Thursday, October 25, 2018

Forever Rain


Midge sat on her front porch watching the rain as it poured down from above. Booker-T ran into the yard and hurried to the porch where Midge sat.
“What are you doing?” asked Booker-T.
“Sitting here watching the rain falling,” sighed Midge. “What are you doing out in it?”
“Don't you like to go walking in the rain?” asked Booker-T.
“I do too,” said Midge. “I want the rain to go away. Where is the sun?”
“Rain rain,” said Booker-T. “Go away. Come again another day.”
“How cute,” smiled Midge.
“Little Midge wants to play,” sang Booker-T.
“Did you just make that up?” asked Midge.

“No,” smiled Booker-T. “I think it is something kids sing.”
“Do you want to walk over to see Jake?” asked Midge. “We will get wet, but we will dry.”
“Sure,” said Booker-T. “Lets go.”
They got off the porch and walked to the gate when they saw Jake come running up the street. “Where are you two going?” asked Jake.
“We were coming to see you,” laughed Midge. “Do you want to go walk in the rain?”
“Sure,” said Jake. “I like the rain.”
The three skipped along the sidewalk in the rain and stomped through all the puddles along the way.
“It's raining, it's pouring,” sang Booker-T. “The old man is snoring.”
“What old man?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “The song says that some old man is snoring. Guess he don't like the rain and just went to sleep.”
“I've heard my owner say that rainy days are good sleeping weather,” said Jake. “Come on, lets go play in the rain.”
They ran along the sidewalk, splashing in all the puddles along the way to Jake's house. The rain began coming down harder now and the three were soaked from the rain. They hurried on to the porch and shook off the water. “I'm really wet,” said Midge.
“Me too,” laughed Jake. “That was fun.”
Suddenly there was a crack of thunder and Midge jumped. “Oh, that was loud.”
“Very loud,” said Booker-T. “Sometimes the thunder is too loud. It scares me.”
“Me too,” said Midge. “But I don't think the thunder is dangerous. The lightning is dangerous
sometimes. I heard my owner say that someone from her work got hit by lightening.”
“Oh no,” sighed Jake. “Was he okay?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “We need to be careful when there is lightning.”
“I think I forgot what the sun looks like,” said Booker-T. “It has been raining for long time now.”
“It's that big bright yellow ball in the sky Booker-T,” laughed Jake.
“Ha ha.,” said Booker-T. “I know but it hasn't been in the sky for a long time now.”
“Oh,” said Midge. “I don't think the sun goes away. Right, Jake?”
“I think it is always in the sky,” said Jake. “The rain clouds cover it up.”
“I want the sun to come back,” said Booker-T. “I feel gloomy with no sun to play in.”
“This is forever raining raining and raining some more,” said Midge. “I think I am ready for the sun too. What can we do in the rain?”
“We can go to the park and run and jump in the pond,” said Jake. “We are already wet.”
“Okay,” said Midge. “Do you want to go Booker-T?”
“Sure,” smiled Booker-T.
“Hey you guys,” said Gabby as he flew down and landed on the railing. “What are you all talking about?”
“We were trying to think of something to do in all this rain,” said Midge. “I don't think it is ever going to stop raining. So much water.”
“Is it hard to fly in the rain Gabby?” asked Booker-T.
“Sometimes it is hard to fly,” said Gabby. “If it is a really bad rain storm, I find a nice place to stay inside. This has been many days of rain now. I am missing the sun.”
“Me too Gabby,” sighed Midge. “We were talking about going to the park and play in the pond.”
“But it is raining,” said Gabby. “You can just go run in the rain and splash in the puddles and get wet.”
“I know,” said Jake. “But I want to go swim in the pond. You can't swim in the puddles. You just get wet.”
“Do you want to come with us Gabby?” asked Booker-T.
“They have a nice little shelter place in the park,” said Gabby. “Maybe I will come along and hide in the shelter. I need to dry off the feathers. Too much water and will be hard for me to fly.”
“Okay,” said Jake. “Lets go.”
The three started walking along the sidewalk with Gabby flying above them. When they entered the park, Gabby found the shelter and flew under the roof of it. “You guys go play in the pond and I'm going to sit here and dry off.”
As they walked away from the shelter, Jake saw a glimpse of the sun. “Hey guys,” said Jake. “Look! I see a little sun peaking out of those clouds.”
“Doesn't it look so good?” asked Midge. “I sure miss it.”
“Me too,” smiled Booker-T. “It's so good to see you Mr. Sun. We are waiting for you.”
“Sun sun,” said Jake. “Send the rain away and come out and let us play.”
“I'll race you to the pond,” said Midge as she took off running.
“Hey!” said Booker-T. “That's not fair Midge. You took off running before we had a chance to start.”
“Come on guys,” called Midge.
They reached the pond and jumped in one at a time. “Oh,” said Jake. “This feels so good and the sun is warm.”
“I am so happy to see the sun,” smiled Booker-T. “I was really feeling soggy wet.”
“Me too,” said Midge. “I love the sunshine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T