Friday, December 18, 2020

Christmas is Coming

 

Midge leaped into the chair beside Snappy's tank and poked her nose over the top of the tank.

"Hi there Snappy," smiled Midge.

"Hi Midge," said Snappy crawling up on the big log. "What are you doing this morning?"

"I don't know yet," said Midge. "Do you want to know what I really want to do?"

"Sure," smiled Snappy. "What do you want to do?"

"I want to go see Santa Claus," said Midge.

"Who is Santa Claus?" asked Snappy.

"He is a big fat man who wears a red suit and he brings presents to the human kids once a year," said Midge.

"Why do you want to see him?" asked Snappy.

"I want to tell him what I want for Christmas," said Midge.

"But if Santa Claus is human," said Snappy. "He will never understand what you say."

"I know," sighed Midge. "That makes me sad. Another human thing I can't do."

"Do they have an animal Santa?" asked Snappy.

"I don't know," said Midge. "I wonder if Jake knows."

"Jake knows what?" asked Booker-T as he entered the room. "What are you talking about?"

"Does Jake know if there is an animal Santa?" asked Midge. "I want to tell Santa what I want for Christmas."

"I don't know," said Booker-T. "Doesn't he bring toys to all the human kids at Christmas?"

"Yes," said Midge. "We need an animal Santa. I want to talk to Santa too."

"Why do you want to take to Santa?" asked Booker-T.

"I want him to bring me something for Christmas," said Midge.

"What do you want?" asked Snappy.

"I want a new ball and a sweater," said Midge. "My ball got lost."

"Are we going to Jake's house this morning?" asked Booker-T.

"Yes," said Midge. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yes," said Booker-T.

Booker-T followed Midge through the kitchen to the doggie door. As Midge tried to poke her head out the door, it wouldn't move. She pushed hard but it wouldn't open.

"What happened?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't know," said Midge. "The door won't open."

Suddenly the door opened and Jake crawled into the house.

"Hi Jake," said Midge.

"What happened to your door?" asked Jake. "I tried to push it open and come in but the door wouldn't move."

"Ha ha ha," laughed Midge. "I was on the other side pushing. I didn't know what happened to the door."

"What are you two doing?" asked Jake.

"We were coming to your house," said Midge.

"What do you want to do today?" asked Jake

"She wants to go see Santa Claus," said Booker-T.

"Santa Claus is human for human kids," said Jake. "He won't know what you are telling him. I don't think he speaks dog."

"My owner told her niece that Santa understands everyone," said Midge. "Doesn't 'everyone' include us animals?"

"I don't know," said Jake.

"Do you know where Santa Claus is?" asked Midge.

"My owner took her little nephew to see Santa at the school," said Jake. "Maybe he is still there."

"Okay," smiled Midge. "Lets go see."

"What do you want for Christmas?" asked Jake.

"I want a new ball and a sweater," said Midge. "I lost my old ball."

"Maybe your owner will get you a new one," said Booker-T.

"But how do I tell her I want one?" asked Midge. "She don't understand dog talk."

"If Santa is really a human," said Jake. "He won't understand dog talk either."

"I think Santa can understand all talk," said Midge. "Lets go see him."

They squeezed out the doggie door and hurried along the sidewalk to the school. Parked in front of the school was a big red limo with 'Santa' written on the side. Midge put her front paws on the side of the car and pushed her nose against the glass to see inside. Silver bells hung around the limo from the roof and hanging from the mirror was a little tiny reindeer.

"Look inside," smiled Midge. "It's decorated."

Jake put his front paws on the side of the car and looked through the window. "Wow," said Jake. "It is really pretty inside.

Booker-T was too short to look through the side windows so he jumped on the hood and looked inside through the front window. "It is pretty inside," said Booker-T.

"Where is he?" asked Midge. "I want to see him."

"Look over there," said Jake. "He is coming out of the school now. Go run and see him."

Midge ran to the man in the long white beard and red suit. She poked her nose at his leg. Santa looked down and patted Midge on the head. Midge looked up at him and told him she wanted a sweater and a ball for Christmas.

They stood and watched him get into the limo and drive away.

"Did you tell him what you wanted?" asked Booker-T.

"Yes," smiled Midge.

"Did he say anything?" asked Jake.

"No," sighed Midge. "He didn't say anything. Do you think he understood me?"

"I don't know Midge," said Jake. "Maybe will have to wait til Christmas day."

"Maybe," agreed Midge. "What do you guys want for Christmas?"

"I want some kitty toys and treats," said Booker-T.

"I want a nice warm sweater and a doggie toy," said Jake.

"Maybe we will get our wishes for Christmas," said Midge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T