Friday, August 5, 2016

Trip to the Zoo

“Here I come to save the day!” sang Jake as he strolled along the sidewalk.
“Hey Jake!” called Booker-T as he ran to the fence to greet Jake. “What are you doing?”
“I'm on the way to see you and Midge,” said Jake. “Do you want to go the little zoo again today?”
“Oh yes,” said Booker-T. “That would be great. We haven't been there in a while. I wonder what animals are there now.”
Booker-T walked with Jake into Midge's yard. “Midge!” called Jake. “Where are you?”
“Midge!” called Booker-T. “Lets go inside through the doggie door and see Snappy while we are here.”
Jake and Booker-T ran around to the back of the house and met Midge coming through the door. “Hi you guys,” smiled Midge. “What are you doing?”
“We came to see you,” said Jake. “We want to go to the little zoo holding place again and see who is there now.”
“Do you want to go?” asked Booker-T.

“Oh yes,” smiled Midge. “I love seeing the animals. Lets go!”
“I want to go say hi to Snappy first,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge. “Come on inside.”
The three squeezed through the door into the kitchen and went to the living room where Snappy was sitting on a log looking out the window.
“Hi Snappy,” called Jake.
“Hi you guys!” greeted Snappy. “What are you guys doing?”
“We are going to the little zoo to see the animals,” said Booker-T. “But we wanted to come and say hello to you first.”
“I'm happy you are here,” smiled Snappy. “I had so much fun when we went swimming in the pond the other day.”
“We did too,” said Midge. “We will have to do it again soon.”
“It is nice having the pond in the back yard now,” said Booker-T.
“Do you want to go see the zoo animals?” asked Jake. “I can put you in the wagon and pull you to the zoo.”
“Oh no,” said Snappy. “Thanks for asking me but I will stay here. All those other animals are a lot bigger than I am.”
“But you won't be in the cages with them,” laughed Midge.
“True,” said Snappy. “That's okay. You all go and have fun. I will see you when you come home.”
The three said good-bye and headed out the door to go to the zoo.
They got to the zoo and stood a moment staring at the building. Then walked across the street and enter the big gate to the facility.
“Oh look Jake,” said Midge. “What is that animal?”
“He does look different,” said Jake staring at the animal in the back corner.
“Lets go see what it is,” said Booker-T.
The three walked to the corner cage to read the sign hanging on the outside of the cage.
“What is an Armadillo?” asked Midge.
“He isn't very big,” said Booker-T.
“The sign said he comes from Texas,” said Jake. “Wow they have funny animals in Texas.”
“Where is Texas?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I never heard of it.”
“I think there are a lot of places we never heard of,” said Booker-T.
“I guess you are right,” agreed Midge. “We don't go anywhere.”
“Hi,” said the little armadillo as he walked to the front of the cage. “Who are you?”
“Hi,” said Midge. “My name is Midge and this is Jake and Booker-T. What is your name?”
“I'm Andy,” said the little armadillo. “What kind of animals are you?”
“I'm a dog,” said Jake. “Midge is a different kind of dog and Booker-T is a cat.”
“Why aren't you in a cage too?” asked Andy.
“We are house pets,” Midge.
“What are house pets?” asked Andy. “Can I be a house pet?”
“A house pet lives in a house with humans,” said Jake. “I don't know if armadillos can be house pets or not.”
“When did you come here to this little zoo?” asked Booker-T.
“I think it was two days ago,” said Andy. “Can I come out there and play with you?”
“I can't open the gate,” said Jake. “I think you have to stay in there. We can talk to you from here.”
“Did you see the other animals here?” asked Andy. “Over there is Penny. She says she is a penguin. And then we have Bart the camel and Ally the alligator and over there is Porky the porcupine.”
“Wow,” said Midge. “Hi everyone.”
“Every one!” said Andy. “This is Midge, Jake and Booker-T. Say hi to them.”
“Hi guys,” said Penny. “What are you doing out of your cages?”
“We don't live in a cage,” said Midge.
“Where do you live?” asked Bart.
“We live in a house with our owners,” said Jake.
“What is an owner?' asked Ally.
“It is someone who takes care of us every day,” said Midge.
“Our owners give us food to eat every day,” said Booker-T.
“Someone feeds us every day too,” said Porky. “Maybe they own us too.”
“I think your owners are different than our owners,” said Midge.
“Why?” asked Andy.
“Your owner has lot of animals,” said Jake. “My owner only takes care of me and Midge's owner takes care of her and one other pet. Booker-T's owner only takes care of him.”
“Can I come to visit you at your house?” asked Andy.
“I don't think your owner will let you come,” said Jake.
“Why?” asked Andy. “I want to come to your house.”
“Maybe some day you can come,” said Midge.
“I would like that,” said Andy. “Maybe tomorrow I can come.”
“I think you are leaving in the morning to go to the big zoo on the other side of our town,” said Jake.
“Maybe I can run away,” said Andy.
“That might not be a good idea,” said Midge. “You might get lost and hurt out there by yourself.”
“Will you come see me at the big zoo?” asked Andy.
“We will try,” said Jake. “We have to ride the train so will have to hide on the train so they don't see us.”
“You will try?” asked Andy.

“We will try,” said Midge.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T