Friday, May 5, 2023

Where is Midnight

 

Midge ran over to Booker-T's house next door and together they walked to Jake's house and found him in his favorite spot on the porch swing.

Hey Jake,” said Midge as they walked to the porch. “What are you doing?”

I'm sitting here waiting for you and Booker-T,” said Jake.

You were napping,” laughed Booker-T.

I wasn't sleeping,” said Jake. “I was resting my eyes.”

You were sleeping,” said Midge. “That's okay. You can sleep.”

Are you ready to go walk to Lucy's house?” asked Booker-T. “And we can visit the cows and the horses on the farm.”

And we can play with Midnight,” said Midge.

Lets go,” said Jake as he got off the swing and they all walked through the gate to the sidewalk.

The four friends strolled along the sidewalk on their way to the farm. Gabby swooped down from the tree and landed on Jake's back.

Hey guys,” greeted Gabby. “Where are you guys going?”

Hi Gabby,” smiled Midge. “We are going to the farm to play with Lucy and Midnight. What are you doing?”

I'm flying around and saw you walking along the sidewalk,” said Gabby.

Do you want to come with us to the farm?” asked Booker-T.

Sure,” said Gabby. “You should take Midnight to see the petting zoo.”

That is a good idea,” smiled Jake.

They started walking again and Gabby flew above.

Lets sing the farm song,” said Midge. “We can sing and walk.”

What farm song?” asked Booker-T.

My owner's niece was at the house last night for little time and she was singing the farm song,” said Midge.

I never heard the farm song,” said Booker-T.

What is it?” asked Jake.

It is about some guy named McDonald who has a farm,” said Midge. “Do you think Lucy's owner is McDonald?”

Maybe,” said Jake. “Sing the song, Midge.”

Old McDonald had a farm,” sang Midge. “On that farm, they had a cow, E,I, E, I, O.”

He only had one cow?” asked Booker-T.

What's E I O?” asked Jake.

I don't know,” said Midge. “Lucy lives on a farm. Maybe she knows.”

That's the song?” asked Booker-T.

With a moo moo here,” continued Midge. “A moo moo there. Old McDonald had a farm, E I E I O.”

Is that all the old human had?” asked Jake.

No,” said Midge. “He had a pig with an oink oink everywhere and I think he had a duck that quacks.”

Is that all?” asked Booker-T.

No,” said Midge. “There was a dog that goes woof and I think that is all the farmer had.”

Little humans have some funny songs they sing,” said Jake.

Does your owner's nephew sing some funny songs?” asked Midge.

He has one he sings over and over again,” sighed Jake. “I keep hoping he is going to change songs. I can't turn him off like I can push the button on the TV remote.”

What does he sing?” asked Booker-T.

He sings about rowing some boat down a stream,” said Jake and that his life is some kind of dream.”

My owner's niece likes that too,” said Midge. “She also likes something about going around some kind of bush.”

Little humans like those funny songs,” said Booker-T.

Some times, my owner sings with her,” said Midge.

As the three of them got to the farm, they saw Lucy laying in the sun near the house, but they didn't see Midnight. Gabby flew down from above and landed on Jake's back and rode him onto the farm. They all walked to where Lucy was laying on the ground.

Hi Lucy,” said Midge. “What are you doing?”

Hi guys,” smiled Lucy. “Doesn't the sun feel good this morning?”

It does feel good,” said Jake. “Where is Midnight?”

Midnight got a new home,” said Lucy.”

Midnight isn't here on the farm now?” asked Midge.

He went to live with a little human and family,” said Lucy. “He was so happy to have his own home.”

He didn't like living on a farm?” asked Booker-T.

He liked the farm, but he wanted to be with the little human,” said Lucy. “And the little human liked petting Midnight and holding him and he asked his mom if he could take Midnight home.”

Your owner said it was okay?” asked Jake.

Yes,” said Lucy. “The little human was so happy and carried Midnight to the car.”

That is so nice,” smiled Midge. “Don't you think so Booker-T?”

I am happy for him,” said Booker-T. “I know I was really happy when you found me my new home with a nice human.”

We pets need a nice home with a nice human,” said Midge. “I wish we could talk to them like we talk to each other.”

We understand them talking, but they can't understand us,” sighed Jake. “But they love us anyway.”

Yes,” smiled Lucy. “Why don't birds live with humans, Gabby?”

There are some birds that do,” said Gabby. “I visit a bird near the school when it is outside on the human's porch. But it lives in a cage.”

Why?” asked Midge.

I think the humans don't want it to fly away,” said Gabby. “He learned how to talk to the human.”

Can the humans understand him?” asked Booker-T.

Yes,” said Gabby. “But when he talks to the human, he says the same thing over and over again.”

Oh wow,” said Midge. “Wish we could say something our humans understand. That would be so cool.”

Lets go see if the petting zoo is outside today,” said Gabby. “Maybe later we can go visit the bird in the cage if it is outside on the porch.”

That will be fun,” smiled Lucy. “Lets go to the petting zoo.”

They ran along the sidewalk with Gabby flying above going to the petting zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T