Friday, October 4, 2019

The Box


Midge stretched and jumped off her owner's bed when she left to go to work. Midge ran to the window and watched her drive away in the car.
"Good morning Midge," said Snappy.
"Hi Snappy," said Midge.
"What are you doing?" asked Snappy.
"Nothing," said Midge.
"Do you feel okay this morning?" asked Snappy. "You slept late this morning."

"I think I was really sleepy," smiled Midge.
"Someone is coming to the front door," said Snappy as he sat looking out the window.
"Who is that?" asked Midge.
"He has a box in his hands," said Snappy. "He must be a delivery man."
"Why is he bringing that box into the yard?" asked Midge.
"I don't know," said Snappy. "He put the box on our front porch. Run see what it is."
Midge ran to through the kitchen and out the doggie door. Once outside, she ran around the house to the front yard and onto the porch. There in front of the door sat the box. Midge stood staring at the box. "I wonder what is in the box," thought Midge as she sat down on the swing.
"Hey Midge," called Booker-T and Jake as they hurried to the porch. "What are you doing?"
"I'm sitting here looking at this box," said Midge.
"What is it?' asked Booker-T. "I saw the big truck out in front of your house."
"It has your name on the box," said Jake reading the label on it.
"My name is on the box?" asked Midge.
"That is what it says," said Jake.
"What did you get Midge?" asked Booker-T.
"I don't know," said Midge. "I didn't buy the box."
"Your owner must have bought something for you," said Jake.
"Who sent you the box?" asked Booker-T.
"Who is it from Jake?" asked Midge.
"The label says, 'Dog's Paradise'," read Jake.
"What is Dog's Paradise?" asked Booker-T.
"I think they sell things for dogs," said Gabby as he flew down and landed on the railing. "What did you get Midge?"
"I don't know," said Midge. "Why did they send the box to me."
"Your owner must have ordered some things for you and they sent the box to you," said Gabby. "Do you know what you are getting?"
"No," said Midge. "My owner didn't tell me anything about a box."
"Are you excited?" asked Booker-T.
"Excited about what?" asked Midge. "I don't know what it is."
"I would be so excited if my owner bought something for me and they sent the box to me," said Jake.
"I like getting a box," said Midge. "I wish I knew what was in it. Can I open it?"
"I don't think your owner would like you opening the box," said Jake. "Maybe she wants
to surprise you with it."
"I don't smell anything," said Midge sniffing at the box. "I want to open it, Jake. Will you help me open it?"
"Maybe it isn't a good idea," said Jake.
"But the box has my name on it," said Midge. "That means I can open it, right?"
"Don't you want to wait for your owner to come home," said Booker-T.
"But that's a long time," said Midge. "I'm too excited to wait. Please, Jake."
"Okay," agreed Jake reluctantly. "Can you poke a hole in the tape with your beak, Gabby?"
"Sure," smiled Gabby as he poked his beak into the tape making several holes. "I want to see what Midge got."
Jake grabbed the tape and pulled hard on it. The tape made a noise as Jake tore it off the box. The flaps of the box opened and Midge stuck her nose into the box.
"Look Jake!" said Midge as she pulled out a pink bow and a sweater from the box. "Is this a doggie sweater?"
"It looks like it," said Jake. "it is pretty Midge."
"What else is in the box?" asked Booker-T. "The box is too big for just a sweater and bow."
Midge poked her nose back into the box and pulled out some more things. "Look Midge," said Jake. "You got some snacks and dog food."
"I thought your owner got your food at the pet store near the school," said Booker-T.
"She usually does," said Midge.
"Maybe she got a good deal at Dog's Paradise," suggested Jake.
"What is a good deal?" asked Midge. "I only see one more thing in the box."
"What is it?" asked Booker-T.
"A toy," smiled Midge. "My owner bought me a toy. But what is this good deal? Is it a toy?"
"No," laughed Gabby. "It means she got the things cheaper then at the store."
"How do you know?" asked Midge.
"I heard people talking about the Dog's Paradise," said Gabby.
"Is your owner going to be angry with you because you opened the box?" asked Jake.
"I don't think so," said Midge as she put the stuff back into the box and pushed it against the door.
"Do you want to go the park?" asked Jake.
"I want to sit here and watch my box," said Midge.
"I don't think your box is going anywhere," said Booker-T.
"But I want to watch it," sighed Midge.
"Okay," said Jake. "We will stay here with you. Maybe she won't get too angry if we are here."
"But don't you have to go home before your owners come home?" asked Midge. "Booker-T just lives next door but you live further away."
"I guess I will stay with you for a little while and then go home," said Jake. "Can we play with your toy that is in the box while we wait?"
"Maybe we better wait until she gives it to me," suggested Midge.
"But you already opened the box," said Jake.
"I know," said Midge. "I guess I was nosy."
"There is a say," said Booker-T. "Curiosity killed the cat."
"But I'm not a cat," said Midge. "I'm a dog. My owner knows I am nosy."
"Okay," said Jake. "Lets play with your new toy."
Midge sat there thinking. "Okay," said Midge as she reached in the box and pulled out
the toy. It was a ball with a bell inside and it lit up when they rolled it. "Cool toy."
They played a while with the ball and then went inside to find something to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T