Friday, June 18, 2021

The Backyard Party

 

Midge stood watching her owner cooking food in the kitchen and setting up glasses and plates on the table. She made some kind of patties that she covered and put into the refrigerator but she didn't cook them. Back and forth across the kitchen floor she went cooking some things, washing some of the dishes. She looked me Midge and smiled.

"Good morning girl," said her owner. "I know you don't know what is going on. But that's okay Midge."

"I know there is going to be a party," thought Midge staring at her owner. "I want to eat and dance."

"You will have to stay out from under everyone's feet this afternoon," said Midge's owner. "I know you will be good Midge."

"Maybe Booker-T was right," thought Midge. "She don't want me there."

Her owner turned around and set her food bowl on the floor next to her water bowl. "Here you are Midge, Your breakfast." said her owner.

Midge heard someone knock on the front door and ran into the living room and barked at the door.

Her owner followed her into the living room and patted her on the head.

"It's okay Midge," said her owner as she opened the door. "It's my brother."

Her owner's mother entered the room and patted Midge on the head.

"Hey girl," said her owner's brother. "Are you confused with everything going on here this morning? It is okay girl."

Midge sat and looked back and forth at her owner and then at her owner's brother. "Does he think I'm going to tell him?" thought Midge as she raised her eyebrows.

He followed her owner to the basement and started to carry some folding tables into the backyard and some folding chairs. Midge followed behind him. As he turned to get some more, Midge was standing there watching him.

"Go sit down, Midge," her owner's brother said. "I don't want to trip over you. You can get hurt and so can I."

Midge stared at him and turned to walk around to the front of the house, where she laid down on the porch swing. In a few minutes Booker-T walked over with Jake.

"Hi Guys," greeted Midge. "What are you doing?"

"We came to see if you wanted to go to the park," said Jake.

"Okay," said Midge sitting up in the swing.

"Are you okay Midge?" asked Booker-T. "You sound a little sad this morning. You are usually excited to go do things."

"Today is the party, isn't it?" asked Jake.

"Yes," sighed Midge.

"Did your owner chase you out of the way?" asked Booker-T.

"Her brother told me to go sit down," said Midge. "He said I was in the way."

"You are just a dog," smiled Jake. "You are suppose to be in the way."

"If we are suppose to be in the way," said Midge. "Why did he chase me away?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "Maybe he don't know you are suppose to be in the way. Does he have a dog?"

"No," said Midge. "My owner was going to give him a puppy and he said no."

"Why?" asked Booker-T. "Does he like dogs?"

"I think so," said Midge. "He told my owner that he was on the road for his work so he couldn't take care of a dog or a cat."

"That is sad," said Jake. "I think we help humans."

"I do too," agreed Midge. "I always watch TV with my owner and I always sleep on the bed at night with her and I watch the house when she isn't here. I think we help our humans a lot."

"Me too," agreed Booker-T. "Lets go see what your owner is doing."

"Okay," said Midge as she started to walk around the house to the backyard.

Booker-T and Jake followed behind her and as they came around the corner, they sat down and watched Midge's owner and her brother setting up some tables and chairs in the back. They went back into the house and stated carrying out plates and glasses and some silverware.

"Looks like it will be a good party," smiled Jake. "We never had a big party at our house."

"We never had one at our house either," said Booker-T. "It will be fun."

"Are you going to stay here for the party?" asked Midge.

"Sure," smiled Jake. "We like to party. Do you think they will let us stay?"

"I don't know," said Midge. "We will have to wait til the humans start to come here."

"What does that sign say?" asked Booker-T.

Jake read the sign. "It says, Welcome Monthly Summertime Fun."

"Oh wow," smiled Midge. "Every month we will have a party."

"Your owner likes to party," smiled Booker-T.

"We never had a summertime party here before," said Midge.

"Yummy," said Jake. "Smell those burgers cooking over there."

"They are cooking them outside," said Midge. "They smell really good."

"Look out Midge," said Booker-T. "Here comes some little humans running."

"Oh no!" said Midge. "We better get out of the way. They will step on you."

"I want to eat," said Jake sniffing the air. "It smells so good, Midge."

"Lets go sit over there by the tree," said Midge. "Maybe she will give us something."

The three walked over close to the outside cooking thing under the tree and sat down. The little humans were splashing in the fountain and laughing.

"We can go splash in the fountain with them," suggested Jake.

"No," sighed Midge. "I'm okay sitting here waiting for something to eat. Here comes some more big humans. Look over there Booker-T. It is your owner."

"Do you think mine will be here?" asked Jake.

"Maybe," said Midge. "I think our owners all know each other."

"Here comes your owner now, Jake," said Booker-T.

Midge's owner got a few cooked burgers and set down a large pan near the tree for the three to eat.

"These are good," smiled Jake.

"Your owner is so nice," said Booker-T.

"I think all of our owners are nice," smiled Midge. "Partying is fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T