Thursday, December 28, 2017

A Picnic and Concert

The three friends walked along the sidewalk on their way to the park with their friend Gabby flying above them. As they crossed the street and entered the park, Booker-T said “Hey look over there. What are they doing?”
They stopped and looked at what Booker-T was pointing at.
“Lets go see,” said Midge.
“Looks like they are putting up tents for something,” said Jake.
“Why?” asked Booker-T as they started walking to the area.
When they neared where the men were setting up the tents, Jake saw a large sign near a tree facing the road.
“What does it say, Jake?” asked Booker-T.

“It says there is going to be a big picnic and outside concert here,” said Jake.
“A concert?” asked Midge. “What is a concert? I know what a picnic is. Lot of food, but I never heard of a concert.”
“A concert is where someone is putting on a show.” said Gabby. “It is usually someone singing.”
“I can sing,” said Midge. “Maybe I can join their concert.”
“You howl,” laughed Jake. “I don't think they would like you joining their concert and howling.”
“I don't howl,” signed Midge. “I sing good. Don't I Booker-T?”
“I think humans call it howling,” laughed Booker-T.
“When is this concert going to be?” asked Midge.
“The sign says this weekend,” said Jake. “Will be Saturday and Sunday.”
“We should come and see it,” said Midge. “And get something to eat.”
“You aren't going to sing,” said Jake.
“Oh no,” said Midge shaking her head. “I just want to come see and eat some food.”
“How are we going to get some of the food?” asked Booker-T.
“It's a picnic, said Midge. “So maybe no one will be buying food. Maybe they will be bringing food from home.”
“But how can we get some of the food?” asked Jake.
“We sit near someone and look hungry,” said Midge. “Then we tilt our head from side to side while we look hungry and they will toss us a little something to eat.”
“Do you have it all figured out?” asked Jake.
“Oh sure,” said Midge. “It always works with my owner. She sees me sitting there when she is eating and looking hungry and she puts some down for me to eat.”
“You do that to your owner?” asked Booker-T.
“Yes,” said Midge. “It works all the time. She always has something that smell so good and I always want a taste.”
“We can try,” said Jake. “Maybe they will feel sad for us and give us something.”
“Do you think our owners will be there?” asked Booker-T. “They might not like us coming here.”
“Maybe,” said Midge. “I don't know. My owner likes Picnics. She goes with her sister sometimes to the lake for picnics. But I think she is working Saturday til evening. I heard her tell her sister on the phone.”
“Mine is working too,” said Jake. “what about you Booker-T?”
“I never heard her say anything about the picnic so I don't know,” said Booker-T.
“Picnics are so much fun, Booker-T,” said Jake. “People eat a lot of food and they play ball and laugh and have fun.”
“Maybe will be fun,” agreed Booker-T.
“We will come Saturday,” said Jake. “My owner has to work all day and we will be careful if we see your owner coming, Booker-T.”
“Come to my house in the morning Booker-T and we will walk to Jake's house,” said Midge.
“Sure,” smiled Booker-T. “I will come early so I can say hi to Snappy.”
“What is potluck?” asked Jake. “Have you ever heard of it Midge?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Where did you see that?”
“On this sign,” said Jake. “Where is Gabby?”
“Gabby,” called Midge. “Where are you?”
Gabby swooped down from the tree and landed next to Midge.
“Have you ever heard of potluck Gabby?” asked Jake.
“Sure,” said Gabby. “I heard of it.”
“What is it?” asked Midge.
“It means good luck on the food,” laughed Gabby.
“Good luck?” asked Midge. “What is good luck food? Is it like potluck?”
“People bring food and you don't know what it is they are bringing,” said Gabby. “It is a surprise to everyone and you share the food with others.”
“Is it potluck our owners give us to eat?” asked Booker-T. “I never know what she is giving me until she sets the bowl on the floor.”
“Maybe that is pot luck,” smiled Midge.
“Hey guys,” said Jake. “I almost forgot. What did you get for Christmas?”
“I got a pretty red sweater to wear when it is cold,” said Midge. “And some chew bones. What did you get Jake and Booker-T.”
“I got a new collar and some balls to play with and two big chew bones,” said Jake.
“I got some catnip in a ball with holes in it,” said Booker-T. “When I roll it, it jingles. I got some fish tasting snack treats.”
“It was a really nice Christmas this year,” said Jake.

Merry Christmas to you all!

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T