Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Witches


Booker-T and Midge walked to Jake's house and found him taking a nap. They tapped him on the head. “Wake up Jake,” whispered Midge.
“I'm awake,” whispered Jake.
“No, you weren't awake,” laughed Midge. “Your eyes were closed and you were snoring.”
“I don't snore,” said Jake sitting up in the swing.
“How do you know?' asked Booker-T. “When you are sleeping, you can't hear yourself snoring.”
“I just know,” sighed Jake. “So, what are you guys doing?”
“Nothing,” said Midge.

“We just came to see you,” said Booker-T.
“Jake,” said Midge. “What is a witch?”
“I think it is a bad person who does bad things,” said Jake. “I saw in the movies that they put bad spells on people.”
“Wow,” said Booker-T. “Do they have animal witches too?”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “The movies only show witch people.”
“Maybe they don't know about any witch animals because they don't understand us,” said Booker-T.
“Maybe,” said Midge. “My owner watched a scary movie with witches in it last night.”
“They do bad things to people,” said Jake.
“I don't think I want to see one,” said Booker-T.
“Are there any good witches?” asked Midge.
“I think so,” said Jake. “My owner watched a movie and it had good one and a bad one in it. My owner liked that one. She was a pretty witch too,”
“How do you know if a human is a witch?” asked Midge.
“I don't think you can tell just by looking at them,” said Jake.
“They could hurt you before you know it,” said Booker-T.
“Why are we talking about witches?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Midge.
“Because you wanted to know what a witch was,” said Booker-T.
“I guess I did,” laughed Midge. “What do you want to do today?”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “What do you want to do?”
“You don't have any ideas?” asked Booker-T. “That's a first.”
“I'm thinking,” said Midge.
“Oh,” said Jake. “That could be dangerous.”
“Why?” asked Midge looking at him with a puzzled look.
“Because you always want to do the things humans do and they can be dangerous for us,” said Jake.
“Wouldn't you like to be a human even if it is just for a day?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I think I like being a dog. I don't have to go to work or to school and I don't have to pay bills. I hear my owner all the time complaining bout paying bills. She talks to herself a lot when she's paying her bills.”
“I guess some things the humans do wouldn't be fun,” agreed Midge.
“Sometimes my owner complains about cleaning house,” said Booker-T. “She does it but she isn't always happy doing it.”
“Maybe we should just be happy we are animals,” said Jake.
“But I really like doing fun things that humans do,” said Midge. “It is fun riding on a sled in the snow and dancing in the dog shows.”
“Why do humans not like it when we try to do them?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake.
“Humans have a lot of fun things to do,” said Midge. “And we can understand them when they talk, but they don't understand us.”
“Why is that?” asked Booker-T.
“See Midge,” said Jake. “Don't you think that makes us animals smarter than the humans?”
“I didn't think of that,” smiled Midge. “I'm smarter than my owner.”
“Come on,” said Jake. “Lets go to the park. I want to ride on the new train. No more talk of witches and being a human.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T