Friday, April 28, 2023

Spring Showers

 

Midge was sitting on the front porch watching the rain falling on the side walk in front of the porch. Booker-T came running through the gate and ran onto the porch and sat down.

It's raining,” said Booker-T.

I know it,” said Midge. “I'm sitting here watching the rain hit the sidewalk.”

Are we going to walk in the rain and go to Jake's house?” asked Booker-T.

I think he and Lucy are coming here,” said Midge as she looked up the street to see if they were coming. “I wish I was a human.”

Why?” asked Booker-T. “What do you want to do now?”

I want to call Jake,” said Midge. “On the phone.”

We don't have a phone,” said Booker-T.

I know,” sighed Midge. “If we had a phone, we could call Jake on it.”

Why do you want to call Jake?” asked Booker-T.

If I had a phone, I could call Jake and ask him if he is coming to my house,” said Midge.

I guess that is a good reason to be a human,” smiled Booker-T. “They sure like to talk on the phone, don't they?”

My owner talks on the phone every night when she is home,” said Midge.

Mine too,” said Booker-T. “Do you think all the humans do that?”

Maybe,” said Midge.

Do the little humans use the phone too?” asked Booker-T.

I don't know,” said Midge. “Maybe only the big humans talk on the phone.”

Here comes Jake and Lucy,” said Booker-T as he looked up the street.

Jake and Midge hurried through the gate and ran to the porch with Midge and Booker-T.

Hi guys,” said Jake. “What are you doing?”

We were sitting here watching the rain and talking about the phone.”

What phone?” asked Lucy.

Midge wants to be a human so she can call you on the phone,” said Booker-T.

But I don't have a phone,” said Jake. “How can you call me on the phone?”

If we were human,” said Midge. “We would each have a phone to talk on.”

Why do we need a phone?” asked Lucy.

We could call you on the phone and ask you if you are coming to Midge's house,” said Booker-T.

We just walk over here,” said Jake. “Where would you carry a phone? You don't wear clothes with pockets.”

Maybe our owner can put a shirt on us with a pocket,” suggested Midge.

And how do you think we can dial the phone?” asked Jake.

I don't know,” said Midge. “I guess having a phone isn't a good idea.”

I think it is a dumb idea,” laughed Lucy.

I guess we just walk back and forth like we always do,” said Booker-T. “We always know where we are going to go every day.”

Where are we going today?” asked Midge.

I don't know,” said Jake.

I thought we always know where we are going,” said Lucy.

Well, we usually do,” laughed Booker-T. “I always know I am going to Jake's house or Midge's house.”

We always go to Jake's or Midge's house,” said Lucy. “When we get there, we decide what we will do for the day.”

We always have fun,” smiled Booker-T.

That's true,” said Midge. “We always have fun. I like having fun. What fun are we going to do today?”

What do you want to do?” asked Jake.

I don't know,” said Midge.

One of us should think of something,” suggested Lucy.

That's true,” agreed Booker-T. “Do you want to go visit the petting zoo. We haven't done that in a few days.”

I like that idea,” smiled Midge.

Me too,” agreed Jake.

Lets go,” said Lucy.

Did you forget, it's raining out there,” said Midge.

Oh yes,” said Lucy. “I forgot. The petting zoo will never be out in the rain. We have to wait til the sun shines.”

Do you want to go walk some where in the rain?” asked Midge.

Maybe not,” said Jake.

Why don't you guys come into the house and visit with Snappy,” suggested Midge.

Lets go,” said Booker-T. “Snappy will be happy to see us.”

They four of them hurried to the back yard and crawled through the doggie door into the kitchen and stood in the middle of the floor shaking off the water. They hurried to the living room, where Midge and Booker-T jumped into one of the chairs and Lucy jumped into the other chair. Jake pressed his nose against the tank looking for Snappy.

Hey Snappy!” said Midge. “Where are you hiding? Every one is here to see you.”

Snappy crawled out from under the rocks and crawled onto the log and looked around at everyone staring into the tank.

Hi you guys!” smiled Snappy. “What are you doing?”

It is raining outside, so we came in here to talk to you,” said Jake.

Wow,” said Snappy. “That is so nice.”

They all sat and talked and laughed and they really enjoyed the day inside visiting with friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T