Friday, September 22, 2017

Midge and the Funny Songs

 “I'm walking to New Orleans,” sang Midge as she walked through the gate onto the sidewalk in front of the house.
Booker-T walked to his front gate and met Midge as she came to the front of his house. “Why are you going to New Orleans?” asked Booker-T. “I think it is a long way from here.”
“I'm not going to New Orleans,” said Midge.
“You just said you were going to New Orleans, didn't you?” asked Booker-T.
“When?” asked Midge.
“I just heard you say you were going,” said Booker-T. “I don't want you to go.”
“I was singing a song,” said Midge.
“About walking to New Orleans?” asked Booker-T.

“Yes,” said Midge. “I heard it on the radio this morning.”
“Why are they singing about walking to New Orleans?” asked Booker-T. “I think that is dumb. What is the rest of the song?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “I only remember, I'm walking to New Orleans.”
“That's not too much,” said Booker-T. “Do you know any other songs?”
“Not too many,” said Midge. “I hear them and then in a little while, I forget them.”
“Lets go to Jake's,” said Booker-T.
The two of them slowly walked along the sidewalk. As they neared Jake's house, Midge began to sing. “I've got a brand new pair of roller skates and you've got a brand new key.”
“I don't have a key,” said Booker-T. “What does the key go to?”
“The key is for the roller skates,” said Midge.
“That is funny kind of roller skates,” said Booker-T. “I never saw skates that have a key.”
“The song says the skates have a key,” said Midge.
“Do they use the key to lock them up?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “I never saw skates with a key either.”
“What is the rest of the song?” asked Booker-T.
“I think we should get together and try it out to see,” said Midge.
“So one guy has the skates and another guy has the key,” said Booker-T,
“It sounds like it,” agreed Midge.
“Why do the person with the skates have his own key?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge as she entered the yard at Jake's house. “And I don't know what the key is for.”
“Hi Midge,” said Booker-T. “What key are you talking about?”
“She was singing a song about Roller skates,” said Booker-T.
“There is a song about roller skates?” asked Jake.
“Sing it Midge,” said Booker-T.
“I have a brand new pair of roller skates,” sang Midge. “And you have a brand new key. I think we should get together and try them out to see.”
“What is the key for?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Midge.
“That's a funny song,” said Jake. “I didn't know that roller skates have keys. Maybe who ever has the roller skates are going to use the key to lock them up in a locker.”
“Maybe,” said Midge.
“Do you know any more funny songs?” asked Booker-T.
“My owner is always listening to funny songs,” said Midge. “Let me think a minute.”
Midge sat down and started to think. She looked around and blinked her eyes as she tried to think of another one she heard on the radio. “I have a good one,” said Midge.
“What is it?” asked Booker-T.
“Sing it Midge,” said Jake.
“Please Mr. Custer,” sang Midge. “I don't want to go.”
“Where is he going?” asked Jake.
“Hey Mr. Custer, please don't make me go,” sang Midge.
“Who is Mr. Custer?” asked Booker-T.
“I think he is the boss,” said Midge.
“Why don't the guy want to go?” asked Jake. “What else does he say?”
“I had a dream last night,” said Midge as she continued to sing. “About to come in and fight.”
“Who are you fighting?” asked Jake. “Keep singing. I want to know where he is going.”
“Someone yelled attack and now I stood with an arrow in my back,” sang Midge.
“Oh,” said Booker-T. “Someone shot him in the back with an arrow. How awful.”
“Did he die?” asked Jake.
“I don't think so,” said Midge. “I think he keeps telling his boss he isn't going.”
“I guess he got fired for not going?” said Jake. “Wow, such a crazy song.”
“I think your owner listens to some funny songs, Midge.” said Booker-T.
“They are funny,” agreed Jake. “Do you know anymore?”
“Let me see,” said Midge. “She played a lot of them last night.”
“I want to hear them,” said Jake climbing into the swing waiting for Midge to sing another one.
“Let me tell you about Ahab the Arab,” sang Midge.
“Okay good,” said Booker-T interrupting Midge's song. “Tell me who Ahab is.”
“Hush and let me sing and the song will tell you, I think,” said Midge.
“Sing Midge,” said Jake. “I want to know who Ahab is too.”
“let me see,” said Midge as she tried to remember the song she heard. “Let me tell you about Ahab the Arab, The shiek of the burning sands.”
“The sand was on fire?” asked Jake. “Wow, it must really be hot.”
“Keep singing Midge,” said Booker-T. “This is fun.”
“He had rubies and diamonds dripping off of him,” sang Midge. “And rings on all his fingers.”
“Oh wow,” said Jake. “Ahab is a rich guy.”
“Yes and he has a camel named Clyde,” said Midge.
“We met a camel at the zoo one time,” said Jake. “But I think his name was Steve.”
“Did Ahab ride the camel?” asked Booker-T.
“He rode him all the time,” said Midge. “That's all I know of that song.”
“Does your owner play these funny songs all the time?” asked Jake.
“Oh no,” said Midge. “She plays some other kind too. She just can't sing. Sometimes she sings with the songs but oh she is bad. I love my owner, but she sounds like a howling cat sitting on a back fence.”
“Oh Midge,” said Jake. “I'm glad my owner don't sing. She likes to listen to music sometimes but she don't sing to them. But I like your funny songs.”
“Me too,” said Booker-T.
“Lets go to the park and play,” said Midge.
“Okay,” agreed Booker-T and Jake.
The three started walking along the sidewalk on their way to the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T