Thursday, February 15, 2018

Who is Jason


Jake sauntered along the sidewalk on his way to Midge's house singing, “Zipidity do da, Zipidity yay,”
When he got to the gate at Booker-T's house he saw Booker-T walking around the house.
“Hey, Booker-T,” called Jake.
“Hi Jake,” said Booker-T. “What are you doing?”
“I'm on the way to Midge's house,” said Jake. “Do you want to go to the little zoo and see what animals are there today?”
“Sure,” smiled Booker-T. “Maybe they have a pretty tiger. You know I like the tiger's color.”
“I know Booker-T,” smiled Jake. “ Because they are the same color as you are.”
“Orange is pretty, don't you think?” said Booker-T.

“Orange is good for you,” said Jake. “I don't think it is a good color for me. I have never seen an orange dog.”
“I guess an orange dog would look funny,” laughed Booker-T. “Do you ever wish you were a different color?”
“I never thought about it,” said Jake. “I have always been brown with some white on me.”
“You like brown?” asked Booker-T.
“I like it fine,” said Jake. “I like your color orange and I like Midge's color white with black spots. I think we all have good colors for ourselves.”
“I guess you are right,” said Booker-T.
The two entered the yard through the gate at Midge's house and looked around, but they didn't see her anywhere.
“Do you think she is still sleeping?” asked Booker-T.
“Maybe,” said Jake. “Lets go inside and see where she is.”
They crawled into the house through the doggie door and glanced around the kitchen and hurried across the floor to the living room where Booker-T ran and leaped into the chair next to Snappy's tank.
“Hi Booker-T and Jake,” said Snappy. “I think Midge is still sleeping in the other room. I haven't seen her this morning.”
Hi Snappy,” greeted Jake as he poked his nose against the tank. “What are you doing?”
“I was sitting here looking out the window at the snow falling,” said Snappy.
“It really looks pretty don't it,” said Jake.
“I like it,” said Snappy. “But it is too cold for me. I'm happy in here where it is warm.”
“We will see you later,” said Jake as he started toward the bedroom. “We are going to find Midge.”
Jake and Booker-T entered the bedroom and they found Midge laying on the bed sleeping. They stood and watched her for a few minutes. She was laying on one side and then rolled to the other side. Back and forth she went and was groaning.
“Do you think she is having pain?” whispered Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake in a low voice. “Maybe she is just dreaming.”
“Wonder if it s a good dream,” said Booker-T. “With all the rolling back and forth, maybe it is a nightmare.”
“Hard to tell,” said Jake. “Midge! Wake up Midge.”
Midge rolled over with no reply.
“Midge,” called Booker-T. “Earth to Midge wherever you are. It is time to wake up. Jake and I are here.”
Midge rolled over and slightly opened her eyes. “Jason is that you?”
“Midge,” said Jake. “Who is Jason? It's just Booker-T and I here.”
“Jason,” said Midge. “I'm glad you came. I will go to New York with you.”
“Jake,” whispered Booker-T. “Who is Jason and why is she going to New York with him?”
“I think she is still dreaming,” suggested Jake.
“But why is she going to New York with this Jason?” asked Booker-T again.
“I don't think she is,” said Jake. “We need to wake her up.”
“Midge,” called Booker-T. “Midge, it's me and Jake. Wake up now.”
“Midge,” called Jake. “Wake up Midge. Hello Midge.”
Midge rolled over and opened her eyes and glanced around the room.
“Hi Jake, Booker-T,” smiled Midge. “What you doing here?”
“We came to see you ,” said Jake. “What were you dreaming about?”
“And who is Jason?” asked Booker-T.
“Maybe I said Jake and it sounded like Jason,” said Midge. “I don't know any Jason.”
“No,” said Booker-T. “We heard you say Jason a couple of times.”
“What were you dreaming about?” asked Jake as he sat down on the floor near the bed.
“Let me think a minute,” said Midge glancing at the ceiling and then looked at her paws.
“Are you okay?” asked Jake.
“I have paws, don't I?” said Midge.
“That's because you are a dog,” laughed Booker-T. “We all have paws.”
“Did Jason have paws too?” asked Jake.
“Oh,” said Midge. “I was dreaming I was a human and Jason was my friend from New York.”
“You were human in your dream?” asked Booker-T. “How cool is that!”
“I walked on two feet,” said Midge. “and I had two hands and Jason and I held hands in the moonlight as we walked on the beach. We were really good friends.”
“Cool,” said Booker-T. “That was a cool dream.”
“It was cool,” smiled Midge. “But I woke up and I still have paws.”
“It's okay Midge,” said Jake. :We like you just as you are, with paws. You might not be our friend if you had hands and feet. You would have different friends, human friends.”
“Lets go to the zoo building,” suggested Booker-T. “Now that you have paws again.”
“Okay,” said Midge as she leaped off the bed and followed Jake and Booker-T out to the back yard.


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T