Friday, September 27, 2019

The Ditch


Midge ran next door to Booker-T's house. "Hey Booker-T," called Midge as she entered the gate in the fence. "Where are you?"
Booker-T came strolling around the house. "Hi Midge," said Booker-T. "What are you doing?"
"Do you want to go to Jake's house and then go see the petting zoo today?" asked Midge.
"Sure," said Booker-T. "Lets go."
They hurried through the gate and started up the sidewalk. "I'll race you to the corner," said Midge.
"You are faster than me," said Booker-T. "But I'll race you. Let's go."

The two took off running along the sidewalk. Midge got ahead of him and turned around to see how far back Booker-T was. Suddenly she fell into a hole.
Booker-T suddenly stopped and stood staring ahead. "Midge!" called Booker-T. "Where did you go?"
"Booker-T!" called Midge. "Hurry!"
Booker-T ran to the spot where Midge disappeared. There he found Midge at the bottom of a hole in the ground. "What are you doing down there?"
"Sitting her waiting for you," said Midge.
"Well, come out of the hole," said Booker-T.
"I tried," said Midge. "I get a short way up and slide back into the hole."
"Can you dig your claws into the dirt and climb up?" asked Booker-T.
"No," sighed Midge. "Go get Jake."
"Are you going to be okay until I get back?" asked Booker-T. "I don't want to leave you here."
"I'm not going anywhere," said Midge. "Run fast and get Jake."
"Ok," said Booker-T. "I will be back fast. Don't go anywhere."
"Funny," said Midge. "Run."
Booker-T ran along the sidewalk and hurried into the gate at Jake's house. "Jake!" called Booker-T. "Jake! Come quick. Midge is in trouble."
"Slow down Booker-T," said Jake. "What do you mean Midge is in trouble? Where is she?"
"She fell in a hole," said Booker-T. "We were racing to the corner when we were on the way here when suddenly she disappeared."
"She disappeared?" asked Jake jumping up. "How did she disappear?"
"I saw her ahead of me and then suddenly, she wasn't there anymore," said Booker-T.
"Hey you guy," said Gabby as he swooped down and landed on the porch railing at Jake's house. "What are you two doing? Did you know that Midge is at the bottom of a hole?"
"Booker-T just told me," said Jake. "Come on guys, we need to go help her.
Booker-T and Jake ran along the sidewalk with Gabby flying above them. They came to the big hole in the ground and at the bottom sat Midge.
"Are you okay, Midge?" asked Jake as he looked into the hole at Midge sitting on the bottom. "You can't climb out?"
"No," sighed Midge. "I tried but when I try to dig my claws into the dirt on the side of the hole, I just slide back to the bottom. "
"We need a rope," said Jake. "Where do I get a rope?"
"My owner has a rope in the basement at the house," suggested Midge. "Maybe you can get it."
"Okay," said Jake. "I will run to the house. Wait there."
"I'm not going anywhere, Jake," said Midge. "I'm stuck down here til you can help me get out."
"Right," laughed Jake. "I forgot. I'll be right back."
"Hurry Jake," said Midge as she looked around at all the dirt and looked up at Booker-T staring down into the hole.
"Are you sure you are okay, Midge?" asked Booker-T. "First I saw you and then you just disappeared."
"Why is this hole here in the sidewalk?" asked Midge. "I didn't see it. I guess I was looking back at you and suddenly I fell in."
"Looks like the city was fixing some pipes that were under the sidewalk," said Gabby. "See that pipe down there behind you."
"Yes," said Midge. "That is a water pipe that takes water to your house."
"Why are they fixing it?" asked Midge. "I heard as I flew around the city, that they had some piping that had gotten leaks so they were changing them."
"Here comes Jake now," said Booker-T.
"Does he have the rope?" asked Midge.
"Yes," said Gabby. "He is dragging it behind him."
"I'm back Midge," said Jake looking down into the hole. "I will throw in one end of the rope and you bite on it and hold on tight and I will pull you up out of the hole."
"Okay," said Midge as she picked up the end of the rope and bit down hard.
Jake pulled hard and tried to pull her up. He pulled harder and harder but Midge wasn't coming out of the hole. He walked back to the hole and looked down. "What are you doing?" asked Jake.
"I'm sitting here waiting for you to pull me out," said Midge.
"Are you helping by climbing up the side of the hole?" asked Jake.
"Oh," said Midge. "I have to climb up the side of the hole while I hold on to the rope?"
"Yes, Midge," said Jake. "I can't pull you up out of the hole if you don't help."
"Ok," said Midge as she took hold of the rope. "Lets try again. Pull hard."
Jake pulled the rope as Midge starting climbing up the side of the hole while she hung on to the rope.
"Come on Midge," said Booker-T. "You can do it. Keep pulling Jake. She is almost to the top of the hole."
Finally Midge climbed out of the hole and lay on the ground beside it. "Are you okay?" asked Jake as he laid down the rope and ran to her.
"I'm okay now," said Midge.
"How did you fall down there?" asked Jake. "Booker-T said you and him were racing each other."
"We were racing to the corner," said Midge. "I looked back at Booker-T to see how far ahead of him I was and suddenly, there was no more sidewalk and I was at the bottom of the hole."
"I think you have to keep watching where you are going when you are walking or running," said Jake.
"I think so too," smiled Midge. "Walking or running can be dangerous if you don't look where you are going."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T