Friday, September 8, 2017

What is That Animal

“Hey Jake!” called Midge as she and Booker-T entered the gate at Jake's house.
“Hi Midge,” said Jake. “Hi Booker-T.”
“Lets go to the zoo today,” said Midge. “I want to see what animals are there today. It's been two weeks since we were there.”
“Okay,” said Jake.
The three hurried out the gate and along the sidewalk to the little zoo building. They crossed the street and entered the building. They stood looking around the room.
“Wow, Jake,” said Midge. “There are only three animals here today. What is that funny looking animal in the back corner?”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Lets go see.”

“He's not very big,” said Midge.
They walked to the cage and checked the sign on the outside of the bars.
“He's a tasmanian devil,” said Jake.
“He's a devil?” said Midge. “Oh my. Isn't the devil bad? I thought humans couldn't see the devil.”
“This isn't that devil,” said Jake.
“Why do they call him the devil?” asked Booker-T.
“It says here that he lived on the island of Tasmania,” read Jake.
“Where is Tasmania?” asked Midge.
“It is far away,” said the little devil. “Who are you?”
“Hi Mr. Devil,” said Midge. “I'm Midge and this is Jake and this is Booker-T.”
“Why do they call you the Tasmanian devil?” asked Jake.
“Because I scream really loud,” said the Devil.
“Why do you scream so loud?” asked Midge.
“Want to hear me?” asked the Devil.
“Okay,” said Booker-T.
The Tasmanian Devil let out with a very loud scream that hurt their ears.
“Ouch!” said Jake. “Stop!”
“Okay,” said the Devil.
“What is your name?” asked Midge.
“My name is Tassie” said the devil. “What is your names and what are you?”
“My name is Midge,” said Midge. “I'm a cocker spaniel dog.”
“My name is Jake,” said Jake. “They call me a boxer dog.”
“You look different than Midge,” said Tassie. “We devils are all the same.”
“We cocker spaniels are the same except our colors maybe,” said Midge.
“I'm Booker-T, said Booker-T. “I'm not a dog. I'm a cat.”
“You all are friends?” asked Tassie.
“Yes,” said Midge. “We are friends with everyone.”
“Aren't you afraid of me?” asked Tassie.
“No,” said Jake. “Maybe we would be afraid if you were not in the cage.”
“I might attack you if I was out there,” said Tassie.
“Why?” asked Midge. “Don't you like us?”
“I don't have any friends,” said Tassie. “I fight with everyone. Even my own kind.”
“Why?” asked Booker-T. “Are all the Tasmanian devils mean like you?”
“Yes,” said Tassie.
“Don't you get lonesome with no friends?” asked Jake.
“I don't need anyone,” snapped Tassie. “I like being alone. All the food I find is mine and I don't have to share it.”
“I like having friends,” said Midge. “We all have fun together and we share things with each other.”
“It's no fun being mean to everyone,” said Jake. “Midge has taught us that we all can be friends no matter who we are.”
“Why?” asked Tassie. “I would like to have you for dinner.”
“That's nice,” said Booker-T. “What do you eat for dinner?”
“You,” laughed Tassie. “I would eat you for dinner.”
“I wouldn't taste good,” said Booker-T. “I think you are mean.”
“I like being mean,” said Tassie. “I don't want any friends. I don't want to share my food with anyone.”
“I never met a tasmanian devil before and I don't think we can be friends,” said Jake.
“I never met a dog or cat before either,” said Tassie.
“Since we can't be friends, we are going to visit the other animals here,” said Midge. “We will leave you alone now.”
The three walked away from the devil's cage and went to another cage where they found a little Meercat sitting alone in a cage.
“Hi,” said Midge. “What's your name?”
“Hi,” said the little meercat. “I'm Mikey.”
“Do you know Dave?” asked Midge.
“Who is Dave?” asked Mikey.
“Dave is a meercat we met a long time ago,” said Jake. “He was going to a big zoo with his family and we met him when he got off the truck he was riding in.”
“I don't know Dave,” said Mikey. “Maybe I will meet him at the zoo I am going to.”
“Dave is really nice,” said Booker-T. “You will like him.”
“When are you going to the big zoo?” asked Midge.
“I think they are taking me tomorrow,” said Mikey. “I hope that mean devil isn't going to the same zoo. I'm scared of him.”
“Why?” asked Jake. “He is in a cage so he can't get to you. You will be safe.”
“Why does he scream so loud?” asked Mikey. “He scares me when he screams like that.”
“I don't know why he does that,” said Jake. “We tried to be friends with him but he doesn't want to be friends with anyone.”
“That is so sad,” said Mikey. “It is good to have friends who are there to help you when you need it.”
“You are right,” said Midge. “We like having friends.”
“Will you be my friend?” asked Mikey. “And come to see me at the big zoo?”
“We can be your friend,” said Jake. “But we can't come see you at the big zoo. It is a long way from here and we don't have a way to get there.”
“Okay,” said Mikey. “What are your names?”
“I'm Midge and my friends here are Jake and Booker-T,” said Midge.
“Hi,” said Mikey. “I'm glad we can be friends even if it is for a short time. Do you think they might leave that devil here when we go to the other zoo? He scares me.”
“I think he has to go too,” said Jake. “Try to ignore him and maybe he will leave you alone.”
“I hope so,” said Mikey. “It is lonely in here. It will be nice to have some friends again.”
“You will like the big zoo,” said Midge. “It is really nice over there.”
“We have to go home now,” said Jake. “We hope you have safe trip to the big zoo tomorrow and you will have lot of friends there.”
“Bye,” said Mikey. “Maybe one day we can meet again.”
“We'd like that,” said Jake.
The three friends turned and walked to the front door of the zoo building.


1 comment:

  1. good lesson that you can't be friends with everyone no matter how much you would like to.
    loved it

    ReplyDelete

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T