Friday, September 28, 2018

Gone Fishing


“Hey Booker-T!” called Midge as she got to the gate at his house. “Are you coming?”
“Hi Midge,” said Booker-T as he ran around the house from the back yard. “What are you
dragging behind you?”
“It's a fishing pole,” said Midge.
“Why do you have a fishing pole?” asked Booker-T. “You can't fish.”
“I can fish,” said Midge. “We will go to the pond at the park and I'll show you I can fish.”
“How are you going to catch a fish?” asked Booker-T.
“I watched the boys fishing the last time we were at the park,” said Midge. “Wouldn't you like a fish to eat?”
“I like fish, but I don't think you can catch one,” said Booker-T. “Dogs don't go fishing.”
“I'll be the first fishing dog,” smiled Midge. “They will put me on the news and I will be famous.”
“How will they know?” asked Booker-T.

“Oh,” said Midge. “I didn't think of that. Maybe someone will see me fishing and take pictures and they will tell the news about the famous fishing dog.”
“Were you dreaming last night?” asked Booker-T.
“I dreamed I went fishing and caught a really big fish for you,” said Midge. “And all these people gathered around and watched me fish. They were cheering me.”
“Where did you get the fishing pole?” asked Booker-T.
“It is my owner's pole,” said Midge.
“Won't she be angry because you took it?” asked Booker-T.
“She don't use it anymore,” said Midge. “I found it in the back of the closet.”
“Don't you have to put bait or something on the hook?” asked Booker-T. “How are you going to do that?”
“I'm just going to toss it in the water,” said Midge.
“And you think that will work?” asked Booker-T.
“Maybe,” smiled Midge. “My dreams say I'll catch a fish.”
They walked through the gate at Jake's house.
“Jake!” called Midge. “What are you doing?”
“I'm sleeping,” replied Jake.
“No you aren't,” laughed Midge. “You are talking to me.”
“I'm talking in my sleep,” said Jake.
“Funny Jake,” said Booker-T.
“Why are you dragging a fishing pole with you?” asked Jake as he jumped out of the porch swing.
“I'm going fishing,” replied Midge setting the pole on the ground.
“Ha ha ha,” laughed Jake as he sat down. “How are you going to fish? Dogs don't fish.”
“I know,” said Midge. “I'm going to be the first fishing dog.”
“Oh, this I have to see,” smiled Jake. “Lets go to the pond.”
Midge picked up her pole and they went through the gate and started walking along the sidewalk. Thump thump thump went the pole as it was dragged along the sidewalk. They looked both ways and hurried across the street into the park. Still dragging the pole behind, they ran to the pond.
“Where is your bait?” asked Jake.
“I don't need any,” assured Midge as she dropped the hook into the water. “The fish will grab the shiny hook and I'll get him.”
“But fishermen use bait when they fish,” said Booker-T.
“I don't have any bait,” sighed Midge. “I don't know where to get it.”
“Why don't you dig for worms,” said Jake. “I see the neighbor man digging all the time for worms.”
Midge laid the pole at the edge of the pond and the hook fell into the water. She started to dig close to the edge looking for worms.
“Hey Midge!” shouted Jake. “There goes your pole!”
“I caught a fish!” said Midge all excited as she watched the pole floating across the pond.
“I don't think so Midge,” laughed Booker-T. “I think the fish got your pole.”
“Oh,” said Midge. “Can you get the pole Jake?”
“Me get it,” said Jake. “It's your pole. I didn't want to go fishing.”
“But you are bigger than I am,” said Midge as she watched the pole floating out in the pond.
“It isn't moving anymore,” said Booker-T. “Maybe the fish got away.”
“You can swim Midge,” smiled Jake. “Go get your pole.”
Midge stood at the edge of the pond and stuck her foot into the water. “It's cold!”
“You can let the pole go away,” said Jake.
“Okay,” sighed Midge as she slowly walked into the pond and started to swim toward the pole.
She grabbed the pole and started to drag it back to the edge of the pond. She tugged and tugged and something was keeping the pole from moving.
“She must have a really big fish and it's fighting back,” said Jake.
“Wow,” said Booker-T. “Come on Midge pull hard.”
Midge tugged and tugged and finally got the pole moving again. She dragged it out of the water and Jake started laughing. “You caught a shoe,” laughed Jake.
“Must be a shoe fish,” laughed Booker-T.
Midge turned around and stared at the shoe laying on the ground with plants from the water stuck on the shoe and water dripping from inside. “Very funny you two.”
“Don't worry Midge,” said Jake. “I think humans have the same problem sometimes.”
Midge pulled hard and got the hook out of the shoe and tossed it back into the water. The three sat on the edge of the pond staring at the pole waiting for a fish.
“Are there fish in the pond?” asked Midge.
“I think so,” said Jake. “Boys have been fishing in it sometimes.”
“Did they catch anything?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Maybe they didn't.”
Suddenly the pole moved slightly. “Midge!” said Jake. “I think you got something.”
Midge grabbed the pole and pulled hard til she got the hook out of the water. “I got a fish!” smiled Midge. “I really got a fish.”
“It is really small,” said Jake.
“But it is a fish,” said Midge. “I got a fish. I'm a fishing dog.”
“That fish is as small as Snappy is,” said Booker-T.
“That's okay,” said Midge. “Maybe next time, I will get a bigger one.”
“Maybe the pond only has little fish,” suggested Jake. Maybe if you want a big fish we have to go to the river.”
“Lets go to the river,” said Midge.
“Can we go another time?” asked Jake. “I'm hungry. Lets go home.”
“Okay,” agreed Midge. Lets go.”
The three headed back to Jake's house with Midge dragging the pole behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T