Saturday, May 11, 2013

Misty's First Trip to the Vet


“Hi Misty,” said Midge as she climbed the steps of the front porch at her house. “What are you doing?”
“I was napping,” said Misty.
“Do you want to go to the park with Booker-T, Jake and me?” asked Midge.
“I have to stay here today,” said Misty. “My owner is getting ready now to take me to the vet. I heard her tell the vet on the phone that she wanted me to get some kind of shots today.”

“Oh okay,” said Midge. “He is probably going to give you your yearly vaccinations.”
“Do I have to get them?” asked Misty as she sat shaking.
“Why are you shaking Misty?” asked Midge. “It will be okay. They don't hurt. The vet is good and won't hurt you. The shots are to protect you and anyone you might bite.”
“But I don't bite anyone,” said Misty.
“It's okay, the shots are good for you,” said Midge. “You will be okay, I promise.”
“Okay Midge,” said Misty. “I will try to be brave. I don't know anything about these shot things. Do you get them too?”
“We all get them,” said Midge. “Jake went last week for his shots and Booker-T and I got ours already too.”
“Okay Midge,” said Misty. “I can go to the park when I get home. Will you wait for me?”
“I think you need to rest after you get the shots,” said Midge. “We can go to the park tomorrow if you want.”
“You think I need to rest when I get home?” asked Misty. “Are they going to make me sleepy?”
“Maybe not,” said Midge. “Sometimes Booker-T gets sleepy so he will rest the day he gets the shots and his owner baby's him.”
“Okay,” said Misty. “I will rest when we get home.”
“Hi Misty,” said Booker-T as he ran up the front steps and joined Misty and Midge. “Hi Midge.”
“Hey there Booker-T,” said Midge.
“Hi Booker-T,” greeted Misty.
“Are you coming to the park with us today?” asked Booker-T.
“No,” said Misty. “I can't go today.”
“Are you sick?” asked Booker-T.
“She has to go to the vet's this morning,” said Midge.
“Oh,” said Booker-T. “I already had my shots. You will be okay Misty. Don't be scared.”
“Midge told me it was okay,” said Misty.
“Do you want me to stay with you?” asked Booker-T.
“Would you stay with me?” asked Misty.
“Sure,” said Booker-T. “I don't mind staying home with you. I will wait for you to come back from the vets. We can go to the park tomorrow.”
“Am I going to be sleepy when I get home?” asked Misty.
“Maybe,” said Booker-T
“Sometimes I get sleepy and sometimes I don't get sleepy,” said Midge. “Booker-T will stay here with you today. I'm going to go to Jake's house. I will come back later and see how you are. Maybe Jake will come with me.”
“That would be nice, Midge,” said Misty.
“Here comes your owner now Misty,” said Booker-T pointing to the back yard. “She is bringing a pet carrier. You don't like to ride in the car?”
“I get little scared riding in the car so she puts me in the carrier and I feel safer,” said Misty.
“Oh, okay,” said Midge. “Did something scare you when you were riding in the car?”
“Yes,” said Misty. “My owner and I were on the way to the lake one time and a man driving very fast ran through a red light and hit us.”
“Oh dear!” said Midge. “Were you hurt?”
“I had broken leg and my owner had broken arm and lot of bruises,” said Misty. “She was in hospital over night and they put me in a kennel until she came got me. I was so scared there.”
“You will be okay,” said Midge. “It will get better one day.”
“I hope so,” said Misty as she climbed into the carrier as her owner held the door for her.
“Good-bye Misty,” said Midge.
“I will be here when you get home,” said Booker-T.
“Thank you Booker-T,” said Misty. “Bye.”
Misty stood staring through the bars of the carrier as her owner placed it into the back seat and strapped it into the car. When she shut the car door, Misty sat in the back of the carrier and watcher her owner get into the car behind the wheel and heard the motor start. Midge and Booker-T walked to Booker-T's house and Midge told him good-bye and that she would see him later.
“Misty will be okay,” said Booker-T. “I will sit with her when she gets home.
“Okay Booker-T,” said Midge. “Jake and I will come back later.”
Midge started up the sidewalk to go to Jake's house and called back to Booker-T. “See you later Booker-T.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T