Thursday, September 14, 2017

Midge Goes to the Fair

“Hi Midge,” said Jake as he entered the gate at Midge's house. “Hi Booker-T.”
“Hey Jake,” smiled Midge. “What are you doing?”
“Did you know the fair opens here today?” asked Jake.
“Oh yes,” said Midge. “I remember my owner talking about it. She likes going to the fair. I want to go see what is there.”
“I don't think they let animals in the fair,” said Jake.
“There are all kinds of animals at the fair,” said Booker-T. “I saw them on the news. They even have dogs there.”
“I think the dogs that are at the fair are the ones doing tricks,” said Jake.
“I can do tricks too,” said Midge as she started dancing around the yard. “See me, don't you think I'm good.”

“I think you are nutty,” laughed Booker-T.
“But it's fun,” said Midge. “I want to go. Lets go the fair Jake.”
“Might as well say yes, Jake,” said Booker-T. “You know you will give in to her anyway.”
“Okay Midge,” said Jake. “Lets walk over to the fair grounds and see if we can get inside.”
The three walked along the sidewalk to the fairgrounds near the school. Many cars were already parked in the parking lot and people were hurrying inside the gate. They walked close to the gate and sat down to watch the people entering.
“Lets walk around the fence and see if there is an opening we can squeeze through,” said Midge. “Come on.”
The three started to slowly walk around the fence checking every inch as they walked. Near the back, they found a small hole under the fence. Jake started digging it deeper and the three crawled under the fence. When they got inside and stood up, they found themselves in the area where dogs were performing.
“Oh, look Midge,” said Jake. “Those dogs are running and jumping for the people. Do you think you can do that?”
“Sure,” smiled Midge. “I love running and jumping. Watch me go.”
“No,” said Booker-T.
But it was too late, Midge ran to the center of the ring. A large German Shepherd was running and jumping over some hurdles and Midge got behind him and followed him through the course.
“Hey!” said the shepherd as he ran around the ring. “Who are you?”
“I'm Midge,” smiled Midge. “I hope you don't mind me running with you. I can run good too.”
“I'm doing a show here for the people,” said the shepherd. “And my owner didn't say anything about sharing the ring with you.”
“She don't know,” said Midge. “I saw you running and jumping and ran in to join you.”
When the dogs got to the end of the run, people were clapping and cheering.
“I think they liked us,” said Midge. “That was fun.”
“Who is your friend Max,” said the young lady who walked to where the dogs were sitting. “Well, well, little one. How did you get in here? Max never performed with a companion.”
Midge sat and stared at the young lady as she listened to her talk. “I wish humans could understand what we had to say,” thought Midge.
“I don't think you are suppose to be in here,” said the young lady. “Lets go and I'll walk you to the gate.”
“I think you have to go now,” said Max. “I will have to do the next show myself.”
“I have to go now,” said Midge. “I don't want to go to the gate. Jake! Booker-T! Lets go!”
Midge ran across the ring to where Jake and Booker-T were sitting. The three ran from the area and started walking around the fairgrounds to see what they could find.
“Look over there guys,” said Booker-T. “Those guys are playing with balls throwing them in the air.”
“They are juggling,” said Jake.
“They are good,” said Midge. “I'm hungry Jake. All this food smells good.”
“How are we going to get food here?” asked Booker-T. “We don't have money to buy anything.”
“We can go home and eat,” suggested Jake.
“I don't want to go yet,” said Midge. “This is fun.”
“Do you want to dance for something to eat?” asked Jake.
“I can do it,” smiled Midge.
“See that man over there,” said Booker-T. “He is eating something. Maybe we can dance for him and he will feed us.”
“Lets go,” said Jake.
The three walked to where the man sat at the picnic table eating. They sat down and stared at him a few minutes. “We better hurry and dance,” said Jake. “Or he is going to finish and walk away.”
Midge stood up on two hind legs and began to dance around near the picnic table. In a couple minutes, Jake joined her and then Booker-T started dancing. They jumped up and spun around and around while keeping their eyes on the man. Then they sat down near him and looked at him and then at his plate. He tossed a piece of hamburger meat to each one. “That was nice,” said the man as he picked up his plate and walked away.
“Well,” said Jake. “That didn't work out too good.”
“Here comes another person with a plate of food,” said Midge.
“He's going to sit at that table,” said Booker-T. “Lets walk over there and dance for him too. I'm hungry.”
They walked to the other picnic table and started dancing around in front of him. The young man laughed and clapped as he watched them dancing.
“Wow,” said the young man. “You guys are good.”
“Hey Mark,” said a young lady who joined the man at the table.
“Hi Susan,” smiled the man. “Did you see the dogs and that cat dancing? Aren't they cute.”
“Are they performing at the fair all the time?” asked Susan.
“I don't know,” said Mark.
The three animals jumped up and started dancing again. Around and around they went and then sat down with front feet up in a begging position. “Give them something to eat Mark,” said Susan.
“Isn't that cute,” said Mark. “They are begging for food.”
“Here little ones,” said Susan as she set the plate on the ground in front of them. “Dump the rest of yours in the plate, Mark.”
Mark set his plate down beside the other plate. “Come on, Lets go check out the old cars in the other building.”
Susan patted each of the dogs on the head and the cat and they walked away.
“Lets go home now,” said Jake. “I'm tired.”

The three walked home for a nap. “That was fun Jake,” said Midge.  

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T