Sunday, July 14, 2019

Baxter


Jake, Midge and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk to the zoo building where they transferred the animals to bigger zoos. As they neared the building, Midge noticed construction going on close by.
“What are they making Jake?” asked Midge as they walked to where a large sign stood. “what does it say, Jake?”
“They are making a petting zoo,” read Jake. “It says they will have baby goats, lambs, pot bellied pigs, a little donkey and a small horse. It says for all the kids to come and visit when they open.”
“What is a pot bellied pig?” asked Booker-T. “Don't all pigs have a big belly?”
“I don't know why,” said Jake. “It will be fun to see the animals.”
“Why do they call it a petting zoo?” asked Booker-T.

“Because the little human kids can come and pet the animals like our owners pet us,” said Jake.
“Maybe when we come,” said Midge. “The little humans will pet us too. I like it when the humans pet me.”
“They little ones might pull your ears and tail too,” said Booker-T.
“Oh,” said Midge, “Maybe we will have to be careful when we come.”
“We can come talk to the animals like we do in the zoo transfer building,” said Jake.
“We will have new friends in cages,” smiled Booker-T.
“I think they will be in a big fenced yard so little humans can go in and pet them,” said Jake.
“When will the petting zoo will be ready?” asked Midge.
“The sign says it will be ready in two more weeks,” read Jake.
“Lets see what animals are inside,” said Booker-T.
They went to the door of the transfer building and stood looking around the big room.
“There is a zebra in the back,” aid Midge. “And a deer over there.”
“I see some monkeys over there,” said Booker-T. “And look at the pretty eagle in that cage. Isn't it big?”
“Lets talk to the eage,” said Midge. “It is the biggest bird I have ever seen and it is so pretty.”
They walked to the cage and stood staring at the majestic bird inside.
“Hello,” said Midge.
“Are you talking to me?” asked the eagle.
“Yes,” smiled Midge. “What is your name?”
“My friends call me Baxter,” said the eagle. “What do they call you and why are you outside the cages. Did you escape?”
“My name is Midge and these are my friends, Booker-T and Jake,” said Midge. “No, we didn't escape from any cage. We live in a house with our owners.”
“We are called pets,” said Jake. “And pets don't live in a zoo.”
“Why?” asked Baxter.
“We are all animals,” said Midge. “But you are wild and we are what the humans call domestic animals and we live in houses.”
“You three don't look the same,” said Baxter. “What kind of animals are you?”
“Jake is a dog,” said Midge. “I am a dog too but I am a different kind of dog. Jake is a boxer and I'm a cocker spaniel.”
“What kind of animal is Booker-T?” asked Baxter.
“I am a cat,” said Booker-T. “I am like a big tiger that is black and orange. But I am smaller.”
“I think the big tigers are scary,” said Baxter. “I saw one at the zoo I was at. He was always walking back and forth in his cage and growling.”
“Why are you scared?” asked Booker-T.
“Because they would eat me,” said Baxter.
“But you can fly away,” said Midge. “We can't run as fast as a tiger. He would eat us if he caught us. I wish I could fly like you.”
“Will you let me out of the cage so I can fly high?” asked Baxter. “I want to stretch my wings.”
“We don't have the key to the cages,” said Jake. “If we let you out, the man here would be angry with us.”
“I think they will take you to a really nice zoo where many humans will come to see you,” said Midge. “They like going to the zoo to see all the wild animals.”
“I don't want to be in a big zoo,” said Baxter. “I want to go fly with my friends. I miss them.”
“You will have some new friends at the big zoo,” said Booker-T.
“I will miss my old friends,” sighed Baxter. “Would you miss each other if someone took you away?”
“I think we would,” said Jake. “We play with each other every day.”
“Where do you live?” asked Baxter.
“We each live in a house,” said Midge.
“Do you live in the same house?” asked Baxter.
“No,” said Jake. “We live in different houses with different owners.”
“Why?” asked Baxter.
“I don't know why,” said Jake. “We just do. Some dogs and cats live in the same house together, but we don't.
“Do you miss your friends when you are in a different house?” asked Baxter.
“Maybe sometimes we do,” sighed Midge. “Don't you talk to the other birds?”
“No,” said Baxter. “We eagles only talk to the other eagles.”
“Why?” asked Booker-T. “If you talk to the other birds, you could have lots of nice friends.”
“I don't know why,” said Baxter. “Mother eagles only teach us to talk to the other eagles.”
“At the big zoo,” said Jake. “You will see lot of other birds there that you can talk to. Maybe you can try to talk to them. Here comes Gabby.”
“Who is Gabby?” asked Baxter.
“He is our bird friend,” said Midge. “You can talk to him.”
Gabby swooped down and landed on Midge's head.
“Hi Gabby,” said Midge. “Say hi to Baxter.”
“Howdy Baxter,” said Gabby. “Nice to meet you. You are an eagle aren't you?”
“Hi Gabby,” said Baxter. Yes, I'm a big eagle. You are really small. What kind of bird are you?”
“I'm a blue jay,” replied Gabby. “Do you have any blue jay friends?”
“No,” said Baxter. “All my friends are eagles. “I never talked to anyone else til your friends here came here and said hi to me.”
“That is sad,” sighed Gabby. “I can be your friend. I will come to visit you when you go to the big zoo on the other side of town.”
“I'd like that,” smiled Baxter. “Will your friends here come with you?”
“It is a long way to the other zoo and Midge, Jake and Booker-T can't fly,” said Gabby. “But I can come to see you.”
“You are all very nice,” said Baxter.
“You too Baxter,” smiled Midge. “You enjoy your new home and new friends. You will like it there.”
“Thanks,” smiled Baxter. “I will.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T