Friday, November 23, 2018

The Rope


Midge, Jake and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk on their way to the little zoo building where the zoo animals are on their way to different zoos. Midge stopped and was staring at something she saw in the back yard of a house nearby.
“What are you looking at?” asked Jake as he tried to see too.
“What is that over there?” asked Midge.
“I don't know what you are looking at,” said Jake.
“What do you see Midge?” asked Booker-T.

“That thing over there with the long ropes at the top between the two big poles,” said Midge. “I never seen anything like that before.”
“That is a clothes line,” said Jake. “My owner used to have one before the storm blew it down.”
“Why is it called a clothes line?” asked Booker-T. “I don't see any clothes on it, do you Midge.”
“No,” said Midge.
“When humans wash clothes, they hang them on these lines in the sunshine to dry,” said Jake.
“Why?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “She sometimes used the dryer but she liked certain things in the sun.”
“My owner just throws her clothes into some kind of machine and turns it on and later she takes them out and they are all nice and dry.” smiled Midge. “I think that is easier maybe.”
“I think they call the machine a dryer,” said Jake.
“Remember when we used to go to the circus?' asked Booker-T.
“Yes,” said Midge. “But what does that have to do with a clothes line?'
“Nothing,” said Booker-T.  "I remember there was someone who was walking on a rope up above the ground.”
“Don't think they use a clothes line to walk on,” laughed Jake. “I think maybe they use a special kind of rope for walking on. Maybe it has some kind of sticky stuff that sticks their feet to the rope when they walk on it.”
“Maybe I can walk on the clothes line,” said Midge. “I'm not heavy and I think it can hold me.”
“You can't walk on the rope,” said Jake. “You can get hurt if you fall off.”
“I bet I can Jake,” said Midge.
“Don't try it,” said Booker-T. “Jake is right, you can get hurt.”
“What in the world is she doing now?” asked Gabby as he flew down and landed on top of the clothes line.
“I'm going to walk on the rope,” said Midge.
“What rope?” asked Gabby. “You can't walk on a rope unless it is laying flat on the ground.”
“Ha ha,” laughed Midge.
“That is what we are trying to tell her ,” said Jake.
“But you know Midge,” said Booker-T. “You can't tell her that she can't do it. She thinks she can do anything and will give it a try at least once.”
“I know it,,” said Gabby. “It's no use telling her she can't do it. Why do you want to walk on the rope? Are you dreaming again?”
“Oh no,” said Midge. “Remember at the circus when that woman was walking on a rope?” 
“She was trained to walk on the rope,” said Gabby. "You are not trained for that. I also think they have special ropes. They don't walk on clothes lines.”
“I can use that rope,” said Midge. “I bet I can do it and will be good and everyone will come to see the rope walking dog.”
“Oh Midge,” said Jake. “You are dreaming again.”
“I don't think a good tight rope walker can walk on this clothes line,” said Gabby.
“You just don't want me to walk on it,” said Midge.
“We don't want you to get hurt,” sighed Jake.
“It isn't safe Midge,” said Booker-T. “Lets just go to the zoo and see the animals.”
“Come on,” said Midge. “I'm going to try to walk on the rope.”
“Oh my,” said Jake as he followed behind her.
Midge stood at the bottom of the pole staring up at the ropes.
“How are you going to get up there?” asked Booker-T.
“Well, there must be a way up there,” said Midge looking around the yard.
“Why don't you just fly up here,” laughed Gabby.
“Oh very funny,” said Midge. “I tried that once but was too heavy for the feathers.”
“You just aren't made to fly,” said Jake. “Just like you are not made to walk on a rope.”
“Let me stand on your back, Jake,” said Midge.
“The rope is too high, Midge,” said Booker-T.
“Come on Jake,” said Midge. “Let me try.”
Jake knew that arguing with her would get him no where. He walked under the end of the rope near the tall pole. “Give her a push in the back end,” said Jake.
Booker-T walked behind Midge and helped push her onto Jake's back.
“Can you reach the rope?” asked Jake.
“I can touch the rope with my nose,” said Midge. “Maybe if you jumped up I could grab the rope.”
“When I jump up,” said Jake. “You try and grab the rope with your teeth.”
“Okay Jake,” agreed Midge. Jake counted to three and quickly leaped into the air and Midge grabbed the rope with her teeth. Jake came down to the ground and Midge was hanging on the rope with her teeth.
“Jake!” called Midge in a muffled voice. “Push me!”
Midge was hanging there and her little feet were waving back and forth while she held tight to the rope.
“Let go,” said Booker-T.
“Wait Midge,” said Gabby. “Jake will get under you and you can drop down on him.”
Jake got under Midge. “Okay Midge,” said Jake. “Let go and come down.”
“No,” said Midge. “Push me up.”
“No Midge,” said Booker-T. “Come down.”
Midge let go and both she and Jake fell over onto the ground.
“Are you okay Jake?” asked Midge.
“I'm fine,” said Jake. “Can we please go to see the animals. I think that is a safer thing to do.”
“And forget about walking on the rope,” said Booker-T. “You are not trained to do it.”
Midge reluctantly agreed and they all hurried along the sidewalk to the zoo building.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T