Friday, August 12, 2016

Porky

 “Come on Jake,” said Midge. “I want to go see that funny looking animal in the other corner.”
“That's Porky,” said Andy. “He is different.”
“He looks like he is having a bad hair day,” laughed Midge. “Why is his hair sticking out like that?”
“I don't know,” said Andy. “I don't have any hair.”
“Why don't you have hair?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Andy. “I look like I am wearing armour.”
“Why do you need armour?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Andy. “I've never been in a fight before.”
“You are the first animal I ever saw with no hair,” said Midge. “Do you miss having hair?”
“I don't know,” said Andy. “I never had any.”

“I guess that's right,” laughed Jake. “You can't miss what you never had.”
“Let's go talk to Porky,” said Midge as she turned to walk to the other end of the room.
Jake and Booker-T turned to follow Midge. “Bye Andy,” said Jake.
“Bye you guys,” said Andy. “It was nice talking to you guys.”
They walked to the cage where Porky was sleepy in the corner.
“He looks like he is sleeping,” said Booker-T. “He must be tired.”
“The sign here says that he is a nocturnal animal,” said Midge. “What does that mean?”
“I don't know,” said Jake.
“I think he is having a bad hair day,” said Midge. “Wow, look at all those hairs sticking out.”
“They look sharp,” said Jake. “Do you think they are sharp?”
“Maybe,” said Midge.
“Why are you guys talking and waking me up?” asked Porky.
“We are sorry Porky,” smiled Midge.
“How did you know my name?” asked Porky.
“Andy told us everyone's name,” said Jake. “We are sorry we woke you up.”
“Why are you guys out of your cages?” asked Porky.
“We don't live in any cages,” said Midge.
“Why?” asked Porky as he slowly walked to the front of the cage. “Can I come out there with you guys?”
“I don't think so,” said Jake. “The cages are locked and we can't open them.”
“I want to come out there with you,” said Porky frowning.
“We are sorry,” said Booker-T. “Andy wanted to come out too.”
“Where would you go if you got out of the cage?” asked Jake.
“I can go live in the woods,” said Porky. “Do you have a woods with some water?”
“we have a park with a pond,” said Midge.
“I can live there,” said Porky.
“I think they are going to take you to a nice home with trees and water,” said Jake.
“It will be a place where you can be safe,” said Midge. “And maybe you will have friends who are like you when you get there.”
“That would be nice to have friends,” said Porky. “But you can be my friends.”
“We can be your friends but we can't live with you,” said Booker-T. “The zoo people won't let us stay here.”
“I can come live with you,” suggested Porky.
“I don't think the humans would like that,” said Jake. “They like dogs and cats and birds.”
“You can tell them I'm a dog,” said Porky.
“You would be a funny looking dog,” laughed Booker-T.
“I guess I would be a funny looking dog,” sighed Porky. “I guess I have to stay in this place.”
“Oh no,” said Midge. “This place is just a temporary place on your way to the big zoo home.”
“You will like the big place,” said Jake trying to make Porky feel better.
“Do you think it will be okay there?” asked Porky.
“I think so,” said Midge. “Our friend, Gabby, said the big zoo is a really nice place. All the animals there love living there. They see all kinds of humans there who come to see them.”
“I get to see humans?” asked Porky.
“Yes,” said Booker-T. “They come to the zoo and look at all the animals.”
“Do you think they will like me?” asked Porky.
“Some humans will like you,” said Midge. “Other humans maybe not like you.”
“They won't like me?” asked Porky.
“The humans are all different,” said Jake. “I am a dog and Booker-T is a cat. Some humans don't like dogs and other humans don't like cats.”
“I used to see humans walking around the pond I lived near,” said Porky. “But they never saw me. I always hid in the bushes when they came past.”
“Did all the animals where you live, like you?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Porky. “None of them talked to me. I don't know why.”
“It's okay, Porky,” said Midge. “You will have friends in the big zoo.”
“They will all be like you,” said Jake. “The other animals in the cages near you will talk to you too.”
“Will you guys come to see me?” asked Porky.
“I told Andy that we will try,” said Midge. “But the big zoo is a long way from here. If we can sneak on the train, we will come see you.”
“We would also have to sneak into the zoo,” said Jake. “It won't be as easy as it is here.”
“The gates here are open all the time in the day,” said Midge.
“Here it is free for the humans to come in,” said Booker-T. “So they keep the gate open all the time. They only close the gate at night.”
“Is the other zoo open?” asked Porky.
“Our friend Gabby said the gate at the big zoo is always shut,” said Jake. “The humans have to pay money to get into it.”
“Do you have money?” asked Porky.
“No,” said Midge. “We don't have money.”
“If we can get to the zoo,” said Jake. “Midge is good at sneaking us into places.”
“Jake's right,” laughed Booker-T. “She is good at sneaking.”
“We have to go home now,” said Midge. “Be happy Porky. All will be fine.”
“Bye guys,” smiled Porky.

“Bye Porky,” said the three as they headed to the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T