Friday, January 23, 2015

The Funny Balls

 Midge ran up to the door at Booker-T's house. “Hey Booker-T!” called Midge. “Where are you?”
“Hi Midge,” said Booker-T as he hurried out of the backyard and joined Midge in the front. “What are you doing?”
“Lets go to Jake's,” said Midge.
“Okay,” said Booker-T.
“What were you doing?” asked Midge.
“I was watching the neighbor boys playing in the back yard,” said Booker-T.
“What are they doing?” asked Midge.
“They are throwing a funny looking ball back and forth and sometimes it breaks and they get wet,” said Booker-T. “Then they laugh and laugh and do it again.”
“Can we go see?” asked Midge. “That sounds like fun.”

They ran to the back yard and saw the boys throwing the funny ball back and forth. The one would toss it and the other reached out to grab it and it changed shape. Sometimes it would break and water was all over him.
“What kind of ball is that?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Maybe Jake knows. His owner has nephews that play ball.”
“We can ask him when he gets here,” said Midge.
“Is he coming to your house this morning?” asked Booker-T.
“Yes,” said Midge. “He wanted to see Snappy today before we take a walk to the park.”
“Hi Midge,” called Jake as he came around to the back yard. “Hi Booker-T. I was over at your house but didn't see you there.”
“Hi Jake,” said Midge. “Booker-T and I are watching those two boys playing with that funny ball.”
“What kind of ball is that Jake,” asked Booker-T.
Jake looked over to where the boys were playing. He watched one pick up one of the funny balls and toss it to the other. I changed shape when the other boy tried to catch it. This time, the ball didn't break and the other boy threw it back.
“That is a water balloon,” laughed Jake. “My owner's nephews like to throw them around sometimes. Their mom gets upset with them when they get all wet.”
“It's a water balloon?” asked Booker-T. “Where do you get a water balloon. I never heard of a water balloon. I only see balloons.”
“The boys take the balloons and fill them up with water and tied the end so the water won't come out,” said Jake. “But when they throw them, the balloons break from the water.”
“It looks like fun,” said Midge.
“That would be good in the hot weather to cool off,” said Booker-T. “Does it hurt when the balloon hits you?”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I never got hit with one of them. I was next to the boys when they were playing with them but only got wet.”
“Why does the balloon break when they throw it?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Maybe the water breaks it. I played with a balloon one time and they break really easy.”
“I know,” said Midge. “I went to grab one that floated into the yard one day and it broke. It scared me when it popped.”
“Remember all the balloons at the circus when we went there?” asked Jake.
“I remember them,” said Midge. “They floated in the air.”
“I saw them blowing up those balloons with air from a tank,” said Jake. “I don't know why they fly.”
“Maybe we can get a lot of those floating balloons and hold onto them and we will float into the air,” smiled Midge.
“Oh very funny,” said Booker-T. “There she is again Jake, wanting to fly.”
“She still wants to find a way to fly,” said Jake.
“One of these days,” said Midge. “I will find a way. Just watch me and see.”
“Keep on thinking Midge,” laughed Booker-T.
“You don't think I can?” asked Midge.
“Oh, I know you and I know you will find a way if you can,” said Midge.
“Find a way to do what?” asked Gabby as he flew down from the trees above.
“How long you been up there?” asked Jake.
“I just got here,” said Gabby. “I just landed on the branch when I heard you saying something about finding a way to do something.”
“She's thinking again,” said Jake.
“Oh no,” laughed Gabby. “Any time she starts thinking, one never knows what is going to happen.”
“Well, you all just laugh,” said Midge. “But one of these days, I will have an idea and it will work.”
“We are sure you will try,” said Jake.
“Is someone going to tell me what you are going to do?” asked Gabby.
“Midge is wanting to fly again,” said Jake.
“How did you get on that subject again?” asked Gabby. “I thought it was settled that you can't fly?”
“You know me,” said Midge. “I want to fly and if there is a way, I want to find it.”
“Want me to get you a bunch of feathers?” asked Gabby. “Maybe you can attach them to you and you can try to fly.”
“Can you attach them to my legs and I'll flap them like wings,” said Midge. “That might work.”
“Midge,” laughed Jake. “You are too heavy for feathers to hold you up.”
“She is never going to admit that until she tries,” said Gabby. “I will get a bunch of feathers that are on the ground at the zoo for her and she can try once again. Maybe this time, she will give it up for good.”
“Bring them tomorrow Gabby,” said Midge. “I want to try and fly. I'm so excited. It just has to work.”
“I will get them,” said Gabby.
“Aren't you excited Jake?” asked Midge.
“I am excited for you,” said Jake. “But don't expect too much. You are too heavy for feathers.”
“I will try,” said Midge.
“We will be there if you hurt yourself,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge. “You will be surprised when I fly.”
“If you can fly,” said Booker-T. “We will all be surprised.”
“Just wait and see,” said Midge.
“We will all be waiting,” laughed Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T