Saturday, September 7, 2013

Gabby Has Sad News


“Hello Jake!” called Midge as she strolled up the walkway to the front porch where Jake was laying on the porch swing. Midge noticed his eyes were closed as she hurried up the steps. “Hey Jake! Jake! Wake up Jake!”

Jake slowly opened his eyes and smiled a litttle. “Hi Midge. What time is it?”

“How long have you been sleeping?” asked Midge.

“I don't know,” said Jake. “Depends on what time it is now.”

“I think it was about 7am when I left my house to come here,” said Midge. “But I don't know for sure.”

“It only takes you about 10 minutes to get here from your house,” said Jake. “Did you walk straight here without stopping off to talk to anyone?”

“I came straight over here Jake,” said Midge.

“I've only been sleeping about 15 minutes then,” said Jake.

“That's not too long,” said Midge. “But you were really sleeping. You didn't even hear me when I called out.”

“I guess I was really sleepy,” laughed Jake.

“Didn't you sleep last night?” asked Midge.

“I laid down when my owner went to bed, but my brain felt like it was going in circles,” said Jake. “Think it was long time before I finally fell asleep and before I knew it, I heard my owner getting up and getting ready for work,” said Jake. “After she left for work, I came out here to nap. The air feels so good this morning.”

“Is Booker-T coming this morning before we go to the park?” asked Midge. “I didn't see him when I left the house.”

“I think he was going to go by Susie's house and bring her with him,” said Jake. “But you know Booker-T. I think his middle name is Late.”

“Ha ha,” laughed Midge. “That is a good one Jake.”

“You know he is late most of the time,” said Jake. “But that's Booker-T.”

“I know he always shows up eventually,” said Midge. “But that's good he is going to get Susie.”

“Hey you two,” said Gabby as he swooped down from the trees and landed on the porch railing.

“Hi Gabby,” greeted Midge. “How are you this morning?”

“Little sad this morning Midge,” said Gabby.

“You are never sad Gabby,” said Jake. “What happened that makes you sad?”

“I was at the park this morning early and saw Rusty,” said Gabby.

“He is at the park already this morning?” asked Midge.

“He was sitting by the pond talking with Snappy,” said Gabby.

“Why does that make you sad?” asked Jake.

“I sat on the rock near the pond to say hello,” said Gabby. “Rusty was telling Snappy that his sister got hit by a car last night.”

“Oh Gabby!” said Midge. “That is terrible. Is she okay?”

“No,” said Gabby. “I think she isn't doing good. Rusty was telling Snappy she was hurting a lot and he was really sad.”

“How did it happen Gabby?” asked Jake.

“What happened?” said Booker-T as he and Susie joined them on the porch.

“Hi Booker-T,” said Midge. “Rusty's sister was hit by a car last night.”

“Oh no!” said Susie. “How did she get hit by a car?”

“She was crossing the street to go to the park,” said Gabby. “I think her and Rusty live now in one of the trees near the pond.”

“We need to go see Rusty,” said Booker-T. “He must really be feeling scared for his sister.”

“How is she?” asked Midge.

“I didn't see her when I was there,” said Gabby. “I don't know.”

“Lets go talk to Rusty,” said Jake.

“I will go with you,” said Gabby.

“Lets go,” said Midge as she started down the steps and hurried along the sidewalk.

The group of friends hurried to the park. They got to the crosswalk and Susie stepped off the curb and Gabby screamed at her, “Susie! Stop!”

“What?” asked Susie as she stopped at looked up toward Gabby.

“That is how Rusty's sister got hit by the car,” said Gabby. “You can't cross the street without stopping and looking both ways first.”

“Oh,” said Susie. “I am sorry. I didn't think about that.”

“We have to start thinking more when we are out,” said Jake. “If we aren't careful it could happen to one of us too.”

“I guess you are right,” said Susie as she stepped back up onto the curb and turned to face the street. She looked up the street one way and then turned to look the other way. “No one is coming.”

“Ok,” said Booker-T. “Now we can hurry across the street to the park.”

The all ran fast across the street and into the park. When they got to the pond, Rusty and Snappy were sitting along the side of the pond talking.

“Hi Snappy,” said Midge. “Hi Rusty.”

“Hi you guys,” said Snappy.

“How are you doing Rusty?” asked Jake.

“Hi,” said Rusty. “I'm okay. My sister is not too good right now.”

“Where is your sister?” asked Susie.

“She's under those bushes on the other side of the pond where she is resting out of the sun,” said Rusty.

“Is she going to be okay Rusty?” asked Booker-T.

“I think so,” said Rusty. “She was lucky and only got bumped by the car as it went slowly by. It had been parked so it was just starting to move. If it had been going faster, my sister might not be here this morning.”

“Oh Rusty,” said Midge. “I am glad she will be okay. We diden't realize we don't always look when we hurry across the street. We need to start doing better and checking to be sure it is safe to cross.”

“Me too,” said Rusty. “I usually just run out across the street fast and don't think about looking. I don't think I will do that anymore.”

“I am happy your sister will be okay,” said Midge. “I think we all learned something this morning.”

“I think so too,” said Susie. “We need to be more careful to stay safe.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T