Friday, July 21, 2023

Who is at The Zoo

 

Jake and Lucy strolled along the sidewalk on their way to to Midge's house. As they started to pass the hot dog stand, Lucy pressed her nose against the window and saw no one inside.

What are you doing?” asked Jake.

Don't you want something to eat?” asked Lucy. “Don't you smell the food?”

Yes,” said Jake. “Can you see anyone in there?”

No,” sighed Lucy. “I think they are hiding from us.”

Why?” asked Jake.

So they don't see us begging for something to eat,” said Lucy.

Is Midge teaching you to beg?” asked Jake.

Oh no,” said Lucy. “I already know how to beg and I like to beg for food. Humans think it's cute and gives me food.”

Do they always give you food?” asked Jake.

Most of the time,” said Lucy.

Hey you guys!” called Gabby as he flew down from above and landed on the ground.

Hi there Gabby,” said Jake. “Lucy was looking for someone inside the hot dog stand.”

Why?” asked Gabby.

I wanted something to eat,” said Lucy. “I was going to beg for some like Midge did.”

When do they open, Jake?” asked Gabby.

That sign on the door says they open about 11:00 am,” said Jake.

We can try later,” suggested Lucy. “Lets go get Midge.”

Midge is good at begging,” said Jake.

Where is Midge and Booker-T?” asked Gabby.

We were going to Midge's house when Lucy wanted to stop here,” said Jake.

But it smelled so good,” said Lucy. “Lets go see Midge.”

Jake and Lucy started walking the rest of the way to Midge's house with Gabby flying above them They hurried through the gate into the yard and found Midge sitting on the porch waiting for them to come.

Hi guys!” said Midge.

Where is Booker-T?” asked Jake

I'm here,” said Booker-T as he crawled out from under the swing.

What are you doing under there?” asked Lucy.

Waiting for you and Jake,” smiled Booker-T.

What happened to you this morning?” asked Midge.

We were walking along the sidewalk and when we got to the corner at the hot dog stand,” said Jake. “Lucy got hungry and stopped to try and beg for something.”

We didn't see anyone there,” said Lucy. “I think they were hiding. I could smell the hot dogs cooking.”

What are we going to do today?” asked Booker-T.

You should go to the zoo building,” suggested Gabby.

Why?” asked Midge.

You should go see the alligator at the zoo,” said Gabby.

Lets go!” said Booker-T. “I never saw an alligator before. I want to see it.”

Okay,” said Midge. “I want to see it too.”

They hurried through the gate and started walking along the sidewalk to the building. They checked both ways before crossing the street and then ran into the parking lot. They stood in the open doorway looking around the room. In the corner they could see big and little humans standing near the corner cage.

Is that where the alligator is?” asked Midge.

Yes,” said Gabby. “Lets go.”

They slowly walked to the back of the building and stood back from the cage. When the humans walked away, they moved closer to the cage and saw a very long animal with very big teeth.
“He can swallow us whole,” said Midge. “Hello Mr. Alligator.”

Wow!' said Booker-T. “Look at the big teeth. He has bigger teeth than the bad wolf in the story.”

What wolf?” asked Midge.

In the story that my owner reads to her nephew,” said Booker-T. “You know, the one with Red Riding Hood.”

Oh, that wolf,” laughed Lucy.

What is your name?” asked Midge.

Are you taking to me?” asked the alligator.

Yes,” said Midge.

Who are you?” asked the alligator. “I don't know you.”

We know that,” said Jake.

You don't look like an alligator,” said the alligator.

We aren't,” said Jake. “I'm a dog and Midge and Lucy are dogs and Booker-T is a cat.”

You look like my food,” smiled the alligator.

No,” said Booker-T. “We are not your food. We are just visiting you.”

But, I'm hungry,” said the alligator.

Well,” said Lucy. “You can't eat us. Do you have a name too?”

Sure,” said the alligator. “Don't we all have a name?”

I guess so,” said Jake.

Why do you want to know my name?” asked the alligator.

Because we know all our friend's names,” said Midge.

My name is Allie,” said the alligator.

That is a girl's name,” said Booker-T.

Maybe I'm a girl,” laughed Allie.

Okay,” said Midge. “HI Allie.”

Can you come closer to the bars?” asked Allie.

Why?” asked Jake.

You look so good to eat,” said Allie.

You look scary,” said Booker-T.

I won't eat you,” said Allie.

Okay,” said Lucy as they walked closer to the bars.

Can I be your friend?” whispered Allie.

Only if you promise not to eat us for dinner,” said Midge.

I promise,” said Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T