Saturday, October 27, 2012

Being Safe


“Hey Jake!” called Booker-T as he hurried up the sidewalk to the front porch. “Are you there?”

Jake sat up and saw Booker-T climbing the steps. “I'm here Booker-T. You are awake early today.”

“Yes, lot earlier than usual,” said Booker-T.

“What is going on that you are up so early?” asked Jake. “Midge hasn't even gotten here yet.”

“My mistress left for work early this morning so she fed me my breakfast before she left,” said Booker-T.   "I got tired of just laying around the house waiting for it to get later.”

“How did you get out of the house with her being gone?” asked Jake. “Did she leave you outside?”

“Oh no,” said Booker-T. “I have a new doggie door in the back now. Well for me it is a new cat door.”

“That is good,” said Jake. “Now you can come and go as you want.”

“Only in daytime," said Booker-T.  "When I go inside at night, she locks the door so I can't open it and get out.”

“That is okay,” said Jake. “Midge and I don't go out at night either. It is not safe out there at night.”

“Yes, I know,” said Booker-T. “I guess I'm used to being out all the time and seems strange to be locked inside now.”

“You will get used to it,” said Jake. “There is too much danger out there in the world now and you are safer being in the house at night.”

“I guess you are right Jake,” answered Booker-T. “It just seems strange to me not being free to go where I want and when I want to.”

“Hi Jake,” said Midge as she climbed the steps to the porch where Jake and Booker-T were sitting “What is going on? You are here early Booker-T.”

“Hi Midge,” greeted Jake. “Booker-T got here a few minutes ago and was telling me about his new cat door.”

“Yes Midge,” said Booker-T. “I now have a nice little door that I can go in and out of when I want to except at night. She locks the door at night after I come in for dinner.”

“That's good,” said Midge. “Too much danger is around outside at night. You are safer being inside with your mistress.”

“That is what Jake told me,” said Booker-T. “I guess you both are right. I will get used to it one day.”

“Sure you will,” said Midge. It will take little time and you will be okay with it. She is only trying to keep you safe.”

“I know,” said Booker-T. “Does your mistress lock your doggie door when you are inside?”

“Mine does,” said Midge. “She makes sure I come in after it gets dark and then she secures the door so I can't open it til morning.”

“Mine doesn't lock the door,” said Jake.

“Wow,” said Booker-T. “Why isn't your door locked?”

“I know that after dark I am not supposed to go outside except to use the backyard during the night and no further,” said Jake. “She leaves the doggie door open so when I need to go out, I can.”

“I never leave the house after dark unless it is something special and then I am with the mistress,” said Midge.

“I know you are right Jake,” said Booker-T. “You are always right about things like this.”

“Jake is good at knowing things,” said Midge. “He will never tell you anything that he doesn't think is true.”

“Okay,” said Booker-T. “I guess when I was out there alone, I never noticed the dangers like now. I do see what you are talking about. People and things can be very dangerous for us.”

“This is true,” said Jake. “You need to be cautious when around a stranger and don't be so quick to go to them.”

“That's right,” said Midge. “Keep your distance. People can be very cruel to us kind and we need to be very careful.”

“Why are people so cruel to animals?” asked Booker-T.

“I don't know Booker-T,” said Jake. “There are good people but there are bad ones too and you need to be careful. So your mistress is right to want to keep you in at night to keep you safe from any harm.”

“Thanks Jake, Midge,” said Booker-T. “I know she loves me a lot and wants me to be safe. So I will accept that the door is locked at night and I must stay inside the house til morning.”

“In the daytime you still need to be careful of who is around you,” said Midge. “There are bad ones and things out in daytime too. Always keep watch wherever you roam.”

“Okay Midge,” said Booker-T. “I will be careful. Can we go play at the park now?”

“Sure,” said Jake. “Lets go.”

The three friends ran to the park where they met Gabby napping beside the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T