Friday, November 15, 2013

Susie's New Collar

The three friends told Snappy good-bye and headed to Booker-T's house. They felt good after their swim in the pond. The small breeze was cool as it blew through their wet fur. When they turned the corner on Booker-T and Midge's street, they spotted Susie sitting on her front porch. They hurried to her house to get the news about her owner.
“Hi Susie,” shouted Booker-T as they entered the yard through the front gate.
“Hi Booker-T,” said Susie. “Hi Midge and Jake.”
“How are you doing now?” asked Midge. “I think you are a lot happy now that your owner is home.”

“I was really good to see her,” said Susie as she pranced around on the porch.
“I know you are happy now,” Said Booker-T. “Why don't you sit down and tell us how her trip was.”
“You don't see anything different?” asked Susie.
“No,” said Booker-T looking around the yard and the porch.
“Oh Susie,” said Midge. “You have a pretty new pink collar.”
“Do you like it?” asked Susie.
“It is very nice,” said Midge.
“Yes and look at the top of it,” said Susie.
Midge looked at the back of Susie's neck. “Oh wow, it has your name on it,” said Midge. “That is really nice.”
“Thank you,” said Susie. “She got me a new food bowl too. It is really nice.”
“I thought your old food bowl was nice,” said Booker-T.
“I did too, “ said Susie. “But she wanted to get me a new one. I am happy with it.”
“Is your owner happy to be home?” asked Jake.
“Oh yes, she missed me a lot too,” said Susie. “I hope her job won't send her away again.”
“I hope so too,” said Midge. “I don't think I would like it if my owner went away for long time.”
“Me too,” said Jake.
“I wouldn't like it either,” said Booker-T. “I'm glad you got to stay with me Susie.”
“I am too,” said Susie. “It wouldn't be nice to have to stay in a kennel for that long.”
“Oh yes,” said Midge. “That would not be a good thing. I would hate to be stuck in a cage for two months or more. Even a week is not good.”
“Your owner was nice to let me stay with you,” said Susie.
“She is really nice human,” said Booker-T. “I'm so happy she is my owner and I have Midge to thank for that.”
“I am happy I could find you a nice home too Booker-T,” said Midge. “I really did worry about you out there on the streets alone.”
“You lived on the streets Booker-T?” asked Susie.
“Yes,” said Booker-T. “And Midge wouldn't give up until she got me a good home.”
“Oh, that is nice,” said Susie. “You are a good friend Midge.”
“Thank you,” said Midge. “I'm happy we all have good homes with good owners. Sometimes I feel little sad that Snappy and Gabby don't have nice homes.”
“But they are happier without one,” said Jake. “They would not be happy if they had to live in a tank or a cage.”
“You are right Jake,” said Susie. “I think they are happier being free to run in the outdoors.”
“Where is your owner going?” asked Booker-T watching her get into the car.
“She is going to the store to pick up some food for me and some milk and a few other things we need but she won't be gone long,” said Susie.
They watched the car pull out of the driveway and leave. Susie sat and stared at the car til it disappeared.
“Are you okay Susie?” asked Midge.
“I am good,” said Susie. “I know she will be back in about an hour so I am okay.”
“I see the little sad look on your face,” said Midge.
“I know,” said Susie. “I don't like to see her leaving.”
“Don't worry Susie,” said Jake. “This time she will be back soon.”
“I know,” said Susie. “I Just don't like to see her go. I miss her when she isn't here.”
“I think we all feel the same way when our owners go away,” said Jake.
“Maybe she won't have to go traveling again for so long for the job,” said Booker-T. “But if she does, you can stay with me again.”
“Thanks Booker-T,” smiled Susie. “I'm glad we are friends and am glad your owner lets me stay with you. I wish I could tell my owner to get a nice gift for you too.”
“Oh, that is okay Susie,” said Booker-T. “I am happy you can stay with me.”
“I know,” said Susie.
“Here comes your owner back now,” said Jake.
“Why is she walking over to your house again Booker-T?” asked Susie.
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Maybe she wants to thank my owner for you staying at our house.”
“Maybe,” said Susie. "Maybe she got you something that's in the bag she is carrying."
“Do you want to go for little walk around the block Susie?” asked Booker-T.
“Sure,” said Susie. “I'd like that.”
“Do you want to go Midge, Jake?” asked Booker-T.
“No,” said Midge. “You two go for your little walk. I am going home to eat some dinner. I think it is time for my dinner. My owner will be looking for me.”
“Me too,” said Jake. “I will see you tomorrow.”

Booker-T and Susie started for their little walk and Jake and Midge headed for their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T