Thursday, December 14, 2017

Midge and Her Buzzing Ear

 Midge crawled outside through the doggie door and walked to the front of the house. She was sitting on the porch when something was buzzing her ear.
“Buzzz buzzz,” she heard in her ear. She shook her head and the buzzing stopped for a minute or two. Then the buzzing started again. She shook her head again and danced around the yard trying to get the buzzing to stop.
Booker-T entered the gate to the yard and stood a moment staring at Midge dancing around like a nut. “Hey Midge!” said Booker-T. “Are you all right?”
“Booker-T,” said Midge. “I keep hearing this buzzing in my ear and I can't make it stop.”
“Is it still doing it?” asked Booker-T looking a bit puzzled.

“Sometimes,” said Midge. “When the buzzing starts, I shake my head and it stops for a little while.”
“Do you have a headache too?” asked Booker-T.
“Are you sick Midge?” asked Jake as he walked up behind Booker-T.
“I don't feel sick,” said Midge.
“What is wrong?” asked Jake.
“She keeps hearing a buzzing sound in her ear,” said Booker-T.
“I hear my owner telling her friends sometimes,” said Jake. “That she gets buzzing in her ears. Or maybe it was ringing she hears.”
“Why would your ears ring?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I never hear it when she says it is.”
“Is the buzzing still happening Midge?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't hear it right now,” said Midge.
“That's good,” said Jake. “Did you want to go to the park and play or over to the school.”
“What is going on there today?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “We can go see.”
“Jake,” said Midge. “There goes the buzzing again. Can you hear it?”
“No,” said Jake. “Do you want me to look in your ear?”
“Please do,” said Midge.
“I will hold up her ear Booker-T and you look inside,” said Jake.
“Okay,” agreed Booker-T.
Jake carefully grabbed Midge's ear and lifted it so Booker-T could see inside.
“Do you see anything in there Booker-T?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Booker-T. “It is dark in there.”
“I hear the buzzing now,” said Midge. “Can you hear it?”
Booker-T put his ear near her ear and listened. He rolled his eyes a moment and he said “I hear it. I hear it. Wow Midge, I can hear your buzzing.”
“Wonder what it is,” said Jake. “Hold her ear Booker-T and let me look.”
“Okay,” said Booker-T. “Do you see anything?”
“No,” said Jake as he moved his ear close to her ear. “I don't hear any buzzing either.”
“I don't hear it either,” said Midge. “Maybe it is gone now.”
“I wonder what the buzzing was,” said Booker-T.
Sitting on the porch rail was a tiny bee. Booker-T noticed it moving. He got close the bee to check it out.
“Hi,” said the little bee. “Thank you for letting me out.”
“Where were you?” asked Booker-T.
“I got stuck in that white and black dog's ear,” said the bee. “When you lifted her ear I was able to come out.”
“How did you get in there?” asked Midge putting her nose close to the little bee.
“I don't remember,” said the little bee. “It was night time.”
“Were you in my house?” asked Midge.
“Maybe I was,” said the little bee. “I don't how I got there either.”
“What is your name?” asked Midge. “My mom calls me Buzzie because she said I am always buzzing around.”
“You have to be careful where you are buzzing around,” said Jake.
“I know,” said Buzzie. “I was dark in there and I couldn't find my way out of the hole.”
“I heard you buzzing but I didn't know what it was,” said Midge.
“You made me dizzy too,” said Buzzie.
“How did you get dizzy?” asked Booker-T.
“She kept moving and I kept bouncing around inside there,” said Buzzie. “So I got dizzy. I'm so happy to be out here in the sunlight.”
“I'm happy you are out too,” laughed Midge. “I thought my head was having a problem.”
“Well, it sort of was,” laughed Jake.
“Do you think your owner has a telephone in her ear?” asked Booker-T.
“Why would she have a phone in her ear?” asked Jake.
“You said she hears ringing in it sometimes,” said Booker-T. “I thought maybe she had a phone in it.”
“A phone is too big for her ear,” laughed Midge. “Maybe it is a small alarm ringing?”
“I don't know what it is,” said Jake. “I only heard her say she had ringing in her ear but I never hear if she found out why.”
“Does your owner have ringing in her ear too, Midge?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't think so,” said Midge. “She never said anything to anyone, I think. Does your owner have a ringing problem too, Booker-T?”
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Her phone is always ringing.”
“Maybe your owner is hearing things, Jake,” said Midge.
“Maybe,” agreed Jake.
“Thanks for letting me out of your ear,” said Buzzie. “I have to go find my mom now.”
“Be careful where you fly now,” laughed Jake. “No more dark holes.”
“I will be careful,” said Buzzie. “Can I come back to see you some time?”
“Sure,” smiled Midge. “I'm Midge and this is Jake and Booker-T. You are welcome to come any time you want.”
“I promise not to fly into your ear again,” laughed Buzzie. “Good bye.”
“Thanks Buzzie,” smiled Midge. “but you are welcome to come sit on top of my head if you want.”
“Okay,” grinned Buzzie as he flew off into the air.
“Well,” said Jake. “Do you want to go check out the school and the park to see if there is anything going on today.”
“Sure,” said Midge. “I need a nice walk.”

The three left the yard through the gate and started walking along the sidewalk to the school.   

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T