Friday, March 25, 2022

The Parade

 

“Hey Midge!” Called Snappy. “What are you doing?”

“I was eating breakfast,” said Midge as she hurried into the living room and jumped into the chair near Snappy's tank. “Are you okay?”

“Look out the window,” said Snappy.

Midge pressed her nose to the window and saw a lot of humans coming down the street. Suddenly music started to play.

“What are they doing?” asked Snappy.

“I don't know,” said Midge. “It looks like some kind of parade.”

“What is a parade?” asked Snappy. “I never saw one before.”

“I saw them on TV before,” said Midge. “My owner puts on some parades when some holidays are here.”

“Is this a holiday?” asked Snappy.

“I don't think so,” said Midge. “Our owner is usually at home if it is a holiday.

“There is Jake and Booker-T coming this way,” said Snappy. “Maybe Jake knows what the parade is for.”

Jake and Booker-T entered the yard and ran to the back door where they crawled through the doggie door into the house.

“Come on outside Midge,” said Booker-T

“I'll be back Snappy, “ said Midge as she ran outside following Jake and Booker-T. “What is the Parade for?”

“The high school won the big football game and today they are having a big parade to celebrate the win,” said Jake.

“But wasn't the game played in December?” asked Midge.

“Yes,” said Jake. “I heard my owner talking to someone on the phone about the parade today and tonight there is a big dance at the high school.”

“Wow, Midge,” said Booker-T. “Look at the pretty horses. Does the school have horses too?”

“No,” said Jake. “I think they are just in the parade from one of the farms.”

“I like those drums,” smiled Midge. “I could play the drums.”

“No you can't,” said Jake.

“Sure I can,” laughed Midge. “I could play them with my paws.”

“Where are you going to get a drum?” asked Booker-T.

“Maybe I can learn to play the drum and I can be in the next parade,” suggested Midge.

“Sure,” laughed Jake. “The drum playing dog.”

“It can happen,” said Midge nodding her head. “It looks easy to hit the drum.”

“And how would you march down the street and carry a drum?” asked Jake. “And hit the drum with your feet.”

“I don't think you can do it, Midge,” said Booker-T.

“Maybe that would be hard to do,” said Midge. “But I can ride on the wagon and hit the drum with my feet.”

“Look at those show dogs dressed in those costumes,” said Jake. “They are dressed like football players.”

“That's funny,” said Booker-T.

“I think they are cute,” said Midge. “I can dress up and walk with them,”

“Walking, you can do,” laughed Jake. “You are good at that, but you don't have a costume.”

“What are those girls doing?” asked Midge.

“I think they are twirling,” said Jake.

“Twirling?” asked Midge. “What is twirling?”

“What they are doing?” said Jake.

“Yes, what are they doing?” asked Midge.

“They are twirling,” said Jake. “That is what it is called.”

“Oh,” said Midge. “What are those things they are twirling?”

“My owner calls them batons,” said Jake. She has one in her bedroom and she has a picture of herself with one in her hand.”

“She can do that twirling stuff?” asked Booker-T.

“I think so,” said Jake.

“Maybe we can go to the dance tonight,” suggested Midge. “Where is it?”

“I don't know,” said Jake. “Maybe at the school. I think they have a place they can dance.”

“Our owners will be home,” said Booker-T. “So we have to stay home.”

“I forgot about that,” sighed Midge. “I think we can sneak out and go.”

“No,” said Jake. “That's not a good idea. I think we need to stay home. We can't dance with the humans anyway.”

“I can dance,” said Midge.

“I know you can,” said Jake. “You can dance good.”

“But we can't go, can we?” asked Midge.

“No,” said Jake.

“Our owner would be angry if we left the house and they couldn't find us,” said Booker-T.

“I don't want our owners to be angry with us,” said Midge. “So we will stay home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T