Friday, January 30, 2015

Midge Tries to Fly

 “Good morning Midge,” smiled Gabby as he flew down from the tree tops with a beak full of feathers.
“Hi Gabby,” said Midge. “Oh, you brought me some feathers.”
“I did and my friend is here too with some more,” said Gabby. “Where are Jake and Booker-T?”
“They should be here soon,” said Midge.
“And how are you going to put the feathers on?” asked Gabby. “I don't have anything to attach them with.”
“Oh dear,” sighed Midge. “I forgot about that. I don't know how to attach them.”
“You were only thinking about flying,” said Gabby. “But you can't try to fly until you attach the feathers to you.”

“Maybe Jake will have an idea,” said Midge. “Or maybe Booker-T.”
“I don't know,” said Gabby. “You are the one who thinks of those kind of things and if you didn't, maybe you should not try to fly again.”
“But I really want to fly like you do Gabby,” said Midge. “It must be so good to be up there high above everything.”
“It's nice, but dogs aren't suppose to fly,” said Gabby. “Flying is for the birds.”
“Here comes Jake and Booker-T,” said Midge.
“Hi you guys,” said Jake. “What are you doing?”
“Are you ready to fly Midge?” asked Booker-T with a big smile on his face.
“You don't think I can, do you?” asked Midge. “Gabby brought me some feathers and his friend is coming with more.”
“But she forgot how she was going to attach them to herself,” laughed Gabby. “Big important step.”
“How are you going to put on the feathers?” asked Jake.
“Well, I really hadn't thought about that,” frowned Midge.
“Didn't you think that would be important?” asked Booker-T.
“Maybe your owner has some glue and we can glue them on you,” suggested Gabby.
“I will run inside and check,” smiled Midge. “Glue might be good.”
“Might be?” asked Jake. “Don't you think it better work or you will not get off the ground.”
Midge ran inside to search for glue. The other three burst out laughing when she went to the back of the house.
“Why is she wanting to fly again?” asked Gabby. “I thought when she tried it the last time, she gave up on that idea.”
“You know Midge,” said Jake. “She decided that she didn't fly the last time because she didn't have feathers. These aren't going to be enough.”
“My friend is bringing some more,” said Gabby. “She should be here in few minutes, I think.”
“Hi Gabby,” said Polly as she swooped down from the tree.
“Hi Polly,” said Gabby. “Meet my friends, Jake and Booker-T.”
“Where is Midge?” asked Polly.
“She went in the house to find glue,” said Gabby.
“Midge is the one who is going to try and fly?” asked Polly.
“She is,” laughed Jake.
“Why does she want to fly?” asked Polly. “Doesn't she know that dogs don't fly?”
“She does,” said Booker-T. “But that don't stop Midge from wanting to try.”
“I don't think this will work,” said Polly.
“We have to let Midge find that out for herself,” said Jake. “Telling her no don't make it go away in her mind.”
“Do you mind if I stay and watch?” asked Polly.
“You are welcome anytime,” said Gabby. “We are all friends.”
“Hi,” said Midge as she came around the corner. “You must be Gabby's friend.”
“This is Polly,” said Gabby. “She brought you some more feathers. Did you find the glue?”
“Glue?” laughed Polly. “That might not be a good idea.”
“I found her glue on the desk,” said Midge. “Think this is good?”
“Might work Midge,” said Jake. “But how are you going to get the feathers off when you are done using them?”
“You might be wearing feathers for a while if you can't get them back off,” said Booker-T. “Or maybe your owner will have to shave you bald to get rid of them.”
“Hmmmm,” laughed Gabby. “Another little detail you forgot about.”
“Maybe you are right,” sighed Midge. “Maybe flying is not a good idea for me.”
“Don't feel too sad Midge,” said Jake. “We have lot of fun down here on the ground.”
“Jake is right, Midge,” said Booker-T. “Life on the ground is pretty good you know.”
“I know,” said Midge. “But I really wanted to try and fly like Gabby does. It looks like so much fun up there in the air and you can see a lot of things from up there.”
“But we birds are made to fly and dogs are made to walk on the ground,” said Polly.
“But you walk on the ground too,” said Midge. “I wanted to fly and walk on the ground.”
“I think you have to find something else to do,” suggested Polly.
“Don't worry, she will find something else to try,” laughed Jake. “She is always thinking of something to get into.”
“It is good to do new things,” smiled Midge.
“Sometimes it is okay but sometimes it might not be right for dogs,” said Jake.
“Remember when I got us all those nice free hamburgers?” said Midge. “I was thinking.”
“You were,” said Booker-T. “But that was easy.”
“I had to do some thinking to come up with the idea,” said Midge. “And how about getting in to dance on that show?”
“That was sneaky,” said Jake. “You really didn't get on the show but you did dance on the stage that day.”
“It was fun,” said Midge. “Everyone there liked me.”
“Yes they did,” agreed Jake.
“She danced in front of a lot of people?” asked Polly.
“She did,” said Booker-T.
“She wouldn't give up until we helped her get into the dance auditions,” said Gabby.
“I think it is good she is always thinking,” said Polly. “It must be fun being her friend.”
“Oh, it is definitely lot of fun,” said Jake. “You are in for some interesting times being our friend.”
Thanks for including me,” said Polly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T