Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Plan


Jake hurried to Midge's house so they could go back to the fair. He poked his head through her doggie door and looked around the kitchen.. “Midge!” called Jake. “Where are you?”
“Hi Jake,” said Midge as she ran into the kitchen.
“Hey Midge,” said Jake. “You look nice with your bows in your ears.”
“Do you like my pink bows?” asked Midge.
“They are nice,” said Jake. “Why are you wearing your bows today? We are going to the fair, aren't we?'

“I have a surprise for you Jake,” said Midge all excited. “I'm going to be in the dog show.”
“How are you going to get into the dog show?” asked Jake.
“I'm going to walk right in there and proudly walk around the ring with those other dogs,” said Midge. “They won't know until it is too late and I'm already out there,”
“It didn't work too good when you tried it before,” said Jake. “How do you know it will work this time?”
“I have a plan,” said Midge prancing back and forth across the floor. “And I'm good.”
“I know you are,” said Jake. “Where's Booker-T?”
“Maybe sleeping,” laughed Midge. “You are here early this morning. Maybe you are excited to go to the fair.”
“It was fun yesterday,” said Jake. “The food smelled so good. Wish we could have gotten some of it. Maybe we can try today and get some.”
“We could dance for our food,” suggested Midge.
“You can dance,” said Jake. “I'm not too good dancing.”
“You can stand on your hind legs,” said Midge.
“I can do that,” said Jake. “I'm really good at begging.”
“I will dance and you beg,” suggested Midge. “We can find something for Booker-T to do.”
“The food people don't pay an attention to us,” said Jake.
“Maybe Booker-T has an idea,” smiled Midge.
“Hi you guys,” said Booker-T as he crawled through the doggie door into the kitchen. “What are you talking about?”
“About the fair,” said Jake. “Midge thought you might have an idea about getting food.”
“Midge is the one with all the ideas,” laughed Booker-T. “I like you pink bows, Midge.”
“Aren't I pretty,” said Midge.
“Why are you all dressed up in your pretty bows?” asked Booker-T.
“I'm going to be in the dog show,” said Midge.
“Did your owner enter you?” asked Booker-T.
“No,” said Midge. “I'm going to prance right in there with all the other dogs and they won't know it til I've walked around the ring a couple of times.”
“They will toss you out,” said Jake.
“Is that your plan?” asked Booker-T. “Just walk in and act like you are part of the show.”
“That's the plan,” said Midge. “We need a plan to get some food too. Any ideas Booker-T?”
“No,” said Booker-T. “You are the one with all the ideas. What do you want to do? You are all dressed up with your pink bows, you could dance in front of one of the booths and maybe they will feed us.”
“That's what Jake said too,” said Midge. “You and Jake need to help me out.”
“Oh we will be right there with you Midge,” smiled Jake.
“You will dance with me?” asked Midge.
“Oh no,” said Booker-T. “I can't dance. Have you ever seen a dancing cat?”
“You danced at the cafe when we danced for hot dogs,” said Midge. “They liked your dancing.”
“Jake,” said Booker-T. “What are we going to do?”
“I think we have to dance with her,” said Jake. “You know Midge. She will keep bugging us til we give in. We always do.”
“Are we ready to go?” asked Midge. “Come on lets go.”
They hurried along the sidewalk to the fair grounds. Stopped to check for cars and hurried across the road.
“There is the sign for the dog show,” said Jake. “Lets go over there and see what they are doing.”
“Look, there are all the dogs getting ready to go inside to the ring,” said Midge. I'm going to stand in line with them.”
“Are you sure?” asked Jake.
“I want to go in the ring,” said Midge. “I was born to be a model dog.”
“I guess there is no talking you out of it,” said Jake.
“No,” said Midge. “Here I go.”
“Good luck,” said Booker-T.
“We are going to sneak in and watch you,” said Jake.
Midge ran to the line of dogs and stood in line She stood there looking around acting like she belonged there. In a few minutes the line began to move and Midge slowly walked along with the others hoping they wouldn't notice. She got to the front ready to go through the door and held her breath. No one said anything and inside she went. She pranced out to the ring with the other dogs and held her head up high as she looked around at all the people.
“Look Jake,” said Booker-T. “Midge is walking around the ring.”
“She is such a show off,” laughed Jake.
“Good morning everyone,” said the voice on the loud speaker. “Welcome to the Barkley Fair dog show. We are about to get the show started, but I think we have a stray dog in the ring. I need to see the owner of the little black and white Cocker Spaniel with the pink bows. Can you please come to the Booth.”
“Oh oh,” said Jake. “I think Midge is in trouble.”
“Lets go to the door,” said Booker-T. “She might come out soon.”
“Sorry every one for the delay,” said the voice over the speaker. “We have a stray dog with pink bows in the center of the ring. Whoever owns this dog, please see me in the booth.”
Again the dogs and owners stood in the ring waiting for the owner of Midge. Midge looked around and no one was coming toward her... She stood up on her hind legs and started dancing around the ring and waving her front paws at the people. In a few minutes, everyone was clapping as Midge danced.
In a few minutes two men entered the ring.
“Run Midge!” shouted Jake from the door.
Midge ran between the legs of one of the men and was out the door before he could catch her.
“Come on,” said Booker-T. “Lets get out of here fast.”
“They loved me,” said Midge. “Did you hear the clap for me?'
“I did,” said Jake. “Just run.”
They got to the street and slowed down and turned and saw no one following. “Lets go home,” said Jake.
They left the fair grounds and walked to Jake's house. “We will go back tomorrow,” said Midge.
Jake and Booker-T just looked at each other and grinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T