure look different than the houses we live in.”
“Look at that one over there,” said Midge. “It has little doors in the middle. We can walk right under them. Lets go see what is inside.”
They hurried to the building with the little doors and walked inside and stood looking around the room. “What is it?” asked Midge.
“I think it is something they call a saloon,” said Jake. “I think they come here to drink.”
“Drink what?” asked Booker-T.
“I think it is what big people drink,” said Jake. “Like beer.”
“Oh boy,” said Midge. “Does your owner like beer?”
“No,” said Jake. “She drinks a lot of water.”
“Mine too,” smiled Midge. “Does your owner drink beer Booker-T?”
“Sometimes she will drink one,” said Booker-T. “But most of the time she drinks water.”
“Does the sign say when it will open?” asked Midge.
“It says the big opening for the little town will be in a week,” said Jake.
“Yippee,” said Midge. “I want to come back.”
“Me too,” said Jake. “Lets go to the zoo today and come back here when it opens.”
They all agreed and started walking to the zoo facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T