Monday, July 1, 2019

The Backup Plan


Midge and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk on their way to Jake's house.
“You are really quiet today, Midge,” said Booker-T. “Are you okay?”
“I'm good,” said Midge. “My owner's little niece is coming to visit this weekend. I wonder if Jake will let me stay at his house?”
“You don't like her niece?” asked Booker-T.
“She likes to pull my ears and my tail,” said Midge. “And it hurts. Why do little humans like to pull dog's ears and tails?”
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Maybe because they don't know it hurts. My owner's nephew likes to carry me around. I feel like a sack of beans.”

“If she pulls my tail,” said Midge. “Can I pull her hair?”
“Maybe,” said Booker-T. “You can try it. Lets ask Jake. Maybe he knows. I think he had a little one who liked to pull his tail and sometimes the little boy would grab his tail and run behind him.”
“Hey Jake!” called Booker-T as he and Midge entered the yard.
“Hi guys,” greeted Jake. “What's wrong Midge? Are you feeling sick today/”
“No,” said Midge. “Can I come stay with you this weekend?”
“You can come and stay any time,” said Jake. “Why? What happened?”
“My owner's niece is coming to stay this weekend,” said Midge. “She is always mean to me and wants to pull on my ears and my tail.”
“Why does she do that all the time?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Can I pull her hair the next time she pulls my tail?”
“Sure,” said Jake. “Maybe she won't do it again if you pull her hair.”
“Maybe,” said Midge. “If she pulls my tail and ears again, I will try it.”
“That might work,” smiled Jake. “I heard some humans say if they bite, you can bite them back. I think some moms do it once in a while.”
“I will try that,” said Midge.
“If it don't work,” said Jake. “you can come stay with me if your owner will let you come. But how will you ask her if you can come?”
“I don't know,” sighed Midge. “I didn't think of that one. She don't know what I'm saying when I bark at her.”
“Booker-T is right next door,” said Jake. “You can walk over there and get away from her.”
“Oh yes,” smiled Midge. “I can do that.”
“When will she be there?” asked Jake.
“I think she is coming Friday night,” said Midge.
“You can come to my house any time, Midge,” said Booker-T.
“Hey guys,” said Gabby as he flew down from the trees. “What are you guys doing?”
“Midge's owner is having her niece come to stay at the house this weekend,” said Jake.
“Ooh, no fun,” said Gabby. “Little ones are always trying to pull dog's tails. You can try to stay away from the little one, Midge. It is the safest thing to do.”
“I will Gabby,” said Midge. “I can also go to Booker-T's house. He is right next door to me.”
“That's good,” said Gabby. “It is always good to have a back up plan.”
“Booker-T is my back up plan,” smiled Midge. “First I will try to pull her hair to make her stop. Then I will go to Booker-Ts house. Booker-T said I can come.”
“Hey Jake,” laughed Booker-T. “I'm a back up plan. If you need a back up plan, I'm your cat.”
“You can use me as a back up plan also if you want Midge,” smiled Jake.
“You guys are being funny now,” said Midge. “You guys can come to my house and visit if you want your tail to be pulled.”
“That is okay,” said Jake. ''You try and pull her hair and if it don't work, go to your backup plan with Booker-T.”
“I could go to the back up plan first,” said Midge. “Then I won't be there for her to pull my tail.”
“You can do that,” agreed Jake. “But maybe you can teach her not to pull your tail and ears.”
“And she might not do it any more,” suggested Booker-T.
“Maybe she won't,” said Midge. “I will wait to see how she will be.”
“Good idea Midge,” said Jake. “Now, lets go play at the park.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T