Friday, April 7, 2023

Going To The Party

 


Do we have to take a present to the birthday party?” asked Midge.

I don't think so,” said Jake. “We can't buy a present.”

I guess we can't,” said Midge. “Do you think his owner will get him a present? My owner only gives me presents on Christmas.”

Mine too,” said Lucy.

I get some presents from my owner sometimes with no reason,” said Booker-T. “But I never had a birthday party.”

I never had one either,” said Jake. “I don't know what day I was born.”

I don't know either,” said Midge. “I know I was a puppy when I went to live with my owner.”

Me too,” said Lucy.

My owner adopted me from an animal shelter,” said Jake. “I think I was 2 years old when I came to live with her.”

You were in an animal shelter?” asked Booker-T. “I didn't know that.”

Why were you there?” asked Midge.

I don't remember,” said Jake. “I was so happy when my owner adopted me and took me home.”

That is so nice,” smiled Midge.

Were you little when you went to live with your owner, Booker-T,” asked Lucy.

I didn't go live with her until I was almost 3 years old,” said Booker-T. “I didn't have a home. I lived in the alley behind the pizza cafe and Midge helped me get my new home.”

Oh,” said Lucy. “That is sad. That is nice that Midge helped find a home for you.”

Yes,” smiled Booker-T. “I was really happy to have a nice warm home.”

Lets go walk over to the house and check it out,” said Jake.

They walked across the street and entered the back yard where they saw balloons and little Chi Chi sitting on the patio eating a dog biscuit.

Hi Chi Chi,” said Jake.

Look at the pretty table,” said Midge.

On the table was a pretty blue table cloth with pictures of little dogs on it and in the middle of the small table, sat a cake with a single candle on the top.

In a few minutes, Chi Chi's owner came out the door to the back yard. She patted each animal on the head as she handed each one a small dog biscuit.

You have some friends,” smiled Chi Chi's owner. “Lets have some cake.”

She lit the single candle on the cake and started to sing the happy birthday song. Midge looked at Jake and smiled as she raised her eyebrows.

That is cool,” said Booker-T. “My owner don't sing to me.”

Mine don't sing either,” said Midge.

Chi Chi's owner cut the pretty cake and gave each animal a small bite. I tasted like dog food. It was a dog food cake.

Yummy,” said Lucy. “This is good.”

Want to play ball?” asked Chi Chi's owner as she tossed the little ball into the yard so Chi Chi could chase it and bring it back to her.

They each ran around the yard chasing each other and and playing in the yard. Jake grabbed one of the balloons and started to bat it around the yard with his nose. They each ran and would push at the balloon with their noses. Booker-T ran and leaped onto the balloon and it popped. Booker-T leaped into the air when it made a loud pop. Jake and Lucy sat on the ground laughing at him. Chi Chi jumped into the air and ran under the table. His owner sat in the chair and was laughing.

Wow!” said Midge. “The balloon make a loud bang.”

Hey Chi Chi,” said Lucy looking under the table. “Are you okay?”

That was scary,” said Chi Chi. “I never heard a balloon pop before.”

Scared me too,” said Booker-T sitting near the table.

Do you want to get another balloon and bat it around in the air?” asked Jake.

I think we can play with the ball,” said Lucy. “It won't pop.”

Chi Chi's owner handed each another small biscuit as she set down a bowl of water for them on the patio. After they each had a nice drink of water, she handed a small package to Chi Chi. Chi Chi tore open the paper and inside was a small toy bone that squeaked with he bit down on it.

That's a nice squeaky toy,” said Midge. “You will have fun with it. I have one at home too.”

I have one too,” smiled Jake. “My owner don't want me to squeak it when she is watching something on TV. She tells me no.”

I play with my squeaky toys outside,” laughed Lucy. “My inside toys are quiet ones.”

I have quiet toys too,” said Midge. “Do you have quiet toys, Chi Chi?”

Yes,” replied Chi Chi. “Do you want to squeak my toy?”

They each took a turn and squeaked the toy bone. After they were done playing and laid down in the shade Chi Chi's owner gave each one a another small piece of the cake.

This was a fun day,” said Lucy. “Chi Chi is a cute little toy dog.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T