Friday, March 11, 2022

The Boxes

 

Midge stood on the bed and stretched before jumping to the floor and followed her owner to the kitchen. She sat on the floor near her bowl as she watched her owner putting water into the coffee pot that sat on the counter. She waited patiently as she got the pot started. In a few minutes, her owner got the bag of dog food from the pantry closet and filled her bowl. She then patted Midge on the head. “Good morning Midge.” smiled her owner. “Here's some fresh water also for you.”

As Midge ate her food and drank some water her owner walked back to the bedroom where she finished getting dressed for work and the coffee smell filled the kitchen. Midge ran to the living room and leaped into the chair next to Snappy's tank. Their owner put some fresh food into Snappy's tank while Midge stood in the chair and watched.

“Did you eat your breakfast, Midge,” asked Snappy.

“Yes,” said Midge.

“Are you going to Jake's house this morning?” asked Snappy.

“He and Booker-T are coming here so they can say hi to you today,” smiled Midge.

“That will be nice,” said Snappy. “I miss them sometimes.”

“You can come with us to the farm,” suggested Midge. “Jake can pull you in the wagon if you want to go. It will be fun Snappy.”

“I am very little,” said Snappy. “So I am safer here in my little tank home, but will be good to see them when they come.”

“I think you have a nice home with a big log to sit on and a small pond to swim in,” smiled Midge. “And no one to step on you here. Maybe when the spring comes, Jake can carry you into the back yard so you can play with us in the fountain. The water is turned off right now because it is too cold out there.”

“That will be fun,” said Snappy. “And I can lay on the edge of the fountain in the sun. I think the warm sun is what I miss most of all. It always feels good to sit in it.”

“The sun is good,,” agreed Midge. “I don't like the really cold weather. I am waiting for the warm spring to come.”

“Do you like to play in the snow?” asked Snappy.

“It's fun but it is very cold on my feet,” sighed Midge. “Booker-T don't have to go into the snow to do his duty like Jake and I do. I don't know why the humans don't have dog boxes like they have Cat boxes.”

“What's a cat box?” asked Snappy.

“Hi Snappy,” said Booker-T as he entered the room. “What are you talking about?”

“Midge was saying you had a cat box,” said Snappy. “What is a cat box?”

“It's a potty for cats,” said Booker-T.

“Why don't Midge and Jake have one?” asked Snappy.

“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “I don't think they make cat boxes for dogs.”

“Maybe you can share your box with Midge,” suggested Snappy. “You are friends.”

“She can come use my box,” smiled Booker-T. “But she would have to walk outside in the cold and come to my house.”

“I still would have to go out in the cold and the snow when it is snowing,” laughed Midge.

“They need to make boxes for dogs,” said Snappy. “Maybe some day a smart human will make one.”

“I sure would like that,” said Midge.

“What would you like?” asked Jake as he entered the room and joined Midge and Booker-T. “What are you guys talking about?”

“Hi Jake,” smiled Booker-T. “We were talking about my cat box again.”

“Why?” asked Jake.

“Midge said Booker-T was lucky because he has a box and don't have to get out in the cold weather to do his duty,” said Snappy. Do you have a box, Jake?”

“No,” said Jake. I just walk outside in the cold. I don't think they make dog boxes.”

“Maybe your owners can buy you a cat box to use,” suggested Snappy.

“Why are you talking about cat boxes again?” asked Jake. “We talked about them before.”

“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Why are you talking about my box, Midge?”

“Snappy asked about going outside to do our duty as animals when it is very cold out there,” said Midge. “I just told him that Booker-T had a cat box and didn't need to go outside.”

“We should talk about something else,” laughed Jake as he pressed his nose against Snappy's tank glass. I like your flowers and your little pond, Snappy.”

“Me too,” smiled Snappy. “Midge said when spring comes you will carry me outside and we can all play in our owner's fountain in the back yard when she fills it with water. Will you Jake? Will you carry me outside in the sun?”

“Sure, Snappy,” said Jake as he nodded his head. 'I think we have two more weeks of winter, maybe.”

“I like being in the sun,” smiled Snappy.

“Me too,” smiled Jake. “I like to take a nap in the warm sunlight. Soon it will be warm again.”

"I wish it would hurry," smiled Midge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T