Friday, January 31, 2014

Gabby Whistles a Tune

Midge awoke early and ran down the stairs to check on Gabby and Snappy. She jumped into the big chair and poked her nose over the edge of the tank.
“Hi Snappy,” greeted Midge. “How are you this morning?”
“Hi Midge,” said Snappy. “I am good. I just love the warm water your owner gives me to swim in. It really feels good. I like it here.”
“Me too,” said Gabby as he poked his head out of the basket. “It is so nice of your owner to take care of us for the winter.”
“I know,” said Midge. “She is a good person. You will be here alone when I go to Jake's this morning. Will you be okay til I get back?”

“Oh sure,” said Gabby.
“I will too,” said Snappy. “We will be nice and warm in here.”
“Okay,” said Midge. “My owner will be coming downstairs soon to get our breakfast before she goes to work. So don't act too good Gabby. You are supposed to have an injured wing remember.”
“I remember,” said Gabby. “I will be careful. I sure don't want to get put outside in the cold. But what happens when she thinks it is time that I am doing better?”
“We will worry about that when the time comes,” said Midge. “I think it will be okay.”
“Is your basket nice Gabby?” asked Snappy.
“Oh yes,” said Gabby. “And this little blanket she put in here for me to sit in is very warm. I like it. My outside nest would be nice with this in it.”
“Ha ha,” said Midge. “She has lot of pieces of material upstairs in her basket in the closet. Maybe we can find a small piece that is same kind for you to take with you when Spring comes.”
“I would love that Midge,” said Gabby. “Thanks.”
“Here comes my owner now,” said Midge looking toward the stairs.
Midge's owner came down the stairs dressed in her jeans and sweater ready for work. When it is cold her employer lets them come to work dressed warm. “Good morning Midge,” said her owner as she patted Midge on the head. “How are our friends this morning?”
Midge barked a short bark to give her approval and poked her head over the edge of the tank where Snappy was sitting on a small log at the edge of the water.
“They look good this morning,” she said. “The little bird is resting good I think. How about we go get something to eat for you and your little friends.”
Midge followed her owner into the kitchen where she filled Midge's bowl with her favorite food and a fresh bowl of water. She took out some food for Snappy and some small pieces of fruit and seeds for Gabby. Midge ate her food and quickly came to the living room where Gabby and Snappy were eating their food. Midge leaped into the big chair.
“Is it good?” asked Midge.
“This is so great,” said Gabby. “I like the fruit pieces and the seeds are great. I am so happy that your idea worked Midge.”
“Me too,” agreed Midge. “It is really cold this winter.”
“I like this food too,” said Snappy. “I never had food like this before. I don't have it at the little pond. Maybe you can bring me some once in a while when I go to the pond.”
“Maybe,” said Midge. “But I don't know how I would get my owner to buy more when it runs out if you aren't here. Do you want to stay in here all the time?”
“I don't know,” said Snappy. “I never thought about it. It is nice in here and no kids to bother me at the pond, I like that.”
“This is true,” said Gabby. “You have a really nice home there. I think I would stay all the time if she will let you.”
“I have to think about it,” said Snappy. “But you might be right. Do you think she would let me stay all the time if I want to stay?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “I don't have a way to ask her.”
“This is true,” said Snappy. “How do we let her know I want to live here with you Midge?”
Gabby finished his food and started whistling a little song. He was so happy to be warm inside and not out in the cold.
Midge's owner entered the room from the kitchen. “I think your little bird friend is happy Midge. He is singing a song for us.”
Midge barked a short bark in response agreeing that Gabby was happy. She patted Midge on the head and said “Well, it is time for me to go to work Midge. You be good girl today and watch out for our little friends.”
Midge walked to the front door with her owner and stood at the window and watched her back the car out of the driveway.
“Does she go to work every day?” asked Gabby.
“Almost every day,” said Midge. “She don't work on Saturday and Sundays and sometimes if the weather is really bad, she works from home.”
“That is nice,” said Snappy. “Are you going to Jake's this morning?”
“Yes,” said Midge. “I won't be gone long.”
“Tell Jake hello for us,” said Gabby. “We will miss going to the park and playing with you but it is really nice being warm here in the house.”
“I think being warm is better than being out there and playing and staying in the cold during the night. I am glad you will be in here and staying warm,” said Midge.
“Me too,” said Snappy. “We will be here waiting for you to come home.”
“I will try to hurry,” said Midge. “Maybe Jake and Booker-T will come to visit you while my owner is gone.”
“Oh that would be nice,” said Gabby.
Midge said good-bye to Snappy and Gabby and headed out the little door in the kitchen. She ran along the sidewalk to Jake's house. As she turned the corner, she saw that Booker-T was already there waiting on her.
“Hi Midge,” said Jake as she leaped up the porch and sat down in the swing.
“Hi Jake,” greeted Midge. “Hi Booker-T. You beat me here.”
“I didn't see you this morning so thought I missed you and you had already come to Jake's,” said Booker-T. “You are late this morning.”
“I know,” said Midge. “I was talking to Snappy and Gabby after my owner left for work. They both said to tell you hi.”
“How are they?” asked Jake.
“They are doing good,” said Midge. “They love being in the warm house. Snappy even wants to stay there all the time. He loves the new little home he has in the big tank.”
“Oh that is good,” said Jake.
“What about Gabby?” asked Booker-T. “Is he doing okay?”
“Yes,”said Midge. “He is doing good. Loves the warm blanket she put in the basket for him.”
“That is good,” said Jake. “Can we go to your house to see them?”
“Sure,” said Midge. “Lets go.”
The three friends ran along the sidewalk to Midge's house to visit the other two friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T