Friday, September 28, 2018

Off to the Fair


“We're going to the fair, we're going to the fair,” sang Midge as she ran to Booker-T's house. “Hey there Booker-T. Are you ready to go?”
“I'm coming Midge,” said Booker-T as he ran around the house to the front yard gate. “You are really excited this morning.”
“We are going to the fair,” said Midge. “I've never been to a fair.”
“Do you think it will be fun?” asked Booker-T.
“There will be lot of things to do,” said Midge. “I hope we can find something to eat there.”
“What do you want to do there?” asked Booker-T.
“I want to ride on the carnival rides,” said Midge. “They are fun.”

“Can we sneak on them with out them stopping us?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Maybe if they are really busy, they won't notice us.”
They hurried through the gate into Jake's yard and found him sitting on the front porch waiting for them.
“Hi Jake,” greeted Midge. “Are you ready to go?”
“Is Gabby coming too?” asked Jake.
“I think so,” said Booker-T. “But you know, he shows up when you aren't looking.”
“Who shows up when you aren't looking?” asked Gabby as he swooped down from the tree limb above.
“We were talking about you,” said Jake. “Are you coming to the fair?”
“Sure,” said Gabby. “There will be food scraps all over the place I can eat.”
“I want some fair food,” said Booker-T. “What kind of food do they have at the fair?”
“I think they have hot dogs, cakes, french fries, candy, sodas, hamburgers, popcorn,” said Gabby. “And maybe a lot more.”
“Wow,” said Midge. “I hope we can get some.”
“The kids are always dropping stuff on the ground,” said Gabby. “I think you will find a lot of food.”
“We are going to the fair,” sang Midge. “We are going to the fair.”
“Do you have to sing?” laughed Jake.
“You don't think I can sing good?” asked Midge.
“Well,” said Jake. “Not so much, but it's okay. Go ahead and sing.”
“We are going to the fair and I'm going to ride the rides and eat lots of food,” sang Midge.
They hurried along the sidewalk going to the fair. When they got to the corner near the fair, they stood staring at all the rides, the people and smelling all the good food.
“It smells so good,” said Midge. “I'm hungry now.”
“Me too,” said Jake. “Lets go see what we can find.”
They looked both ways and crossed the street into the fair grounds.
“Wow, this is a cool place,” said Booker-T. I've never been to a fair before. We can come here and play all the time.”
“It only comes once a year,” said Gabby. “It will be here for two weeks and then will be back next year.”
“Why don't they leave it here all year long?” asked Midge. “Do they go to other places?”
“No,” said Gabby. “This fair only for our town, but it only comes here once a year. This is our first year to have the fair.”
“Have you ever been to a fair before?” asked Jake.
“I went to one in another town once, but it was a long time ago,” said Gabby.
“Hey look,” said Midge. “They have a merry-go-round. I want to ride it.”
“You can't stay on top of the horse,” laughed Jake. “Remember what happened the last time you tried to ride it?”
“I slid off and was hanging on to the strap with my teeth,” sighed Midge. “But look, this one has three seats I can ride on. No one is sitting in them.”
“Do you think they will let you stay on the ride?” asked Jake.
Come on lets go,” said Midge as she started running to the Merry-go-round.
She stood and watched it go round and round and the horses go up and down. “Don't you think the horses are pretty?” asked Midge.
“They are so colorful,” said Jake. “Where is the man running the ride?”
“I think he is on the other side,” said Booker-T. “Are you going to ride it?”
“Come on,” said Midge. “We can all sit in that one seat.”
They ran for the ride and leaped on and sat in the seat looking around to see if the man saw them. Kids started climbing on the horses and laughing. In a few minutes, the ride began to move. They sat in the seat hoping the man don't see them.
“Hey!” called the man as they passed him by.
“Do you think he saw us?” asked Midge.
“I think so,” said Jake. “But he isn't stopping the ride. Maybe he is going to let us ride.”
“I wish I could ride the pretty horses,” said Midge. “But the seats are so slippery.”
“This is fun,” said Booker-T. “We are going round and round and the horses go round and round and up and down.”
As the ride came to a stop, they hurried off and ran from the ride so the man couldn't get them.
“Lets find some food,” said Jake. “It is smelling so good.”
They roamed around the fair grounds and looked for some food.
“They have hamburgers over there,” said Midge. “I smell them.”
“But we can't get any,” said Jake.
“We can go over there and sit and stare at them,” said Midge. “Maybe they will feel sorry for us and give us something to eat.”
“I don't think so,” said Booker-T.
“We could dance for our food,” said Midge. “Like we did at the cafe.”
“Lets sit first and maybe they will see us,” said Jake.
They walked close to the little place and sat down in front of them while the man gave food to people, one by one. “Do you think he sees us?” asked Midge.
“I think so,” said Jake. “He keeps looking over here.”
“Maybe I need to give him my sad look,” said Midge.
“Do it,” said Booker-T. “I'm hungry.”
Midge sat tilting her head from side to side trying to make eye contact with the young man behind the counter. He kept waiting on the people one at a time.
“I don't think it is working, Jake,” said Midge. “Lets go try another one.”
“Lets go home and we can come back tomorrow with a plan,” said Jake.
“Okay,” said Midge.
The three waked back to Midge's house and went inside to visit with Snappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T