Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Midge's Announcment


Jake walked to Midge's house and hurried through the gate. Booker-T was sitting there talking about something that looked serious.
“What are you two doing?” asked Jake.
“I'm running for president, Jake,” said Midge.
“President of what?” asked Jake. “A dog club?”
“No, Jake,” said Midge. “It is much better than that. I'm going to be the president of the United States.”

“Wait Midge,” said Jake as he fell over on the ground laughing. “You are a dog. You can't be president of the United States.”
“Why?” asked Midge. “In dog years, I'm old enough to be president. I will treat everyone the same.”
“But you are a dog,” said Jake.
“You said that already,” said Midge.
Booker-T leaned over and whispered to Jake. “I don't know if you will win this with Midge.”
“I know I said it before,” said Jake. “How can you be president?”
“Well, doesn't everyone get to have their dream?” asked Midge.
“I guess they can if they are human,” agreed Jake. “But you still can't run for president.”
“Give me one good reason why I can't,” said Midge.
“You are a dog,” said Jake. “That is a very good reason and people don't know what you are saying to them. Only the animals know what you are saying.”
“That's just a little obstacle,” said Midge.
“A little obstacle?” said Booker-T. “I think it is a big obstacle. How will you tell the people what you will do for them.”
“Who will vote for you?” asked Jake.
“All the animals in the country will vote for me,” suggested Midge. “And I will win because there are more animals than humans.”
“But the animals can't vote,” said Booker-T.
“See Midge,” said Jake. There is another reason that you can't be president. The animals can't register to vote.”
“I will tell them all to register and vote for me for president,” said Midge.
“What will you do for the country?” asked Jake.
“I will help all the homeless animals find a home,” said Midge. “And I will promise to stop all the abuse of animals. No more taxes for any humans who take care of animals.”
“People will sure like not having to pay taxes,” laughed Jake. “But you still have one very large problem.”
“I'll clean it up,” said Midge.
“Clean up what?” asked Jake.
“I'll clean up the streets and the fields,” said Midge.
“Clean what out of the fields and streets?” asked Booker-T.
“I will have places made for the animals to do their business,” said Midge. “I will make the cities a better place for all humans and animals. Do you want to be my vice president Jake?”
“What about me?” asked Booker-T. “What will I do?”
“I will make you my right paw cat,” said Midge. “Together we will make the world good for all the animals.”
“It all sounds good, Midge,” said Jake. “But you can't be president.”
“What about my dream?” asked Midge. “President Midge. Doesn't that sound good?”
“To us it does,” said Jake. “But it won't happen. You can try to be president of a dog club. The animals can vote and don't have to register.”
“So I can't have my dream and be president Midge of the United States,” said Midge. “My dream is smashed.”
“It's okay Midge,” said Booker-T. “It was a good dream, but in this world, it's a dream that can't happen.”
“I guess I will just have to be Midge, the Cocker Spaniel living with my owner,” said Midge.
“It's okay Midge,” said Booker-T. “We like Midge the Cocker Spaniel.”
Midge smiled at her friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T