Friday, December 25, 2020

It is Christmas Day

 

Midge stood up and stretched. She jumped off the bed where her owner was still sleeping. Midge ran out into the living room and stood a moment staring at the Christmas tree that stood near the front window. Under the tree, were several small gift boxes with bright colored ribbons. She leaped into the chair beside the tank where Snappy was sitting on a log watching the snow falling outside.

"Hi Midge," said Snappy. "Did you see it snowing?"

"Hi Snappy," smiled Midge as she looked out the window. "Isn't the snow pretty falling. We have a white Christmas."

"Is today Christmas?" asked Snappy.

"Yes," said Midge. "Our owner is still sleeping."

"Do you see all those presents under the tree?' asked Snappy.

"Yes," said Midge. "What do you want for Christmas, Snappy?"

"I don't know," said Snappy. "I never got presents before. Is there something under the tree for me too?"

"I don't know," replied Midge. "Maybe. I will go look."

Midge jumped out of the chair and went to the tree. She poked her head under the tree trying to see the names on the presents. After looking at the boxes, she ran back to the chair and leaped in putting her paws up on the side of the tank.

"There are two boxes with my name on them and I saw one for you Snappy," said Midge.

"Who are the other ones for?" asked Snappy. "I think our owner's family are coming for dinner and something called Gift exchange. I think that is something humans do. I will have to ask Jake what that means."

"Are you going to Jake's house this morning?" asked Snappy.

"No," said Midge. "I won't see him or Booker-T until tomorrow morning."

"What is Jake doing today?" asked Snappy. "Does he like Christmas?"

"He loves Christmas," said Midge. "I think Booker-T does too."

"I guess Christmas day, some humans go to see other humans," said Snappy. "But animals stay home."

"I think they do," said Midge.

Midge stood on the back of the chair staring out the window at the snow falling making everything white. Snappy stood on his big log looking up at the snow falling outside the window.

"Can you make a snowman?" asked Snappy.

"No," said Midge shaking her head. "I don't have hands to do it with. I wish I was a human so I could make one."

"It's okay Midge," said Snappy. "I like that you are a dog and are my friend."

"Me too Snappy," said Midge. "I'm happy you are living here in the house with me."

"It is too cold in the park with all the snow," said Snappy. "You got me this nice new home with your owner. Thank you, Midge."

"You didn't tell me what you want for Christmas," said Midge.

"I don't know," said Snappy. "I have a really nice home in this tank. What else do I need."

"Maybe our owner got you something nice," said Midge. "She is really nice."

Midge laid down and fell asleep as she watched the snow falling. She dreamed of everyone opening presents and the house smelled like cookies and cinnamon. She woke up when she heard the kids outside laughing as they pulled each other along the sidewalk on their sled. She sat up as her owner entered the room.

Good morning Midge," said her owner.

Midge stared up at her, tilting her head back and forth listening to her soft voice.

Midge's owner walked to the tank where Snappy sat on his log. She sprinkled some food into the tank for for him. "Hello Snappy." said the owner.. "Come on Midge and I'll feed you in the kitchen."

Midge followed her to the kitchen and sat staring up at her while she filled her bowl with fresh water and the other bowl with her food. "There you are Midge," said the owner.

As Midge ate her breakfast, her owner put on a small pot of coffee and the smell of the fresh coffee filled the room. Midge finished her breakfast and ran to the living room and sat near the tree.

"It's Christmas, Midge," said the owner. "Here is a box for you."

Midge tore the wrapping with her teeth and inside she found a pink rubber ball. Midge wagged her tail showing her owner she was happy. Her owner opened the other package. Inside was a blue and white sweater. "This is for you Midge," said the owner as she slipped the sweater on Midge. "It will keep you warm when you go outside."

Midge climbed into her owners lap and licked her on the cheek and nuzzled her neck with her nose. Her owner petted Midge on the head. "Time for some Coffee," smiled Midge's owner as she got up off the floor and went to the kitchen. Midge rolled ball around on the floor while Snappy watched.

Midge's owner entered the room carrying her cup of coffee. She set it on the coffee table and went to the tree. Under the tree, she picked up a small box and carried to the tank. Opening the box, she pulled out some new rocks and flowers for Snappy's tank. "This is for you Snappy," said their owner. "Merry Christmas Snappy and Midge."

"Hey Midge," said Snappy. "I really like your pretty sweater. See my nice new rocks and flowers."

"They are pretty," smiled Midge. "Christmas is nice, Snappy."

"The Christmas tree smells good too," said Snappy. "Like the pine trees in the park."

"Do you miss it?" asked Midge.

"Sometimes I miss the park and the little pond, but I like my new little home here," said Snappy. "Too many humans around the pond and I almost got stepped on. So now am happy here with you and our owner."

"I'm glad you are here too," smiled Midge. "Merry Christmas, Snappy."

"Merry Christmas, Midge," said Snappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T