Thursday, January 16, 2014

Gabby Wants a Favor

The friends were all playing at the pond and Gabby was sitting on a tree limb that was in the pond watching them running around to keep warm. Gabby sat shivering on the limb.
"Gabby," said Midge. "Why don't you come over here by the tree and get warm in these pile of leaves."
"It would be warmer than sitting out there in the pond on that limb," said Booker-T.
"Okay," said Gabby as he flew to the leaves and landed in the middle of them close to the tree.
"Is that better Gabby?" asked Midge.
"It should be a little better," said Jake. "It is out of the wind. The wind is cold."
"Yes," said Gabby. "This is better. Midge, can I ask a favor of you?"
"Sure Gabby," said Midge. "We are friends and you can ask me anything and if I can do it, you know I will."
"Thanks Midge," said Gabby. "You are a good friend. I'm happy we are friends."
"Me too," said Midge.
"We are all good friends," said Jake.
"I agree," said Booker-T. "I never thought I would be friends with a bird and couple of dogs."
"We are different," said Gabby.

"But that is a good thing, don't you think?" asked Jake.
"It is good," said Gabby.
"What favor do you need Gabby?" asked Midge.
"Can I come live with you and Snappy in your house?" asked Gabby. "I will be good and not fly all over the house."
"Oh, my," said Midge. "It is okay with me, but how to get my owner to let you come in is the thing I have to think about."
"Think about what?" asked Booker-T.
"We have to come up with a plan like I did with Snappy," said Midge. "I think she will bring Gabby into the house, but we need an idea that will make her want to."
"Oh," said Gabby. "Lets think."
The four sat together under the tree and thought and thought about Gabby's little problem.
"We just have to find a way Midge," said Gabby. "It is too cold out here."
"I think I have an idea," said Booker-T.
"Oh that's great," said Jake. "What is it?"
"Well," smiled Booker-T. "Gabby could pretend that he has a hurt wing and your owner will bring him in to heal. What do you think?"
"It might work," said Midge. "She helped a little sparrow one time that had fallen out of it's nest. She put it in a little box and took care of it til it could fly."
"That is a good idea Booker-T," said Gabby. "Come on Midge, lets go try it out."
"My owner isn't home right now," said Midge. "She went to work this morning. We can try it when she comes home."
"Are we all ready to back home and warm up," said Booker-T. "I'm so cold now."
"Sure," said Jake. "Me too. I want to curl up in my nice new blanket and get warm."
"Oh," sighed Gabby. "I don't have a place to get warm yet."
"Come with me Gabby," said Midge. "You can come into the house through my doggie door with me and when my owner drives up, you can come outside and act injured."
"Thanks Midge," smiled Gabby. "Lets go, I'm cold too."
The four hurried across the park to the sidewalk and ran to Jake's house. Jake rushed up the steps to the porch to where his warm blanket was in the sun. The porch was protected from the wind and the sun felt so warm and cozy. He curled up on the blanket. "It is really warm on the blanket here in the sun," said Jake. "Do you want to join me?"
"Thanks Jake," said Midge. "But I am going to the house and go inside where it is warm. I will see you tomorrow."
"Me too," said Booker-T. "And I know Gabby wants to get inside out of this cold air."
"Okay," said Jake. "Good luck with the plan Midge."
"Thanks Jake," said Midge. "I hope it works too."
The three hurried along the sidewalk and Booker-T ran up the sidewalk to his house and told Midge good-bye.
"I will see you in the morning, Booker-T," said Midge. "Get inside now and get warm."
"The sun does feel good out here, but the wind is so cold when it blows," said Booker-T.
"I'm so cold Midge," said Gabby.
"Come on," said Midge as she ran across the yard from Booker-T's house to her house. Her and Gabby went to the back door and Midge pushed through the door to the inside of the house. She stood holding the door opened. "Come on Gabby. Walk through the door."
Gabby landed on the porch near the door and peeked inside. "It is okay?"
"No one is here," said Midge. "Come on in and we will go see Snappy."
Gabby carefully walked through the door into the kitchen of the house and stood on the floor looking around. "Wow!" said Gabby. "This is nice."
"Yes, it is," smiled Midge. "I like it here."
"I have never been inside a house before," said Gabby. "Do you think Booker-T's idea will work Midge?"
"I don't know for sure," said Midge. "But we will try. She is a good person and loves animals of all kinds."
"I'm a bird," said Gabby. "An outside bird."
"That is true," said Midge. "Too bad we couldn't make you look like a parrot."

"Oh, that's funny," laughed Gabby. "Me a parrot."
"Awww Gabby,” laughed Midge. “You might make a cute parrot, don't you think so?”
“Sure,” laughed Gabby. “But don't you think I'm too small for a parrot?”
“Oh no,” said Midge. “There are small parrots too but they are usually gray or green. Don't know if they have blue ones.”
“That is okay Midge,” said Gabby. “Don't think I can pass as a parrot and convince anyone I am. We can try Booker-T's idea “
“I think it will work,” said Midge. “We just have to wait for her to come home. I don't know what time it is but I think she will be coming soon.”
“Can I wait in here til she comes?” asked Gabby. “It is nice in here.”
“Sure,” said Midge. “Come on in the other room and see Snappy.”
The two went to the living room where Snappy was laying on a little log in his new tank. Gabby flew up and landed on the edge of the tank. “Hi Snappy,” said Gabby.
“Hi Gabby,” said Snappy. “What are you doing in here?”
“We are going to try and get my owner to let Gabby stay for the winter,” said Midge.
“Oh, that will be good Gabby,” said Snappy. “It is so cold outside this year.”
“I know,” said Gabby. “I heard you were staying here so I asked Midge for a favor.”
“We will know soon,” said Midge. “I hear the clock in the hall dinging four times so won't be long and she will be home.”
The three listened for the car to drive into the driveway and get ready for Gabby's performance. Midge thought the idea would work and she would bring Gabby into the house to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T