Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Midge Loves the Rain


 “Hello Jake!” called Midge as she hurried up the walkway to the front porch.  “Are you sleeping?”

   “Not anymore,” said Jake as he sat up.  “Why are you out there in the rain?”

   “The rain is nice, Jake,” said Midge.  “I love to walk in the rain when it is warm outside.”

   “Come on up here and dry off, Midge,” said Jake.  “This is nice sleeping weather.”

    Midge jumped onto the porch and shook the water off her.  “It’s nice to go walking in the rain too.” 


   “I would rather take a nap,” said Jake.  “It’s quiet out when it’s raining except for the taping of the drops on the windows or the top of the porch.  It makes me sleepy and the air is cooler when it is raining.”

   “It is nice,” agreed Midge.  “But I love to walk in it and feel the rain hitting my face.”

   “Well, sit down and enjoy the quiet of the morning,” said Jake.  “Don’t you love it when it is quiet like this?”

   “Yes, it is nice,” said Midge.  “But sometimes I miss seeing the kids running and playing their ball game in the street.  But the quiet is better sometimes.”

    “Yes,” said Jake.  “So sit down Midge and enjoy this beautiful morning.”

    “Is Booker-T coming over today?” asked Midge. 

    “I think so,” said Jake.  “He is supposed to come over so we can go to the park, but with the rain, I’m not sure.”

    “Okay,” said Midge.  “Yes, Booker-T doesn’t like to be out in the rain.  I like the rain and I don’t care if I get wet.  It feels good when it is warm outside.”

    “You always like the rain,” said Jake.  “I think you would sleep in the rain if your mistress would let you.”

    “I love the rain, but I don’t want to sleep in it,” said Midge.  “You are very funny Jake.”

    “I know,” said Jake.  “Jake the funny boxer, that’s me.”

    “Ha ha ha,” said Midge.  “I’m not stupid enough to sleep in the rain.”

    “Okay Midge,” said Jake.  “It’s okay if you like to sleep in the rain.”

     “But I don’t,” said Midge.  “When I sleep, I like to be warm, dry and comfortable. But I love to hear the rain when I go to sleep.  It is a peaceful feeling.”

     “I know,” said Jake. “That is why I was sleeping on the porch when you got here. It is nice to lay here and listen to the light rain hitting the roof of the porch and smelling the fresh air as it is cleaned by the rain.”

    “You are right,” said Midge.  “I think I will join you for a nice nap.”

    “Hey you guys!” shouted Booker-T as he hurried up the walkway.  “What are you two doing?  I thought we were going to the park to play.”

    “But Booker-T,” said Midge.  “It is raining out there.”

    “I know it,” said Booker-T.  “I’m wet.  Do you see this wet body?  It is not nice.”

     “If you don’t like the wet, why are you out in it?” asked Jake.   “You are silly.”

    “I know it,” said Booker-T.  “But I came to play with you this morning.”

     “Well, it is raining right now and Midge and I are going to take a nice nap.  Do you want to join us?”

    “Sure,” said Booker-T.  “That sounds much better than being out here in this rain.”

    “Pick a chair and curl up,” said Midge.  “This is good sleeping weather.”

     The three curled up and took a nap while the rain fell softly upon the roof of the porch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T