Thursday, September 22, 2022

The Make Believe

 

Midge was sitting on the front porch in the swing watching the little humans walking past the house on their way to the school.

Have a good day,” said Midge as Booker-T ran through the gate into the yard and came up on the porch.

Who are you talking to?” asked Booker-T. “Were you talking to me?”

No,” said Midge. “I was wishing the little humans a good day.”

They don't hear what you say,” said Booker-T. “Only we animals understand you when you talk.”

I know,” sighed Midge. “Everyone is my subject. You are my subject.”

Subject of what?” asked Booker-T. “What are you talking about?”

You are a subject of my kingdom,” said Midge.

What kingdom?” asked Booker-T. “The Animal kingdom?”

All of kingdom?” said Midge with a slight smile.

Are you sleeping?” asked Booker-T.

I am awake,” said Midge. “I have been awake for two hours now.”

Are you being funny?” asked Booker-T.

No,” said Midge. “Why would I be funny?”

I don't think you are yourself this morning,” said Booker-T. “What is wrong?”

Hey guys,” said Jake as he and Lucy walked through the gate and joined Booker-T and Midge at the porch.

We heard you ask Midge what is wrong,” said Lucy. “Is she okay?”

I don't know,” said Booker-T. “She is talking funny. I thought she was talking in her sleep but she says she is awake.”

What are you talking about?” asked Jake.

I was telling Booker-T that he and everyone are my subjects,” said Midge.

Subject of what?” asked Jake. “I'm not a subject. I'm a dog.”

I know you are a dog,” said Midge nodding her head. “And Booker-T is a cat and Lucy is a dog.”

Then what are you talking about that everyone is your subjects?” asked Lucy. “Are you making us all a subject of your ideas for the day?”

Oh no,” said Midge. “You are my loyal subjects.”

We are all loyal friends,” said Jake. “Me, Lucy, Booker-T, Gabby, Snappy and you.”

You are all my subject,” said Midge. “But I am no one's subject.”

Why are you different?” asked Jake. “What kind of game are we playing this morning?”

It isn't a game,” smiled Midge. “I'm your Queen.”

The three of them sat down and started rolling around on the ground laughing at Midge.

I think she is dreaming,” suggested Booker-T. “She must be talking in her sleep. Try to wake her up, Jake.”

Hey Midge!” said Jake poking her on the head. “Wake up!”

I am awake,” said Midge. “have been awake for about 2 hours.”

Who made you Queen?” asked Lucy.

I decided that I was a Queen,” said Midge. “And you are all my subjects.”

Why?” asked Jake. “How did you decide that you were Queen? Did you have a dream last night?”

No,” said Midge. “My owner was watching TV last night and they had a show on about some Queen who died. So I decided I would take her place and become the Queen. Don't you think I would make a good Queen?”

Maybe a nutty Queen,” laughed Booker-T.

'You can't just make yourself Queen because someone died,” said Jake. “I don't think it

works that way.”

I don't think it works that way either,” said Lucy.

Don't you have to be part of a Royal family to be a Queen?” asked Jake.

Hey you guys!” said Gabby as he flew down from the tree limb above and landed on the porch rain. “What are you guys talking about?”

Hi Gabby,” said Booker-T. “Midge thinks she is Queen and we are her subjects.”

We are her what?” asked Gabby.

Her subjects, Gabby,” laughed Jake.

Is she sleeping?” asked Gabby.

No,” said Lucy. “But she is dreaming.”

Can she dream when she is awake?” asked Gabby.

I'm not sure,” said Jake. “But if you can dream when awake, I think Midge is dreaming.”

Hello Midge,” said Gabby as he bowed forward. “Just how did you become a queen?”

Well, Gabby, my dear subject,” said Midge. “I decided I was going to be the Queen of all those subjects that the human queen died and left behind.”

But, Midge,” said Gabby. “It don't work that way. You can decide to make yourself a Queen. You aren't her daughter so you can't be the next Queen. Time to wake up now, Midge.”

I'm not sleeping,” sighed Midge.

But you are dreaming,” smiled Gabby. “We all love you and we are all friends. If you want to pretend you are a Queen, we all will play the game with you.”

Gabby is right,” said Jake. “We all like to play make-believe.”

If you want to be Queen,” said Booker-T. “We will all pretend to be your subjects. Sounds like a fun game to play.”

Do you want to play, Queen and subjects today?” asked Lucy.

No,” said Midge. “I think I want to do something else now.”

Okay,” agreed Booker-T. “What do you want to do?”

I want to do something fun,” smiled Midge. “Lets all think now.”

They all sat down and stared at each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T