Friday, February 12, 2016

Midge and the Dog Show

“Hi Jake!” greeted Midge as she and Booker-T came through the gate at his house. “What are you doing?”
“I am looking at the pictures in this book,” smiled Jake.
“Pictures of what?” asked Booker-T.
“Pretty show dogs,” replied Jake. “There are many different kinds of dogs in those dog shows. Little dogs, big dogs and medium dogs. Look at this boxer. Don't you think she is great looking. I would like to meet her.”
“I've seen some of them on TV when my owner watched the dog shows sometimes,” said Midge. “Some of those dogs are really snooty acting too and so are their owners.”
“How do you know they are snooty without talking to them?” asked Jake.

“I see them when the reporters interview them,” said Midge. “The owners always sound so snooty and better than people like our owners. The dogs always stand there with their noses in the air.”
“But the pictures are pretty,” said Jake. “I like to see the pictures.”
“Do they have any cats in the book?” asked Booker-T. “I want to see some cat pictures.”
“No,” said Jake. “This is a book about dogs.”
“Do they have cat shows?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know if they do or not,” said Midge. “I've never seen one.”
“Maybe cats don't like to be in those shows,” said Booker-T.
“I want to enter a dog show Jake,” said Midge. “Don't you think I would be good enough to win one of those blue ribbons?”
“You would be a big winner Midge,” smiled Booker-T. “I think you are prettier than some of these dogs and you aren't snooty either. Do you think your owner will enter you some day?”
“Thanks Booker-T,” said Midge. “Coming from a cat, that is really nice. I don't know if my owner will enter me or not. Do you think I could win too Jake?”
“Don't you think Midge would be a big winner, Jake?” asked Booker-T.
“She sure would,” smiled Jake. “In her pretty pink collar with all the rhinestones on it and her pretty pink bows on her ears. She would be a sure winner, but she needs to get her owner to enter her in the show somehow.”
“Don't we have a dog show coming to town soon?” asked Midge.
“What are you thinking of doing?” asked Jake.
“You know me too well, Jake,” laughed Midge.
“We sure do,” said Booker-T. “You never let anything get by you without some kind of idea churning around in your brain.”
“I'm going to enter the dog show,” said Midge with a huge smile and a wink.
“And just how will you do that?” asked Jake. “I think the dog's owners have to enter their dogs and you aren't a show dog so don't think that your owner is going to enter you in it.”
“Oh, that's okay Jake,” said Midge. “I'm going to walk out there in the center ring all by myself and prance around that show ring showing myself to all those people and the judges.”
“They will kick you out before you get very far,” said Booker-T.
“They have to catch me first,” said Midge.
“Those men who handle those dogs are pretty fast Midge,” said Jake.
“Just watch me Jake and you will see a miracle in action,” said Midge prancing back and forth in front of Jake and Booker-T.
“Oh no, Jake,” said Booker-T. “She now thinks she is a miracle worker that is about to happen. We will never hear the end of this one.”
“Sure we will,” said Jake. “When she walks in there and they toss her out, she won't say anything about it.”
“Haven't I always said you need to have confidence and be willing to try anything at least once?” asked Midge. “I have confidence that I will make it into that center ring where the judges will give me a blue ribbon because I will look so great.”
“Confidence is good,” said Jake. “But don't be too disappointed if that confidence of yours doesn't get you a blue ribbon. I think you have to officially be entered into the show to win.”
“Jake is right Midge,” said Booker-T. “I don't want to see your feelings get hurt. Dogs probably have to officially be entered to win.”
“Maybe,” said Midge. “But there is always that exception to any rules you know. Don't you think?”
“Dreams are good Midge,” said Jake. “But I think this is just a dream you have right now that you won't be able to win at.”
“That's okay Jake,” sighed Midge. “Just wait until the dog show comes and I will try to go after that dream of mine with all the confidence in the world.”
“Okay Midge,” said Jake.
“I will find that one way to win the blue ribbon after entering that show ring,” said Midge.
“Maybe you can win a ribbon for being the only dog to break into a dog show,” laughed Booker-T.
“That's good Booker-T,” laughed Jake. “And here we are, the winner of breaking and entering a dog show, Midge!”
“Very funny you two,” said Midge. “Will you come with me?”
“We will always be with you whatever mischief you get into,” said Jake. “When you go into that ring, you will go alone like you did at the gym when you went to dance.”
“I'm okay with that as long as I know you guys are out there waiting on me,” said Midge.
“Can we go play at the park now?” asked Jake.
They each agreed and walked to the park. All along the walk, Midge thought about winning that blue ribbon. “I just know I can do it,” thought Midge. “Just wait til I show Jake and Booker-T that blue ribbon when they pin it to my collar.”
“Come on Midge,” said Jake as they started crossing the street. I think your mind is a million miles away.”
“I'm coming,” said Midge.
“Forget about the dog show right now,” said Booker-T. “Lets have some fun.”
“Okay,” said Midge.


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T