Saturday, August 24, 2013

Good Friends


“Hey Jake!” called Midge as she hurried up the sidewalk to the porch. “Where are you?”

She leaped up the steps and Jake wasn't laying on the swing as he usually does in the morning while he waits on Midge to arrive. She looked around and called again.

“Jake!” said Midge. “Where are you? I don't see you here!”

“Hi Midge,” said Jake as he came rrunning around the corner of the house from the back yard. “I'm here.”

“What are you doing?” asked Midge.

“I was eating my breakfast,” said Jake. “My owner set out the bowl for me a few minutes ago. Would you like some?”

“Oh no,” said Midge. “I ate mine before I came to your house, but you go ahead and finish your breakfast Jake.”

“I just finished it when I heard you calling me,” said Jake.

“Ok,” said Midge. “If you ate it, how were you going to share with me?”

“Ha ha,” laughed Jake. “You have always eaten before you came so I knew you wouldn't want any. I was just being nice.”

“What would you have done if I wanted to share some?” asked Midge.

“I don't know,” said Jake. “But I know you always have breakfast before coming to my house. We have shared lunch and dinner sometimes but we have never shared breakfast.”

“I guess we haven't,” said Midge.

“That's okay,” said Jake. “Maybe one day we will share a breakfast.”

“Okay,” agreed Midge.

“Is Booker-T and Crystal coming this morning?” asked Jake.

“I think so,” said Midge. “I didn't see them outside when I came over this morning. I thought maybe they might be here.”

“I haven't seen them this morning,” replied Jake.

“We can just sit here and relax for a little while and wait for them,” said Midge. “Maybe they will be along soon.”

“Is Susie going to come with Booker-T?” asked Jake. “We haven't seen her for several days.”

“I think she went on vacation with her owner this week,” said Midge. “She will be back in maybe two days more.”

“Oh, okay,” said Jake.

“Hey you guys,” called Gabby as he swooped down from the trees. “What are you two doing?”

“Nothing,” said Jake. “We were just talking about Susie.”

“She's on vacation with her owner this week,” said Midge.

“I just saw them getting home this morning,” said Gabby. “I flew your street Midge and she was getting out of the car. I think Booker-T was walking over there to see her.”

“You think he was?” asked Midge.

“I saw him walking along the sidewalk and I saw her outside, so I guess I thought he was,” said Gabby.

“He might be going to see her,” said Midge. “I think he has missed her since she went away for a while.”

“Maybe Susie will come along with Booker-T today,” said Jake.

“Hi everyone!” called Booker-T as he came through the gate into the front yard at Jake's.

“Hey Booker-T,” said Jake. “Where is Susie and Crystal?”

“They aren't coming today,” said Booker-T. “I talked to Susie and she is too tired and going to take a nap. They just got home from long vacation drive.”

“Did you see Crystal?” asked Midge.

“No,” said Booker-T. “I walked to her house on the way here but she wasn't outside. I thought maybe she came with you Midge.”

“I haven't seen her today,” said Midge.

“I hope she didn't get in trouble for tearing the sweater the other day,” said Jake.

“I don't think so,” said Midge. “I think if she was going to be in trouble for that, she would have gotten in trouble when she was stuck in the bush.”

“Maybe you are right,” said Booker-T. “She wasn't outside when I went over there. I waited for about ten minutes maybe and called her name, but she didn't come out.”

“She is so little,” said Gabby. “Maybe her owner not opened the door yet for her to come out.”

“Maybe,” said Midge nodding her head.

“Do you want to go by her house before we go to the park?” asked Jake.

“Okay,” said Midge. “Lets walk by and see if she is outside now. She likes to go to the park with us.”

They all hurried down the steps and across the yard and out the gate. Midge was leading the way. They rounded the corner onto her street and they entered the gate in front of Crystal's house. Midge hurried up the front porch to find Crystal laying on the lounge chair in the corner.

“Hi everyone,” called Crystal. “I wondered what happened to you all this morning.”

“I came to the house this morning,” said Booker-T. “But you were not outside. Did you sleep late today?”

“Yes,” said Crystal. “My owner didn't have to work today so she slept late and I can't get outside until she wakes up and opens the door for me.”

“Oh,” said Midge. “Do you have a doggie door on the house?”

“Yes,” said Crystal. “But she locks the door when we go to the bed. We had a little door without a lock but a raccoon came in one evening and my owner got scared so she made sure she got a door with a lock on it this time.”

“Oh wow,” said Jake. “A raccoon in the house. I be the little raccoon was little scared too.”

“Yes,” said Crystal. “My owner chased it around the house for an hour before she finally got it to go out the door.”

“Did you try to talk to her?” asked Booker-T. “Maybe if you talked to her, she would have gone out easier.”

“I think she was too scared to talk to me,” said Crystal. “And my owner kept chasing it so no time to talk.”

“I bet that was funny site running around,” laughed Gabby. “I wish I could have seen that.”

“You would,” laughed Booker-T. “You are a silly bird.”

“Ha ha,” said Gabby.

“Ok you two,” said Midge. “Lets go to the park and play.”

“Be nice to each other,” said Jake.

“We are only having fun with each other Jake,” said Booker-T.

“Yes,” said Gabby. “I love to tease Booker-T.”

“Okay,” said Midge. “I know you love to tease him. It is a good thing Booker-T is a fun loving cat.”

“I guess it is,” said Gabby. “I love you Booker-T. You know we are good friends.”

“I know Gabby,” smiled Booker-T. “Midge has always taught us to care about our friends.”

“She's a good friend,” said Gabby.

“Oh, thanks you guys,” blushed Midge.

“All right,” said Jake. “Enough of the mush. Lets go play now.”

“Okay Jake,” said Booker-T. “I am ready.”

They all hurried out the gate and up the sidewalk going to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T