Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Old Cars

Midge and Booker-T hurried along the sidewalk on their way to Jake's place with Smokey running behind to keep up.
Come on Smokey,” said Midge.
I'm hurrying,” said Smokey. “You walk so fast you know.”
Oh,” said Midge stopping to let Smokey catch up with them. “I didn't think about it.”
I guess we are used to all of us walking fast,” said Booker-T. “We will slow down.”
The three strolled along at a slower pace, continuing on their way to Jake's. They rounded the corner and entered the gate at Jake's place.
Hey Jake!” called Midge as they entered the yard. “Where are you?”
Hi Midge,” said Jake as he came from the back yard. “Well, who have you got with you?”

This is Smokey,” said Booker-T. “We found him in Midge's back yard this morning curled up against her dog house.”
Hi Smokey,” said Jake. “I'm Jake.”
Hi Jake,” greeted Smokey. “Wow, you are a dog too.”
Yes,” smiled Jake. “Is that okay with you?”
Oh yes,” said Smokey. “I didn't know dogs and cats were friends. I never had a dog friend.”
You look like you are very young,” said Jake. “Maybe you haven't had time to meet any dogs.”
I used to live where there was a dog,” said Smokey. “But he was mean so we weren't friends.”
He was mean to you?” asked Midge.
Yes,” said Smokey.
That is sad,” said Midge. “Even though we are different, we all get along and enjoy doing things together.”
Midge is a good talker,” laughed Jake. “She always manages to convince everyone that it doesn't matter who we are, we should all be friends. Welcome to our group.”
You have a group?” asked Smokey.
We always play together,” said Jake. “So I guess we are like a little group.”
And sometimes it gets pretty interesting with Midge around,” laughed Booker-T. “Midge is who found my home for me.”
Wow,” said Smokey. “That is nice. And now she wants me to live with Booker-T.”
That's Midge,” smiled Jake.
Hey Jake,” said Midge. “You have a new collar too. Booker-T and I have new ones too, see?”
They are nice,” said Jake. “We need to get one for Smokey.”
I think he is going to live with Booker-T,” said Midge.
My owner will get him one,” said Booker-T. “I just know she will.”
Is she going to take him to the vet?” asked Jake.
I heard her on the phone last night,” said Booker-T. “She was making an appointment to take him there.”
What is a vet?” asked Smokey.
He is a doctor for animals,” said Midge. “He will check you all over and give you a shot for the year.”
A shot!” said Smokey. “I don't want to get shot. Won't I be dead if he shoots me?”
Oh no,” laughed Booker-T. “It isn't that kind of shot. This is medicine to protect you and people around you.”
I will be okay?” asked Smokey.
Yes,” smiled Midge. “We all get the shots every year and they give your owner a new metal tag. I think it has a date on it.”
Okay,” said Smokey.
We are going to the little zoo,” said Jake. “Do you want to go with us?”
Sure,” smiled Smokey. “I've never been to the zoo. What are we going to the zoo for?”
We are going to see the new animals,” said Midge.
This is what they call a holding zoo,” said Jake. “It is not the big zoo.”
The big zoo is too far away and we can't get there,” said Booker-T. “But we can go in this place and see the neat animals.”
The place only has 5 cages,” said Midge.
The animals only go there on their way to the big zoo so they don't stay long,” said Jake. “So we get to see different animals all the time.”
That will be fun,” smiled Smokey.
Lets go,” said Booker-T. “I want to see who is there.”
Do you go to the zoo a lot?” asked Smokey.
This will be our 3rd visit to it,” said Jake.
Thank you for inviting me,” said Smokey as he followed them out the gate and onto the sidewalk..
They were nearing the zoo when Midge shouted, “Hey look over there!”
I don't see anything,” said Booker-T. “What are you seeing?”
You don't see those old cars?” asked Midge.
They have been there two days,” said Jake. “I saw them when I rode to the store with my owner last night.”
Wow,” said Midge. “They are really old aren't they?”
How do you know they are old?” asked Smokey.
Have you seen the cars that drive on the streets all the time?” asked Booker-T. “They don't look anything like those.”
Does that mean they are old?” asked Smokey.
No,” Said Midge. “Lets go look at the cars.”
The four crossed the street into the big lot next to the school. They roamed around through the area looking at the cars that were parked there.
Look at this big yellow one,” said Smokey. “Yellow is my favorite color.”
Me too,” said Booker-T. “Next to orange. Orange is my favorite but I've never seen an orange car.”
I don't think people would like an orange car,” said Midge. “Maybe they feel like they are driving a pumpkin if the car was orange.”
Maybe,” agreed Jake. “I like the color blue.”
I like red,” said Midge.
There is a red car Midge,” said Jake. “See that one over there?”
Oh yeah, said Midge. “What kind of car is that?”
Lets go see,” suggested Jake.
They went to check out the red car.
Is this like the dinosaur show?” asked Booker-T.
I think it is,” said Jake. “Wow! We got to see the dinosaur statues and now the old cars.”
And we got to see the animals in the zoo,” said Midge.
I think you have a lot of fun,” smiled Smokey. “I'm glad we are now friends.”

We are too,” smiled Midge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T